Bohl Must go…. I was the first to say Edwards

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

Despite what was obviously a sh#t game against a good AF team, the idea that Bohl should go is absolutely silly. What is it you want? Another young hotshot who comes running in with high expectations, has a good season or two, and then runs off to a bigger, more prestigious job? Rinse and repeat? At least Bohl has brought a huge amount of respect and stability to a small school in a small state with limited (population, exposure, media, you-name-it) options. This ain't Ohio State. Bohl seems to have made it evident that he's at UW for the long run. Almost any other decent coach would only use UW as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I'd say get him more $$ to be able to keep his (good) assistant coaches from being poached away. All that said, it is pretty damn obvious this is not a 12-0 kind of team. The talent just isn't there. 9-3 if we get really lucky - more like 8-4 or even 7-5. At least those would be winning records. Consistent winning records have been shown by this coach (except for the first couple of seasons). Not boom and bust (I think all of Wyoming understands that concept).
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Those who stay will be champions.

The Calvary is coming.

Deepest team ever.

f-word yawn.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

The price of poker just went up! Those who stay will be mediocre!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

wwplayer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:47 pm Despite what was obviously a sh#t game against a good AF team, the idea that Bohl should go is absolutely silly. What is it you want? Another young hotshot who comes running in with high expectations, has a good season or two, and then runs off to a bigger, more prestigious job? Rinse and repeat? At least Bohl has brought a huge amount of respect and stability to a small school in a small state with limited (population, exposure, media, you-name-it) options. This ain't Ohio State. Bohl seems to have made it evident that he's at UW for the long run. Almost any other decent coach would only use UW as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. I'd say get him more $$ to be able to keep his (good) assistant coaches from being poached away. All that said, it is pretty damn obvious this is not a 12-0 kind of team. The talent just isn't there. 9-3 if we get really lucky - more like 8-4 or even 7-5. At least those would be winning records. Consistent winning records have been shown by this coach (except for the first couple of seasons). Not boom and bust (I think all of Wyoming understands that concept).
He’s at Wyoming for the long haul because it’s a pretty good paying gig without a lot of accountability for performance.

No coach in Wyoming history has been afforded as many resources and as much support as Craig Bohl. Do you think we’re getting results in line with how much has been afforded the football program?

For all the off-season talk about “best team ever, deepest team ever” it is October 10th, the first week of conference play, and we’ve basically been eliminated from conference title contention, unless you think the same team we’ve seen for 5 games is going to somehow go 7-0 or 6-1 down the stretch. Sure we will probably get to 7-5 and play in some poop bowl because we played a cupcake OOC schedule. I guess you’re happy with it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 596 times
Been liked: 238 times

HR_Poke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:13 am
bladerunnr wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:53 am
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm Chambers should be benched. He's not a D1 QB.
I'm not sure I agree with this but the guy behind him is about 2 steps down. We simply do not get good qbs to come here. Other than Josh and Brett Smith, we've had a whole lot of mediocre qbs in the last 20 years. Some were'nt even mediocre.

We managed 14 points against a defense that gave up 48 to Utah State on their home field. We couldn't even get into the red zone the entire second half. I'm frustrated too. But we have what we have. Putting a TVW clone on the field isn't going to make things any better.
Both Williams and the transfer from Utah outplayed chambers in springball. Chambers hit 30% of his passes thst day too. Williams had issues but his completion percentage was in the mid 50% and he didn't constantly underthrow. If chambers isn't a running threat anymore than any QB on the roster that isn't named beerup is a vast improvement.
Agree. I’d like to get Williams a game. See what he can do when healthy. That Utah kid looked damn good too. Give him a series
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Lubick CSU
Long UNM
Bohl WYO

Careful the path you choose. Changes at QB or scheme for the QB seem a little safer. It's getting there. The best 21 POKES are yet to come.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I'm thinking 6-6 or 7-5 right now will be a good season. But then again maybe Bohl will quit playing Vigen ball.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm Lubick CSU
Long UNM
Bohl WYO

Careful the path you choose. Changes at QB or scheme for the QB seem a little safer. It's getting there. The best 21 POKES are yet to come.
Sonny Lubick is a 6x conference champion and had 3 teams finished ranked in the T25. Bohl couldn’t hold his jockstrap. Comparing him to Bohl is laughable at best. I guess Rocky Long at UNM is a more apt comparison, who had a record of 65-69 there. But what exactly is the fear? “Let’s settle for winning 45% of our MW games because with a different coach we might only win 30% of our MW games?” Maybe a new coach would win 70% of their MW games.

I would also venture to guess that during Rockys time at UNM he wasn’t compensated near the top of the league while also being provided every possible resource and every bit of support he could hope for like Bohl, so I don’t think that’s really a good comparison either.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I picked 7 wins pre season. Looking at our schedule going forward now, I think I'm probably right on the money.

I see us beating Hawaii, SJSU, and NM and losing the rest from here on out. If we show up to play (coaches included), we may beat CSU in a close one.

Boise, Fresno, and Utah State, forget about it.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:14 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:50 pm Lubick CSU
Long UNM
Bohl WYO

Sonny Lubick is a 6x conference champion and had 3 teams finished ranked in the T25. Bohl couldn’t hold his jockstrap. Comparing him to Bohl is laughable at best. I guess Rocky Long at UNM is a more apt comparison, who had a record of 65-69 there. But what exactly is the fear? “Let’s settle for winning 45% of our MW games because with a different coach we might only win 30% of our MW games?” Maybe a new coach would win 70% of their MW games.

