Wyoming acquires from the portal...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 pm Nice. a lightly recruited juco backup. Just what the doctor ordered. Maybe we really are going to run the wishbone this year
He has completed the most collegiate passes out of any QB on Wyoming’s roster.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:28 pm Nice. a lightly recruited juco backup. Just what the doctor ordered. Maybe we really are going to run the wishbone this year
I don't care what offense is used as long as it puts W's on our schedule. What I wouldn't give to have a season like Army just did.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Interesting note about Svoboda - he had an offer out of high school to play for the Washburn Ichabods. What is an Ichabod you ask? It’s the mascot for one of the school’s early founders Ichabod Washburn.

I’m warming up to this signing.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Tyson Bagent should be on Wyoming’s radar. 6’3, 230 lbs so fits the Bohl physical profile. Dude lit up Division 2 winning the ‘Harlon Hill’ trophy (D2 equivalent to heisman). Threw for 12000+ yards in 3 seasons at Shepherd and has 2 years of eligibility.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I was really hoping we'd land a good or decent fbs guy. I personally think the whole identifying a diamond in the rough at qb and developing him to nfl first rounder is hugely overblown with Bohl. Quite frankly, I think Josh was dumb luck and even Josh didn't really take off until he had nfl coaching. In fact, my biggest worry with Bohl is the ability to identify, sign, and develop qbs.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 pm Nice break down. My only gripe is we did throw Neyor the ball. A lot.
I am generally a Bohl fan and apologist, but I agree with this.

Did anyone ever notice that Williams tended to target Neyor and the wideouts but didn't target TEs much while Chambers made Welch seem like the #1 option in the passing game and went to the backs more than the WRs?
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:45 pm
TrackPoke wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:37 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:58 am Any word on Connor Bazelak? I only watched him a few times, and he was pretty decent in those games. I don't think the bigger programs will be beating down his door--maybe?
Conner critique:
Dhttps://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rockmnation.co ... or-bazelak
One thing we know is that we can't fix QBs. We need something pretty close ready to play.
This, more than anything about our program, concerns me. It should also be a significant metric used to evaluate the new OC we got last year.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I don't think Coach Bohl is the one that would be doing most of the coaching of QBs, WRs, & etc.- that would be done by the OC & position coaches. Bohl evaluates the talent and character of those he recruits with the help of his coordinators. It is Bohl's responsibility to make sure his coordinators are top notch and relating well with the players. Josh Allen was pretty wild when he first got to Wyoming, but you could see the underlying talent and he matured into a first round draft pick under Bohl's watch.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes add Air Force freshman QB TJ Urban to play safety at Wyoming. He has 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Sounds like a couple of defensive signings to follow.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm Josh Allen was pretty wild when he first got to Wyoming, but you could see the underlying talent and he matured into a first round draft pick under Bohl's watch.
At this point I'd say it's more Josh Allen overcame and persevered Bohl and WYO to become a first round selection. He then did what was nescessary to learn to throw and become nfl QB. He literally is almost the only qb to ever acquire accuracy to this extent. He acquired because he finally received quality coaching.

Biggest complaint with Bohl era is the complete inability to make QBs better. A testament to this is that no QBs want to come here.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 am
WYCowboy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:07 pm Josh Allen was pretty wild when he first got to Wyoming, but you could see the underlying talent and he matured into a first round draft pick under Bohl's watch.
At this point I'd say it's more Josh Allen overcame and persevered Bohl and WYO to become a first round selection. He then did what was nescessary to learn to throw and become nfl QB. He literally is almost the only qb to ever acquire accuracy to this extent. He acquired because he finally received quality coaching.

Biggest complaint with Bohl era is the complete inability to make QBs better. A testament to this is that no QBs want to come here.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but ask Josh Allen and I'll bet he would disagree with you.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

WYCowboy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:22 pmEverybody is entitled to their own opinion, but ask Josh Allen and I'll bet he would disagree with you.
He doesn't want to disparage former coaches and teammates, as he's way too classy to do that.

Bills' coaching staff would agree with previous poster's statement, however. Brandon Beane (their GM) even said "his talent was so raw that we hoped other teams would stay away."

