Dark cloud in this silver lining.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 pm
I am going to enjoy the fact that we didn’t melt down and are 4-0. It’s a mortal lock we have at least one melt per season and we haven’t! I just think it’s bush league to pull this at this time on our 4-0 boys after they have shown so much heart and pride. Might as well throw our support behind our UNDEFEATED team rather than call us small time.
It's not mutually exclusive to enjoy an undefeated season and make the comments that I made to open this can of worms at the same time. There is a difference in the way we got to 4-0 and hypothetically doing it either against better competition or against weaker competition in a dominant fashion.

I'm glad to be 4-0 ... but I'm uncomfortably aware that in the cupcake schedule that everybody identified as weak going in to the season, three of the four wins required a late score just to get the victory. It's not pulling a "bush league" stunt, as you put it, to notice this. Do you really believe that I don't support the pokes? I swear that this specific topic is radioactive to a third of this board...if you honestly broach topics around systemic shortcomings in the program, you get shouted down as being "bush league" and "moronic".

I love the pokes and I love college football in general, and I've been a fan of both for long enough to notice a few things that perhaps you don't want to talk about, but I am pretty sure they are relevant to cowboy athletics.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

TrackPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 pm 307bball sounds like he lost $110,000 tonight:
https://sports.yahoo.com/bettor-loses-1 ... 17682.html
That is a crazy story, I wish I had that kind of $$ to plunk it down on a college fb game. I think I would be a terrible gambler even if I had the cash though. :lol: :lol:
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

TrackPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:05 pm 307bball sounds like he lost $110,000 tonight:
Wow! Whoever that bettor is knows nothing about Craig Bohl. Bohl has always consistently been the type of coach to play close games, to run the ball to try and control time of possession and eat clock and to call off the dogs when the game is basically decided.

I had strongly considered putting money on UCONN to cover what I thought was an insane line for a road Wyoming team but decided against it because it doesn’t feel right to bet against the Pokes.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:24 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:51 pm
I am going to enjoy the fact that we didn’t melt down and are 4-0. It’s a mortal lock we have at least one melt per season and we haven’t! I just think it’s bush league to pull this at this time on our 4-0 boys after they have shown so much heart and pride. Might as well throw our support behind our UNDEFEATED team rather than call us small time.
It's not mutually exclusive to enjoy an undefeated season and make the comments that I made to open this can of worms at the same time. There is a difference in the way we got to 4-0 and hypothetically doing it either against better competition or against weaker competition in a dominant fashion.

I'm glad to be 4-0 ... but I'm uncomfortably aware that in the cupcake schedule that everybody identified as weak going in to the season, three of the four wins required a late score just to get the victory. It's not pulling a "bush league" stunt, as you put it, to notice this. Do you really believe that I don't support the pokes? I swear that this specific topic is radioactive to a third of this board...if you honestly broach topics around systemic shortcomings in the program, you get shouted down as being "bush league" and "moronic".

I love the pokes and I love college football in general, and I've been a fan of both for long enough to notice a few things that perhaps you don't want to talk about, but I am pretty sure they are relevant to cowboy athletics.
I don't think it's unfair at all. I too have concerns especially with Chambers. Will he ever find consistency? He makes some nice throws but also some errant throws. Inconsistent dual threat QBs is not a new story. The passing game is improving but is leaving A LOT of plays out there.

On D, we either need more consistent and faster pass rush or the corners are going to need to get their heads around. Fresno will be a long day if these areas don't come together by then.

I agree that the schedule was weak and understand where you're coming from. I think this team is still coming together and really reminds me of teams that are almost totally different by the end of the season. I also watched an early UCONN game and this one. They were much more disciplined, played more inspired, and better coaches than earlier in the season. Their coach they started the season with knew he didn't have it put together and retired. He knew it was best for the team and his highly experienced staff would do better. He's right. Traveling from to the East Coast is one of the hardest trips in football even in the pros. I guess there are always concerns but this win isn't bad at all. I made a bunch on this game (I needed it, already lost most of my gambling budget lol).

The thing I'm most optimistic about is the POKES are finding different ways to win despite challenges and are doing it at home and on the road. That's a good sign.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Is Minnesota small time for losing to bowling green? What about auburn needing bribed refs to beat Georgia southern?
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

What a stupid bet. 31 points is a huge number, regardless of past outcomes. I guess us Wyoming fans are probably jaded, but this is astonishingly stupid.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

307bball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:50 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:08 pm 4-0

One can choose to be miserable or one can choose to support this team that finds ways to win.
Don't get me wrong...I'm weirdly not miserable about it....not really happy about it though. I think I'm getting a decent feel for who this program is in the modern college football landscape. I still support them but I'm through deluding myself thinking that the late '80s and early '90s results are just around the corner. Should be a nice season this year since we have such a cupcake schedule, but we aren't contending for the MWC title.
Yesterday Fresno had to comeback to beat UNLV who hasn't won a game since 2019, and with Arroyo coaching them, may not win a game this year, just like last year. Ranked teams lost to unranked teams yesterday. While Wyo will not be challenging for New Year's bowl games, they are taking care of business. Until they falter, let's enjoy the success. It looks like the Air Force game will better show us where the team lies in the MWC landscape.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

