Your thoughts on conference realignment rumors?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:19 am CSU fans are truly delusional. They thik they are the Sh#t in all things. It's comical. They probably have a bunch of east coast douches running their school so it wouldn't surprise me to see them leave, I guess. It would be hilarious to see them in a conference with a bunch of eastern small private schools and commuter schools they have nothing in common with. Hilarious they are even considering. Would not care one iota if AFA left.
If AF and csu go, it'll be interesting to see what our TV contract does. I doubt either of those move the needle much. We might actually have addition by subtraction.

I can't believe csu is considering it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

So I’m reading that the CSU to AAC crap is real. What . The. Hell.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I wouldn't be surprised to see CSU pull such a monumental bone head move, but I fail to see how AFA gets any benefit from this. They play Navy and Army every year in every sport. They don't need to be in that conference for that.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:34 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see CSU pull such a monumental bone head move, but I fail to see how AFA gets any benefit from this. They play Navy and Army every year in every sport. They don't need to be in that conference for that.
If CSewe moved to the AAC, it would be such a major mistake for them, that I would gain YEARS of laughter at their expense. Maybe they think the AAC is the stepping stone to get to the "bigs" but it isn't. Then again, maybe they hit a reality-wall, and realized they are not competitive (without Sonny) in the MWC, so it is time to dummy it down a bit to be more competitive. LMFAO!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :lol: :lol:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

What I am reading is that CSEwe and AFart are convinced that Boize and San Diego St. are going to the Big 12 (or whatever the hell it is). So, they are pre-empting the MW's fall in tiers now, by moving laterally to the AAC so they aren't completely without a chair after the music stops. Smart? Dumb? They clearly have to have intel on BSU and SDSU...or this would be a monumentally stupid move. Or, perhaps the AD and Prez in Fart Colons thought they said "ACC" and not "AAC"? This is CSEwe after all.

My thinking is that the AAC and MW (and every other G5) had better prepare to be left out going forward anyway. I'd take a hard look at the four 16 team conferences idea that has been lingering like the stench in high school locker room for the past 6 years and realize that the decision to table the expansion of the Playoff was done to allow the positioning to commence to create the Super 4 and punt everyone else to the curb.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Anyway, this certainly is not good for us. Our main rival is leaving, along with the other CO school. This can't help recruiting in CO. This means the conference is heavily in the Pacific time zone now and we are on an island. Baffling that CSU would do this. I truly don't understand what they are thinking.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:08 pm Baffling that CSU would do this. I truly don't understand what they are thinking.
People at CSU think?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

There is no way we come out of this well. Looking back, I can't believe how naive I was during the MWC of the 2001 through 2010 or so...I legitimately though "oh..look how good the top of the conference is...there is no way that we will get overlooked when it comes to playoffs and bowl selections"...lol. It turns out, that was just the first shot in the financial destruction of the lower revenue tier of college football. This is what relegation looks like.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:42 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:08 pm Baffling that CSU would do this. I truly don't understand what they are thinking.
People at CSU think?
I think its fairly predictable...Nearly doubles the payout. I know that it won't last...I think they all know it as well....but if you have a chance at the money now, I guess you have to take it.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I just can't see CSU leaving. I have to believe this is an attempt to get rid of Boise's sweetheart deal and can Craig Thompson. AFA might be gone.

I think the most likely scenario might actually be the best case scenario.

I think CSU stays and AFA goes. Would I miss AFA: not really. Our athletes knees would appreciate not having to play those dirty pricks. They're a damn anchor at basketball anyway. If we want to schedule them ooc, that would probably be really easy to arrange since AFA would free up an ooc game by joining the AAC.

I think Craig Thompson might lose his job over this because the rumor says he's the main reason CSU wants to leave. That would be a win for the league.

If you go to the Gonzaga board right now, about 90 percent of their fans want to move to the MWC. They all dread playing in their conference without BYU. They all see the MWC as a step-up and the only realistic option for them. I think this is not only possible but probable. I think Gonzaga is coming as long as we don't lose any basketball powers.

At that point, we could just chose to stay at 11 football members and share AFA's money between us or add a Texas team for Texas recruiting. Either way, I don't think it makes much difference.

I just can't see CSU leaving. This has to be a power play by CSU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

If any of this is true, there must be a lot of other things going on and none of it good. Let's hope oldbull is right and csu is just jockeying for power and leverage to get what they want.

With that said, our TV money isn't great. Our bowls suck. Our start times and tv times often suck. etc. etc. Perhaps it isn't what they are getting as much as what they aren't tied into?

Very strange times. I also go back to what I heard the nmsu AD say regarding that meeting a few weeks ago. I wonder if there were signs of a pending seismic shift coming out of that deal? I'm pretty certain we aren't operating with all the information.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Does anyone really believe that ESPN wants to pay CSU, AFA, UAB, Temple, ECU, USF, Navy, Tulsa, Memphis, and UConn.......7 milllion dollars each per season for the rights to broadcast their games? There's no way they're going to get that.

There's a clause in the AAC contract that allows ESPN to re-negotiate the t.v. deal if the AAC loses the following 4 markets: UConn, Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF. All those teams are gone. The new rumor is that UCONN will be invited back for football only to by-pass that clause. I don't know if that's true, but you can bet your ass that's what Aresco is telling CSU and AFA, that they're going to be getting 7 million a year without Boise and SDSU. I just can't see that happening.

