Dark cloud in this silver lining.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

I’m calling it...Wyoming is firmly a small time piddling program. The signs are there and I can no longer deny them.

We play crap schedules and struggle.

Success is sporadic and unsustained.

We are decidedly average or below average under Bohl and it’s as good as we have been this century.

There are no teams out there, no matter how bad, that don’t think they can’t beat us.

And don’t give me that Paul Roach crap...the landscape of college football has changed and Wyoming has not. We are in the group of college football programs that don’t matter and we have been there for a long time. I remember when that was not the case but that was a loooooong time ago. Sometimes something changes and it’s a while before it becomes apparent. It’s not that I really even blame any particular coach or AD either….in a way, it was bound to happen. The aggregation of talent, money, and exposure away from the Wyomings of the world is a tough fact to contend with.

Look at the teams that matter...do you think they go to the wire with UCONN?...they may struggle for a half but if you have pulse … you put it away in the second half. Look at the CSU Iowa game today...CSU is one of those teams (like Wyoming) that does not matter. Iowa came out lethargic and got punched in the mouth by a bad CSU team for a half...then they woke up after halftime, remembered who they were, and took care of business. I’m sure Iowa fans are not happy about it but they are so obviously better than CSU. Can you make a claim that Wyoming is obviously better than UCONN?...I don’t think so. Wyoming will struggle with CSU …

I have wished that there was something special about Wyoming football...some little bit of hidden excellence that we had in our back pocket...maybe we weren't’ the biggest or baddest but we do things right and develop boys into men. Unfortunately the real world does not care for my small town sentiment. The final stanza of Casey at the Bat comes to mind:

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Mudville—mighty Casey has struck out.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

4-0

One can choose to be miserable or one can choose to support this team that finds ways to win.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

BTW - does anyone know Chambers record in games started where he isn’t forced to leave due to injury?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:08 pm 4-0

One can choose to be miserable or one can choose to support this team that finds ways to win.
Correct. No one ever goes, but we barely won a couple at the end of the year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:03 pm I’m calling it...Wyoming is firmly a small time piddling program. The signs are there and I can no longer deny them.

We are decidedly average or below average under Bohl and it’s as good as we have been this century.

There are no teams out there, no matter how bad, that don’t think they can’t beat us.

And don’t give me that Paul Roach crap...the landscape of college football has changed and Wyoming has not. We are in the group of college football programs that don’t matter and we have been there for a long time. I remember when that was not the case but that was a loooooong time ago. Sometimes something changes and it’s a while before it becomes apparent. It’s not that I really even blame any particular coach or AD either….in a way, it was bound to happen. The aggregation of talent, money, and exposure away from the Wyomings of the world is a tough fact to contend with.

Look at the teams that matter...do you think they go to the wire with UCONN?...they may struggle for a half but if you have pulse … you put it away in the second half. Look at the CSU Iowa game today...CSU is one of those teams (like Wyoming) that does not matter. Iowa came out lethargic and got punched in the mouth by a bad CSU team for a half...then they woke up after halftime, remembered who they were, and took care of business. I’m sure Iowa fans are not happy about it but they are so obviously better than CSU. Can you make a claim that Wyoming is obviously better than UCONN?...I don’t think so. Wyoming will struggle with CSU …

I have wished that there was something special about Wyoming football...some little bit of hidden excellence that we had in our back pocket...maybe we weren't’ the biggest or baddest but we do things right and develop boys into men. Unfortunately the real world does not care for my small town sentiment. The final stanza of Casey at the Bat comes to mind:

Moronic. Stopped reading almost immediately
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:24 pm Moronic. Stopped reading almost immediately
Hey...It's not like I'm happy about it...do you believe that legit football programs get through the murderers row that we have gone through (sarcasm intended) needing to come from behind in 3 of the 4?...I could see going to sleep for one and then waking up, but based on the way we got to 4-0...I'm calling this team and this program fraudulent.

These were coin flip games except for the Ball St game. Look it is always better to know who you are. Our record lets us deceive ourselves into thinking we are somebody else.

I remember a Wyoming program that would absolutely dunk on the level of competition that we have played so far... That is not who we are anymore. Those days may be permanently in our rear view.