And from Jordan Palmer: "On tape, Allen rarely threw with his feet in the same position, which led to a disconnect between his body’s upper and lower halves. At Wyoming, he tended to bounce on his toes, with his feet too close together, making it hard to stride consistently."
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:42 pm
WYCowboy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:22 pmEverybody is entitled to their own opinion, but ask Josh Allen and I'll bet he would disagree with you.
He doesn't want to disparage former coaches and teammates, as he's way too classy to do that.

Bills' coaching staff would agree with previous poster's statement, however. Brandon Beane (their GM) even said "his talent was so raw that we hoped other teams would stay away."

And from Jordan Palmer: "On tape, Allen rarely threw with his feet in the same position, which led to a disconnect between his body’s upper and lower halves. At Wyoming, he tended to bounce on his toes, with his feet too close together, making it hard to stride consistently."
While I agree that QB's have not "progressed" at Wyoming...Your evidence of nfl scouting reports do not prove that ... literally every QB coming out of college will have derogatory scouting reports. Wyoming QB's don't get better in college because thy don't get better in college....it's self evident. I'm not so sure that is the biggest sin though. Who are the QB whisperer programs? Who takes unwanted talent and makes them into NFL players....particularly at the QB position?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

307bball wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pm

While I agree that QB's have not "progressed" at Wyoming...Your evidence of nfl scouting reports do not prove that ... literally every QB coming out of college will have derogatory scouting reports. Wyoming QB's don't get better in college because thy don't get better in college....it's self evident. I'm not so sure that is the biggest sin though. Who are the QB whisperer programs? Who takes unwanted talent and makes them into NFL players....particularly at the QB position?
Every QB we’ve had under Bohl has been a project. QBs are rarely nfl ready coming out of college even under the best programs, so this idea that Josh persevered despite bohl and co is poop. We’ve been trying to polish turds and josh happened to shine a little.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming signs CB Jakorey Hawkins from Ole Miss!

Coldon to Oklahoma.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Hawkins was originally a 3* recruit from the State of Alabama. He started at Ole Miss for 6 games in 2020.

Welcome to Laramie!

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-m ... er-report/
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:30 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pm

Every QB we’ve had under Bohl has been a project. QBs are rarely nfl ready coming out of college even under the best programs, so this idea that Josh persevered despite bohl and co is [#]sh#t. We’ve been trying to polish turds and josh happened to shine a little.
yep....and unless you are one of the legit big dog programs, you will always have projects under center. This narrative that we don't "develop" quarterbacks is true but lazy...again what is your comparison? Do most other programs dramatically increase QB ability during college? Huge jumps on college productivity are almost always accompanied by system changes. Why do you think Mike Leach asks the QB's he recruits "do you want to lead the nation in passing?" It's not because he and his staff have cracked the code of qb development...they just run a system that piles up passing yards. We run a system that does not. The most polished and amazingly accurate qb would struggle under our system and it has nothing do with "development". We spend tons of practice time on a complicated and difficult to master blocking/rushing scheme so our passing game is rudimentary at best. when you have a guy like Allen or Neyor, it can look ok, but passing is not what bohl is interested in perfecting.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

There's a reason we have 50% passed against terrible defenses. There's also a reason Josh has had unprecedented advancement. There's also a reason the offense is typically sub 100.

Facts are facts. Kudos that they recognized raw talent but it's poop to say they developed that talent. Every single nfl evaluation was a knock on WYO and the staff. They are right.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:56 pm There's a reason we have 50% passed against terrible defenses. There's also a reason Josh has had unprecedented advancement. There's also a reason the offense is typically sub 100.

Facts are facts. Kudos that they recognized raw talent but it's [#]sh#t to say they developed that talent. Every single nfl evaluation was a knock on WYO and the staff. They are right.
Did I miss somebody saying that Wyoming is above average at maximizing talent? Who are you addressing?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

In todays transfer climate, it might be even more important to run a simpler passing game, one in which you can plug and play qbs (like the lame spread) . The threat of transfer will make it even more difficult to develop a qb over a few years.
W-Y, Until I Die!