Supposedly, there are a lot of people in Colorado Springs and the U.S. Air Force that aren't crazy about this either. They can't see sacrificing everything they've built in this part of the country for a chance at a possible increase in revenue. Powerful boosters are against the move. The one thing I know about AFA is that one reason they want a move is to free up an out of conference game. Since they're required to play Navy and Army every year, they don't have flexibility with their schedule. Wouldn't it be really simple for the MWC to just allow AFA to play one less conference game per year and use winning percentage to determine who gets in the conference championship game?

The more I'm reading about this, the harder it is getting for me to believe this is going to work for the AAC. The more I'm learning about this, the more I believe that we'll lose AFA at the most. CSU, not a chance.

The other thing I've learned: a lot of Gonzaga fans want in the MWC now that BYU is gone. Regardless of what happens with CSU and AFA, the MWC needs to go get Gonzaga.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Old-bull, I don't think your statements are wrong but what if it isn't what they'll receive but what they'll avoid?

A lot doesn't make any sense which leads me to believe decisions are being made based other information that isn't known to the general public.

I guess it's possible that csu is just doing csu things but this seems out there even for them.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LKGates wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:03 pm What are your thoughts on the rumors of CSU and AFA to the AAC? I have a hard time believing it. Financially, it just doesn't seem to make sense. The next AAC television contract is almost certainly going to be worse, with the departure of Houston, UCF and Cincinnati. Travel costs will be significantly higher. Then there is the exit fee from the MWC. Add in the non-financial factors. Maybe it doesn't matter as much for AFA, but for CSU, trading good longstanding regional rivalries for a bunch of schools that no one in Colorado cares about? I just don't get it.

Do you think it will happen?

If it does happen, who should the MWC backfill with, if anyone?
The AAC without Cincy, Houston and UCF puts the MWC at the top of the non-P5 conferences, so they'd be joining a weaker conference, with a bunch of pretty far away games. Now if we lose Boise and San Diego then it could be a bad thing.
Rich K
Buckaroo

This was posted over on the Montana State board. These guys have obviously thought about this a great deal. Towards the end they talk more about the FCS ramifications then you guys are probably interested in but the first part of it they do a pretty good dive into the FBS realignment.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:49 pm I just can't see CSU leaving. I have to believe this is an attempt to get rid of Boise's sweetheart deal and can Craig Thompson.
This is spot on. I could see a few people at CSU pushing for this, but for the most part there's no way the board goes for this.

Craig Thompson should have lost his job years ago. It would have made our last TV negotiations go much better.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Old Bull - Getting Gonzaga would be awesome. May as well add Wichita State while we are at it. Yeah, there were newspaper articles in the Denver Post and the springs paper that opined that this move is dumb dumb dumb.

Yes, no way their money is going to be better long-term (unless everything blows up and goes to hell in a hand basket with the MWC, but what's to say that won't happen with their new conference?). Those AAC schools are blah. I mean BLAH. Complete afterthoughts in their own states, regions, markets, etc. Like what % of south Florida students actually are primary fans of south florida? like 10% I would bet they are all Gator or Seminole or Canes fans first and foremost.

Really low what CSU is doing, unless they are playing 4D chess to get rid of Thompson, improve our start times, kill the Boise special deal and get us better bowl tie-ins to boot. Doubt CSU is doing any of that so they can go pound sand forever. This does hurt, I'll admit. So much history and tradition thrown out for what exactly?? Let us win the Border War one last time, never schedule them in anything ever again and keep the Boot in our trophy case forever.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Rich K wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am This was posted over on the Montana State board. These guys have obviously thought about this a great deal. Towards the end they talk more about the FCS ramifications then you guys are probably interested in but the first part of it they do a pretty good dive into the FBS realignment.
How does Montana and Montana State feel about moving up and being in the MWC? I'd be in favor. Would love to be conference mates with the Montana schools in the big boy league, of course.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:59 am
Rich K wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:45 am This was posted over on the Montana State board. These guys have obviously thought about this a great deal. Towards the end they talk more about the FCS ramifications then you guys are probably interested in but the first part of it they do a pretty good dive into the FBS realignment.
How does Montana and Montana State feel about moving up and being in the MWC? I'd be in favor. Would love to be conference mates with the Montana schools in the big boy league, of course.
We’re not going to be in the “big boy” league for much longer. The move by OU and Texas made it abundantly clear that the biggest schools are moving forward with a 4 conference division . The Big 12 will be out along with all the G5 conferences. None of these schools will ever get a chance at a playoff spot. All this jockeying is for nothing; when the dominoes fall there will be the G4 and everyone else. ESPN has already been trying to dismantle the Big 12…they want nothing to do with that TV contract and it certainly won’t exist beyond the next renegotiation term with the current teams.

I’m hopeful that means the formation of a middle division between FCS and FBS with a meaningful playoff that teams like Wyoming can actually reach. I’d love to have Montana and Montana State move up into this new division and have them as rivals. It’s a sad time in CFB, and ESPN is to blame.