Look ... this may turn out to be the mother of all bad takes...you obviously feel that is the case. I hate putting myself in a position to win an online argument when the pokes lose but I can't deny what I'm actually seeing on the field. I'm done pumping sunshine.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:08 pm 4-0

Don't get me wrong...I'm weirdly not miserable about it....not really happy about it though. I think I'm getting a decent feel for who this program is in the modern college football landscape. I still support them but I'm through deluding myself thinking that the late '80s and early '90s results are just around the corner. Should be a nice season this year since we have such a cupcake schedule, but we aren't contending for the MWC title.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:46 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:24 pm Moronic. Stopped reading almost immediately
Hey...It's not like I'm happy about it...do you believe that legit football programs get through the murderers row that we have gone through (sarcasm intended) needing to come from behind in 3 of the 4?...I could see going to sleep for one and then waking up, but based on the way we got to 4-0...I'm calling this team and this program fraudulent.

These were coin flip games except for the Ball St game. Look it is always better to know who you are. Our record lets us deceive ourselves into thinking we are somebody else.

I remember a Wyoming program that would absolutely dunk on the level of competition that we have played so far... That is not who we are anymore. Those days may be permanently in our rear view.

Look ... this may turn out to be the mother of all bad takes...you obviously feel that is the case. I hate putting myself in a position to win an online argument when the pokes lose but I can't deny what I'm actually seeing on the field. I'm done pumping sunshine.
We may not be legit, but we are decent. When was the last time Wyoming would have crammed the schedule we had this year? Late 90s? Did you read the game thread and those recalling all the HORRIFIC losses we have accumulated just in the Bohl years? You could have at least saved the doom and gloom hot fire takes after a loss. We are 4-0 and did what was expected with our schedule we had this year. We are meeting expectations
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:24 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:03 pm I’m calling it...Wyoming is firmly a small time piddling program. The signs are there and I can no longer deny them.

Classic GoWyoGo post. I don't always agree with everything 307 says, but to dismiss his points out of hand without a counter argument is just as moronic.

We Wyoming fans have been slapped down year after year with promises of improved talent, greater depth, team maturity that has led, year after year, to higher expectations for this team. I am extremely happy to be 4-0 at this point, but expected to be 4-0 after all the hype of the off-season. How we got to 4-0 is where I have some concerns. Having the #1 ranking as the most stable team in the country has risen my expectation as to how this team should have won those games. We have not met those expectations with 2 of these wins relying on last drive comebacks to what everyone in the CFB world saw as inferior teams and winning by a missed 2-point try to a team where we were favored by 30pts. I also agree that we would have lost these games in the past with our previous coaching staffs. I think Chambers is a gamer, but he has lost a step when it comes to his biggest asset coming in his Freshman year and he has never had the arm to compensate for his lack of dynamic running after the injuries.

Long rant short...I am happy we are 4-0, but we all expected to be. However, how we got here is less than ideal.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

I'm going to get chastised for this but that was a hell of a win. Point to UCONN's record all you want but look at their recruiting classes first. Then couple that with a HC that just took over and that same HC has a damn good resume. That UCONN team is just getting into the new leadership. Judge this win in 5 weeks not now.

I'll take it on the chin if i'm wrong but I think you're about to see a different UCONN team.

To me, this is Bohl ball. Finally. To be sure not all the way the there, but it's getting there. Don't underestimate this win or where the POKES team will be in late Oct. This is about to get pretty fun. Quit looking at it in a vacuum.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

We are who we are, anymore...no more no less. Our cardiac kids make it fun(kinda)....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:34 pm I'm going to get chastised for this but that was a hell of a win. Point to UCONN's record all you want but look at their recruiting classes first. Then couple that with a HC that just took over and that same HC has a damn good resume. That UCONN team is just getting into the new leadership. Judge this win in 5 weeks not now.

I'll take it on the chin if i'm wrong but I think you're about to see a different UCONN team.

To me, this is Bohl ball. Finally. To be sure not all the way the there, but it's getting there. Don't underestimate this win or where the POKES team will be in late Oct. This is about to get pretty fun. Quit looking at it in a vacuum.
You make a lot of great points. That UCONN team has some talent and the coaches running things right now have a lot of football knowledge and past success.

I don’t think UCONN will end with more than 3-4 wins but it will be an improved team. But to amass 100 yards of penalties with multiple turnovers after travelling 2000 miles and to still come out with a win, that is pretty impressive.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:34 pm I'm going to get chastised for this but that was a hell of a win. Point to UCONN's record all you want but look at their recruiting classes first. Then couple that with a HC that just took over and that same HC has a damn good resume. That UCONN team is just getting into the new leadership. Judge this win in 5 weeks not now.

