3-0 Baby!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Which would be preferable, playing UCONN or the originally scheduled game with Clemson? I’m asking cuz I really can’t decide.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ZapPoke wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pm Which would be preferable, playing UCONN or the originally scheduled game with Clemson? I’m asking cuz I really can’t decide.
Clemson. Because strange things can happen and this is a team that could pull an upset IMO.
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Whoa, I'm not sure Clemson was such a great idea in the first place... Maybe playing a team of that caliber has it's upside. Give them a good game, and we look good in comparison. Probably so. But the depth of a team like that would probably wear a team like ours down fast, especially at home. And I'd be really afraid of potential injuries to key players on our team. That could really screw up the rest of the season. Could we afford to lose Chambers (again), Neyor, any interior defensive lineman, etc.? Beating up on a dumpster fire like UConn may not be overly impressive, but having ALL of our players for AFA, Fresno, etc. might be more important than "moral victory" against one of college football's best (at this point of the season).
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 10 times

I think you only find out how good your team is when you play superior opponents. So forget the fluff games, play harder opponents.
wwplayer
Buckaroo

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:36 am I think you only find out how good your team is when you play superior opponents. So forget the fluff games, play harder opponents.
This is very true - to a point. But teams like 'Bama, Clemson etc. are not really "superior" opponents. Due to the current structure of college football, they're more like pro teams. As much as we'd like it to be like the 1960's, when there was a LOT more parity, it's definitely not true now. How about "superior" teams (more "middle of the pack" P5 types) that we would actually have a chance at beating? Then when we are 12-0 or 11-1 (and still have most, if not all of our weapons) and get invited to a higher level bowl, we see how we do against one of these "pro quality" teams. I'm all for hanging with the best. In my field I've had to do it (a lot). But sometimes the old phrase "discretion is the better part of valor" needs to be remembered. Don't put yourself in impossible positions. A small "moral victory" might really be more of a "season killing beat down" in the longer term.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

wwplayer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:10 am
WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:36 am I think you only find out how good your team is when you play superior opponents. So forget the fluff games, play harder opponents.
This is very true - to a point. But teams like 'Bama, Clemson etc. are not really "superior" opponents. Due to the current structure of college football, they're more like pro teams. As much as we'd like it to be like the 1960's, when there was a LOT more parity, it's definitely not true now. How about "superior" teams (more "middle of the pack" P5 types) that we would actually have a chance at beating? Then when we are 12-0 or 11-1 (and still have most, if not all of our weapons) and get invited to a higher level bowl, we see how we do against one of these "pro quality" teams. I'm all for hanging with the best. In my field I've had to do it (a lot). But sometimes the old phrase "discretion is the better part of valor" needs to be remembered. Don't put yourself in impossible positions. A small "moral victory" might really be more of a "season killing beat down" in the longer term.
I agree. Other FBS non-P5 schools who are comparable to us. Or as you suggested, P5 schools who aren't among the best in the nation. Mizzou was a pretty good example.
wwplayer
Buckaroo

4-0 is great. Much better than 3-1, 2-2, 1-3 or 0-4. But after today, does anyone here still think we have any business scheduling the Clemsons of the world?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

wwplayer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 pm 4-0 is great. Much better than 3-1, 2-2, 1-3 or 0-4. But after today, does anyone here still think we have any business scheduling the Clemsons of the world?
After losing to NC State, I bet they wished they would have kept the game with Wyo
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:27 pm
wwplayer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:36 pm 4-0 is great. Much better than 3-1, 2-2, 1-3 or 0-4. But after today, does anyone here still think we have any business scheduling the Clemsons of the world?
After losing to NC State, I bet they wished they would have kept the game with Wyo
Our game with Clemson was replaced with Georgia. Highly unlikely that it would have made a difference to them. Yes they would potentially have one more win, but that doesn't mean they'd go on to beat NC State anyway. I'm content with where we are. In all honesty you play who your scheduled to play and win no matter what, the rest comes with it.
wwplayer
Buckaroo

Again, it's great to be 4-0. But considering how we played against "the worst team in college football" (obviously, UConn is not nearly as bad as their reputation), would a game, right now, have been advisable against one of the true powers of the P5, despite the fact they're a little down this year? However, at the end of the season, if we were to be 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 or such - yes, I would love to see that.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

wwplayer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:03 am Again, it's great to be 4-0. But considering how we played against "the worst team in college football" (obviously, UConn is not nearly as bad as their reputation), would a game, right now, have been advisable against one of the true powers of the P5, despite the fact they're a little down this year? However, at the end of the season, if we were to be 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 or such - yes, I would love to see that.
That is just it. Just because UConn is the worst team in the FBS, does not mean they will always play that way. Teams can show up at any week. Clemson saw that with NC State this week too. So did Minnesota with BGSU. The point is this team found a way to get it done, even if it was a two-point victory.
wwplayer
Buckaroo

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 am
wwplayer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:03 am Again, it's great to be 4-0. But considering how we played against "the worst team in college football" (obviously, UConn is not nearly as bad as their reputation), would a game, right now, have been advisable against one of the true powers of the P5, despite the fact they're a little down this year? However, at the end of the season, if we were to be 12-0, 11-1, 10-2 or such - yes, I would love to see that.
That is just it. Just because UConn is the worst team in the FBS, does not mean they will always play that way. Teams can show up at any week. Clemson saw that with NC State this week too. So did Minnesota with BGSU. The point is this team found a way to get it done, even if it was a two-point victory.
Yes, they did get it done, which is fantastic. That said, with the possible exception of the way they played Ball State, if they don't play a lot better against some of the foes they have coming up, we'll definitely start to see some losses. Teams can and do show up. Weird things can happen - turnovers, penalties at the wrong time, etc. Clemson is down this year/NC State is up from where they've been. Minnesota, while B10, is one of those "middle of the pack" P5 teams I mentioned in a previous post. But the bottom line here is - despite a nice 4-0 start to the season, our Cowboys need to get it a lot more together for this season to be the huge success we all hope it to be.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

^I think so too. I feel we have a chance in every game. Even the ones upcoming against Fresno, Boise, and Utah State. This team has shown it can play well, so the players know it can be done. I just can't wait to see how much we get up for the big games.