QB Competition - New Mexico

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Bohl in his weekly media presser today announces that Chambers and Williams will be competing this week to start the New Mexico game. Bohl stated that a starter will be named at kickoff and that no other QBs on Wyoming’s roster are being considered.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LOL - that is interesting. MF'er was heard (allegedly) saying the same / similar thing last week after the AFA debacle, and he didn't do poop.

Are we hearing coach speak?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:55 am LOL - that is interesting. MF'er was heard (allegedly) saying the same / similar thing last week after the AFA debacle, and he didn't do Sh#t.

I watched last week’s presser and he said nothing about a QB competition then. Considering he said this to the media, it seems pretty clear that there is some sort of ‘QB competition.’

Personally, I would be shocked if Levi Williams doesn’t start the NM game. Much easier for the coach to justify a decision to go back to chambers if Levi struggles.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:55 am LOL - that is interesting. MF'er was heard (allegedly) saying the same / similar thing last week after the AFA debacle, and he didn't do Sh#t.

I watched last week’s presser and he said nothing about a QB competition then. Considering he said this to the media, it seems pretty clear that there is some sort of ‘QB competition.’

Personally, I would be shocked if Levi Williams doesn’t start the NM game. Much easier for the coach to justify a decision to go back to chambers if Levi struggles.
Nothing was said in last weeks presser, it was said / stated (allegedly) within the confines of the program.

Nothing would surprise me at this point though, with Bohl and his decision on who to play. UW sure seems to have a lot of talent on the sidelines as well - which is typical Bohl (like how f-word stubborn he was with Brian Hill not playing until after mid-season his first year). Not sure why positions are not being challenged - especially the O line.
Dear Karma,

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times

Oredigger must be right about Bohl hedging his bet in case he needs to put Chambers back in. Very concerning because that means he isn't sold on Williams. I'm really surprised Bohl is in this situation after all the offseason hubbub about fixing the offense. They should have known Chambers' and Williams' limitations; I don't understand how the offense can be this abysmal once again.

I fear we don't have a QB on the roster which doesn't bode well for this season or beyond.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:38 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:31 pm

Nothing was said in last weeks presser, it was said / stated (allegedly) within the confines of the program.

Nothing would surprise me at this point though, with Bohl and his decision on who to play. UW sure seems to have a lot of talent on the sidelines as well - which is typical Bohl (like how f##k[#] stubborn he was with Brian Hill not playing until after mid-season his first year). Not sure why positions are not being challenged - especially the O line.
Someone's dad donates a lot. Just kidding. But the whole O-line has been disappointing in run blocking and pass protection.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:47 pm Oredigger must be right about Bohl hedging his bet in case he needs to put Chambers back in. Very concerning because that means he isn't sold on Williams. I'm really surprised Bohl is in this situation after all the offseason hubbub about fixing the offense. They should have known Chambers' and Williams' limitations; I don't understand how the offense can be this abysmal once again.

I fear we don't have a QB on the roster which doesn't bode well for this season or beyond.
Williams has issues with making bad decisions and overthinking. That lame duck pass he threw to Eberhardt is a prime example. Too worried about it getting over the lineman that he pushed it vs throwing. He could be good if they could get him to quit overthinking and go through his check downs.

Chambers stares down his receivers too. I said this after the NIU game that as soon as we run into a defense who's secondary has a pulse he was going to turn the ball over a lot. You can see it with that seam route they run with the RB coming out of the backfield as a receiver. He just locks in on Valleday and no one else.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The reality is they keep recruiting Josh Allen sized QB's with similar arm strength, hoping to find that diamond in the rough, but the problem is they have no other intangibles. Williams is very much comparable to Vander Wal.
I'm good for 3!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Typical coach speak from Bohl. He shows no sense of urgency. It has been like this for the last 3 years. This isn't just a QB thing, its a whole offensive mindset.
I don't care what type of offense we have, but just be creative and open to adjusting.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

But but but, identity damnit! We gotta line up and punch em in the mouth. Otherwise it's not worth winning.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:21 pm ...hoping to find that diamond in the rough....
Which is good. But only if you have a good diamond polisher on the staff. The Pokes don't.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think it was Oklahoma that benched their starter after they had one bad half and the next guy was better and I believed he continues to start to this day. It’s ok to try.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:47 pm Oredigger must be right about Bohl hedging his bet in case he needs to put Chambers back in. Very concerning because that means he isn't sold on Williams. I'm really surprised Bohl is in this situation after all the offseason hubbub about fixing the offense. They should have known Chambers' and Williams' limitations; I don't understand how the offense can be this abysmal once again.

Of course he isn't sold on Williams. If he had any faith in Levi he would have been put into the game at halftime. We had a chance to win that game with a A+ defensive performance and a C+ offensive performance. The fact that it took as long as it did to get Williams in the game (and the results once he did get into the game) tells you all you need to know.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

Is the walk-on, 5th string QB that beat us last year still on New Mexico's roster this year?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

cowpoke pride wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 am Is the walk-on, 5th string QB that beat us last year still on New Mexico's roster this year?
Damn that was embarrassing. We made him look like Peyton Manning. I hope he is, and I hope he starts - so we can have revenge and flatten his ass.

I think the open "competition" between Williams and Chambers is a smoke show.

NM sucks so bad, it will be hard to evaluate our performance. I think I could suit up as QB and we would win.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

We should see Williams, but I bet Chambers will start. It's the Bohl thing to do
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:41 am
cowpoke pride wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:45 am Is the walk-on, 5th string QB that beat us last year still on New Mexico's roster this year?
Damn that was embarrassing. We made him look like Peyton Manning. I hope he is, and I hope he starts - so we can have revenge and flatten his A$$.

NM sucks so bad, it will be hard to evaluate our performance. I think I could suit up as QB and we would win.
Serious question....what is the thought process when this is a one score game in the fourth because this could definitely be.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

307bball wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:27 am
Damn that was embarrassing. We made him look like Peyton Manning. I hope he is, and I hope he starts - so we can have revenge and flatten his A$$.

Serious question....what is the thought process when this is a one score game in the fourth because this could definitely be.
I expect this game to be very close. I'm shocked we are 20-point favorites since we haven't scored a single point in six quarters.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

My thought process? Forget another season of UW football. Stick a fork in us, we will be luck to get to 7 wins. :thumbdown:
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:17 pm

My thought process? Forget another season of UW football. Stick a fork in us, we will be luck to get to 7 wins. :thumbdown:
Yeah...that is kind of where I was at after the UCONN game....I had to ask myself "what kind of team struggles mightily with UCONN, Montana, and SIU?"....I guess now we know. :(