MWC over rated and under rated

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I was thinking about this and I'm not so sure that I'm ready to declare this a meat grinder just yet. Not enough games for a large sample size and there have been some good wins to be sure.
AF 2-1 with best win a bad Navy team
usu undefeated with win over AF and P5 WSU (beat Portland State and was routed by USC)
bsu who has a couple losses against presumably some tough competition
FSU looks solid with a good win against UCLA who routed a bad Hawaii team and beat an LSU team who the jury is still out. FSU also looked solid against Oregon
SJSU who beat up on Southern Utah, was blown out by USC, and squeaked by a bad Hawaii team
sdsu who beat a terrible NMSU team, a hapless AZ team, and a Utah team that might end up not being that good this year
Nevada who has the win against Cal who the jury is still out on (best achievement is coming close to an untested TCU team)
WYO who struggled against Montana State, and beat up on some other teams who may not be that good of wins by season's end.

You can only play and win the games on the schedule and beating P5 teams is always good. However, sometimes those wins aren't a great indication of how things go the rest of the season. I guess I'm not ready to anoint this season as super tough just yet. I'm betting more than a few of those teams above end up being average and a couple end up being legit. Too hard to tell at this point, imo.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Great question! My answer is underrated but not by much. I think that BSU having lost two games is pretty abnormal and makes the entire conference look a little worse. As you pointed out...it's a mixed bag elsewhere. SDSU and Fresno look like the class of the conference right now but it is definitely not a slam dunk. My guess is that BSU is probably still the best in terms of talent. It will be interesting if these early losses sow the seeds of doubt in them with the new coach or if they turn into a buzz saw.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Good analysis. Watching Fresno, I think they are the real deal. The rest of the league, I have no clue. Considering some recent terrible years for the MWC, this seems to be a much needed comeback year for the conference. I like Wyoming's chances though!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

FSU looks like the team to beat. UNLV is terrible. CSU and NM aren't very good. Everyone else could win or lose to everyone else.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

If the MWC teams would just play sound games against BS State, and not beat themselves ... as they have in the past, this season could be Waterloo Time for BS State. Maybe I'm just wishful-thinking, but maybe not.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:50 pm If the MWC teams would just play sound games against BS State, and not beat themselves ... as they have in the past, this season could be Waterloo Time for BS State. Maybe I'm just wishful-thinking, but maybe not.
Nice history reference. :thumb:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!