“ And don’t give me that Paul Roach crap...the landscape of college football has changed and Wyoming has not. We are in the group of college football programs that don’t matter and we have been there for a long time”

And we, the diehards and lowly Wyoming faithful that love the Pokes don’t give a crap what you think or say. We are relevant because we play on a sunny day in War Memorial against not so spectacular teams on equal terms. We don’t celebrate with upscale celebrities in posh suites on o’derves and champagne. We travel to small venues and large repping the brand. Your analytics are welcome, but frankly I don’t give a damn to read your tepid “piddling program” comments.

Don’t believe me ask the likes of folks like Aaron Kyle, Jay Novacek, Conrad Dobler Derrick Martin, Tony Mcgee. More recently; Mike Purcell, Tashaun Gipson, jr, Chase Roullier, Logan Wilson, Brian Hill, Jacob Hollister , and need I say one of the highest paid players in the NFL - Josh Allen. See if They think if the Cowboys from the University of Wyoming matter? You may be surprised in their answer.

Go to a board that loves your smear job like in Provo.

4-0, 307 bball. We’re just good enough for that… Go Pokes!
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

johnywyo wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:49 pm And we, the diehards and lowly Wyoming faithful that love the Pokes don’t give a crap what you think or say. We are relevant because we play on a sunny day in War Memorial against not so spectacular teams on equal terms. We don’t celebrate with upscale celebrities in posh suites on o’derves and champagne. We travel to small venues and large repping the brand. Your analytics are welcome, but frankly I don’t give a damn to read your tepid “piddling program” comments.

Don’t believe me ask the likes of folks like Aaron Kyle, Jay Novacek, Conrad Dobler Derrick Martin, Tony Mcgee. More recently; Mike Purcell, Tashaun Gipson, jr, Chase Roullier, Logan Wilson, Brian Hill, Jacob Hollister , and need I say one of the highest paid players in the NFL - Josh Allen. See if They think if the Cowboys from the University of Wyoming matter? You may be surprised in their answer.

Go to a board that loves your smear job like in Provo.

4-0, 307 bball. We’re just good enough for that… Go Pokes!
You hit it in the head Johnwyo...watching a game on a sunny fall day at the War is exactly the relavance of Wyoming football. That is the realization I've come to. I'm not sure how upscale celebrities and champagne fit into this since that has never been the point of Wyoming Fandom. I think celebrating the personalities that have matriculated through the program is the best way to celebrate and feel good about the current program. I'm old enough to remember celebrating that as well as also being a team that would stomp cupcakes and hang with powerhouses.

Anyways...I hate feeling bad about my pokes especially when they are undefeated...and yet that is where I have found myself. Maybe this board is some version of sports therapy for myself lol.

I have tons of fond memories of supporting the pokes and somehow they have gotten linked to being on a competitive level with teams like Boise St, San Diego State, and (gag) BYU. Those are programs that are not competing for National titles but they are relevant teams that every year are playing in marquis games against high level completion and acquitting themselves well. It's not like we can't beat that level of team...its that it happens so rarely....Since 1997 Wyoming is 11-37 against those three teams specifically...and (I think) 6 or 7 of those wins were against a SDSU program while they were not considered any good.

So...I do want to get back to enjoying individual excellence. As you pointed out, there is an enjoyment to watching the pokes at the War on a sunny day and watching guys like Josh Allen and Logan Wilson tear it up....that enjoyment is separate from enjoying a top flight competitive program and I don't want to tarnish that.
Last edited by 307bball on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:54 am Is Minnesota small time for losing to bowling green? What about auburn needing bribed refs to beat Georgia southern?
I'm trying to avoid sample size bias here...I'm sure Minnesota and auburn fans are unhappy with both of the games you mentioned. I don't think either of those programs are at their historical peaks but they definitely matter. This is not about stubbing your toe against inferior competition, that happens to good programs all the time.

I think defining this better is in order...In general teams that "matter" fit into one of two categories:
  • Play in the P5 (exceptions can be made for the Vanderbilts of the world) This is because they enjoy built in $$ and exposure advantages such that any particular P5 program will have quite a bit of raw talent in comparison to non P5 schools.
  • This would be your G5 programs with legit P5 aspirations...A few years ago this group had a lot of members but the Utah's and TCU's of the world have been absorbed into the P5. I would obviously put Boise St and San Diego State at in...along with (gag) BYU.
As I think about this ... I realize that what I'm mostly perceiving is the rich getting richer and we are on the wrong side of that. Wyoming has historically outperformed it's "market" size, so to speak, but that doesn't seem to be happening anymore.