OT: any real youth football coaches on here?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Offense play discussion for youth football. Seriously... I'm helping out with a team.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

I’ve coached youth flag in the past. Very different offense for tackle. But the successful kids tackle teams I’ve seen usually have a few dive running plays, a few sweeps, a few QB keeps and about 2 passing plays (crosses over the middle are successful because youth defenders struggle with it). The trick is keeping it simple. My 2 cents.

I’m sure someone on here has more experience than me and better insight.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I have only coached flag for one year. So I’m an expert. Agree about keeping it simple. A little confusion in the backfield is good. I would think a spread or pro style would be hard for young kids. Veer offense is what we ran in HS. I liked it a lot. Motion guy on every play and one of four guys can run the ball (or pass too) so it keeps the defense on its heels
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

These kids 9-11 tackle. It is almost like not even having a line, lol. Running in the middle was impossible and passing had to be out in about 2 seconds. Everyone ran sweeps and tried to defend sweeps. Middle was wide open, but I don't think the line will ever be able to open holes. We need a creative way to get the ball moving in the middle and not sure if i'm brave enough to try to get these kids to try a screen, haha.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 am These kids 9-11 tackle. It is almost like not even having a line, lol. Running in the middle was impossible and passing had to be out in about 2 seconds. Everyone ran sweeps and tried to defend sweeps. Middle was wide open, but I don't think the line will ever be able to open holes. We need a creative way to get the ball moving in the middle and not sure if i'm brave enough to try to get these kids to try a screen, haha.
I think you might be asking for trouble trying screens as you indicate. I’ve seen this result in backwards passes/fumbles.

Because the line isn’t blocking (as is the case in all youth football), you might try direct snaps to the fullback/running back to divert the attention of the defense and open things up. But you will need a good center for this.

Also - thanks for volunteering! Because of my job, I had to get out of coaching but used to coach multiple sports and loved it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:56 am These kids 9-11 tackle. It is almost like not even having a line, lol. Running in the middle was impossible and passing had to be out in about 2 seconds. Everyone ran sweeps and tried to defend sweeps. Middle was wide open, but I don't think the line will ever be able to open holes. We need a creative way to get the ball moving in the middle and not sure if i'm brave enough to try to get these kids to try a screen, haha.
The veer, wishbone, straight T or other "option" offenses is what I would do. Can be really simple and you can get the ball going outside with sweeps, tosses and options and can work the inside between the tackles really well with dives, counters and traps.

Teach them like 6 plays. Do them well and you'll dominate!!
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Should Wyoming run an option offense?

Here's an interesting read. It's old, but I think still applies.
https://www.onefootdown.com/2012/8/28/3 ... teams-gone
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:31 am Should Wyoming run an option offense?

Here's an interesting read. It's old, but I think still applies.
https://www.onefootdown.com/2012/8/28/3 ... teams-gone
If Chambers is our QB going forward, then yes I think we should. Dude was built to run the option.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it. It's been fun. We shore up the sweep defense and get a few more successful plays going, we'll be in good shape.