You make a lot of great points. That UCONN team has some talent and the coaches running things right now have a lot of football knowledge and past success.

I don’t think UCONN will end with more than 3-4 wins but it will be an improved team. But to amass 100 yards of penalties with multiple turnovers after travelling 2000 miles and to still come out with a win, that is pretty impressive.
I will admit I haven't followed what was going on at UConn. From what I saw tonight, their new coach looks to be a guy that his team has bought into. Will be interesting to see how they finish the year. We may just have gotten lucky by playing them before they completely gelled behind the new coach...time will tell.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

The problem with Wyoming, that will always be the problem and the main reason they will never be part of the big time college football schools now is the population of Wyoming. That’s what everything comes down to.
It is what it is. So you make the best of what you can with what you can control. That’s the best anyone can do, is do the best at what you have control over. It’s better to be 4-0 though than 3-1 or worse.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:08 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:45 pm

I will admit I haven't followed what was going on at UConn. From what I saw tonight, their new coach looks to be a guy that his team has bought into. Will be interesting to see how they finish the year. We may just have gotten lucky by playing them before they completely gelled behind the new coach...time will tell.
Lou Spanos (interim coach) coached linebackers and was a defensive coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers for like 15 years. He also has been the linebackers coach for a couple other successful NFL defenses. Some of the other assistants for UCONN are longtime NFL guys as well. They know football.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:59 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:24 pm

Classic GoWyoGo post. I don't always agree with everything 307 says, but to dismiss his points out of hand without a counter argument is just as moronic.

We Wyoming fans have been slapped down year after year with promises of improved talent, greater depth, team maturity that has led, year after year, to higher expectations for this team. I am extremely happy to be 4-0 at this point, but expected to be 4-0 after all the hype of the off-season. How we got to 4-0 is where I have some concerns. Having the #1 ranking as the most stable team in the country has risen my expectation as to how this team should have won those games. We have not met those expectations with 2 of these wins relying on last drive comebacks to what everyone in the CFB world saw as inferior teams and winning by a missed 2-point try to a team where we were favored by 30pts. I also agree that we would have lost these games in the past with our previous coaching staffs. I think Chambers is a gamer, but he has lost a step when it comes to his biggest asset coming in his Freshman year and he has never had the arm to compensate for his lack of dynamic running after the injuries.

Long rant short...I am happy we are 4-0, but we all expected to be. However, how we got here is less than ideal.
I am going to enjoy the fact that we didn’t melt down and are 4-0. It’s a mortal lock we have at least one melt per season and we haven’t! I just think it’s bush league to pull this at this time on our 4-0 boys after they have shown so much heart and pride. Might as well throw our support behind our UNDEFEATED team rather than call us small time.
TrackPoke
Ranch Hand

307bball sounds like he lost $110,000 tonight:
https://sports.yahoo.com/bettor-loses-1 ... 17682.html
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Definitely not ideal the way we got here, but at the end of the day all that matters is the record…we’re 4-0 heading into conference. If anyone paid attention to conference play, no one looks unbeatable.

This team will show what it’s made of in two weeks when we play the chop blocking masters from down south. That will set the tone for conference play. Call me an idiot, but I’m feeling fairly confident going into that game. We’re built for AF. Muma might set the NCAA record in tackles and Gandy will be right there with him.

I’m optimistic we’ll be headed home to Laramie in 3 weeks at 5-0 and playing a top 25 Fresno team that looked extremely beatable on Friday.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyoming’s recruiting will get better as the front range continues to grow in population. Denver metro is going to get huge. Parity is going to happen between Lower level programs and FCS schools due to transfer rules, and top schools ( ie Alabama) are going to get even better.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:43 pm Wyoming’s recruiting will get better as the front range continues to grow in population. Denver metro is going to get huge. Parity is going to happen between Lower level programs and FCS schools due to transfer rules, and top schools ( ie Alabama) are going to get even better.
And hopefully they’ll split this thing up and we get a middle division that “G5” teams actually have a stake in. IMO, all the jockeying in the Big 12, AAC, and MW is pointless. The big boys have their party set with the addition of Oklahoma and Texas. No one else is getting in the big bucks crowd. Organize in regional divisions like the FCS and move on. ESPN f-word college football up, and it will never get back to what it was.