I would also venture to guess that during Rockys time at UNM he wasn’t compensated near the top of the league while also being provided every possible resource and every bit of support he could hope for like Bohl, so I don’t think that’s really a good comparison either.
It wasn't really a comparison of the coaches during their time at their university but more the path of the university after they left. UNM is our most likely future without Bohl.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:42 pm
HR_Poke wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:24 pm Chambers should be benched. He's not a D1 QB.
I'm not sure I agree with this but the guy behind him is about 2 steps down. We simply do not get good qbs to come here. Other than Josh and Brett Smith, we've had a whole lot of mediocre qbs in the last 20 years. Some were'nt even mediocre.

We managed 14 points against a defense that gave up 48 to Utah State on their home field. We couldn't even get into the red zone the entire second half. I'm frustrated too. But we have what we have. Putting a TVW clone on the field isn't going to make things any better.
Both Williams and the transfer from Utah outplayed chambers in springball. Chambers hit 30% of his passes thst day too. Williams had issues but his completion percentage was in the mid 50% and he didn't constantly underthrow. If chambers isn't a running threat anymore than any QB on the roster that isn't named beerup is a vast improvement.
Agree. I’d like to get Williams a game. See what he can do when healthy. That Utah kid looked damn good too. Give him a series
Why do people keep mentioning the Utah kid?? Bohl hasn’t uttered his name a single time. He has talked about Hank Gibbs doing some good things.
W-Y, Until I Die!
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

laxwyo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:03 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:42 pm

Why do people keep mentioning the Utah kid?? Bohl hasn’t uttered his name a single time. He has talked about Hank Gibbs doing some good things.
Jayden Clemmons. He had the best touch of all the qbs at the spring game. He should be eligible with his covid transfer, not sure why bohl doesn't mention him.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:40 pm
No coach in Wyoming history has been afforded as many resources and as much support as Craig Bohl. Do you think we’re getting results in line with how much has been afforded the football program?
What the heck difference does it make? At the end of the day it costs a certain amount have a college football program. The fact that this program costs more than past programs is irrelevant and mostly due to the fact there is more money in college football now than in the past.

Either win or lose... That's it.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:46 pm
What the heck difference does it make? At the end of the day it costs a certain amount have a college football program. The fact that this program costs more than past programs is irrelevant and mostly due to the fact there is more money in college football now than in the past.

At no point in our football history until the last 4 years have we paid our coach and his staff in the top 3 in the league. At no point in our history until now could we make a legit case for top of the line facilities. Our attendance is as high as it has ever been. We have invested in football much more than our peers yet our results are not there.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Maybe we should hire Urban Meyer. He's looking to be available soon. LOL

I kid, I kid. Besides we don't have strip clubs in Laramie for him to go to anyway.

BTW, that gal that rubbed her ass on his crotch looked a lot like his wife, only a bit younger!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 141 times

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:13 pm

At no point in our football history until the last 4 years have we paid our coach and his staff in the top 3 in the league. At no point in our history until now could we make a legit case for top of the line facilities. Our attendance is as high as it has ever been. We have invested in football much more than our peers yet our results are not there.
Aside from head coaching salary, I’d argue the teams that are consistently better, spend more on football. AF essentially has an unlimited budget for recruiting etc. Boise invests tons of money into football. I’m sure the SDSU budget is more than ours. Money invested in football is more than coach salary.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:22 pm
calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:13 pm

Aside from head coaching salary, I’d argue the teams that are consistently better, spend more on football. AF essentially has an unlimited budget for recruiting etc. Boise invests tons of money into football. I’m sure the SDSU budget is more than ours. Money invested in football is more than coach salary.
It's a bit of a chicken and egg issue... For most high spending programs.... The revenue is also high
307bball
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:13 pm At no point in our football history until the last 4 years have we paid our coach and his staff in the top 3 in the league. At no point in our history until now could we make a legit case for top of the line facilities. Our attendance is as high as it has ever been. We have invested in football much more than our peers yet our results are not there.
So what.. That just proves my point... What gets spent is utterly irrelevant. Wyoming had obviously had success in the past (distant past at this point) while spending comparatively less than our peers. You have pointed that out beautifully. Why not just pay as little as you can get away with in coaches compensation and facilities upgrades?

If a Wyoming coach wins... He stays. If he loses, he gets the boot and whatever he was being paid isn't part of the conversation.

It costs what it costs to play big boy college football.... Would you feel any better about the results of we were in the bottom 3 in the league in program investment?
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Man, I remember when I had the audacity to question the state spending money on the HAPC when they were cut cut cut elsewhere. This board was utterly convinced we'd be winning conference championships in no time with that thing built.

That's aged well.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
307bball
WyoNation Addict

bullbugle307 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:19 pm Man, I remember when I had the audacity to question the state spending money on the HAPC when they were cut cut cut elsewhere. This board was utterly convinced we'd be winning conference championships in no time with that thing built.

That's aged well.
Yeah... The whole idea that the only reason there had not been success in Laramie was due to not spending enough should have never been swallowed.

I think your investment in football can be low enough that it does limit you but the flip side of that is not true.... Investing more will not solve other challenges, it only gets you a seat at the table.

**I still welcome a high level of investment in Wyo athletics...I just don't think that is the "only" thing that is necessary to be a high level program.