Do you think that

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

some of the players that entered the portal will end up staying? They don't have to leave. That being said, do you think any will want to stay after checking out the portal and do you think Bohl would even let them play? From the way Bohl reacted to the opt outs, I say there's no way Bohl would let them back. I'd disagree with him too. Even after someone tried out the waters in the portal, I'd let guys back. Then again, that could send the wrong message that you can try the portal and it doesn't work out, you can always come back. Perhaps he has to be stubborn and let people know that once you enter the portal, you're gone. What do you think?
W-Y, Until I Die!
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I’d go with once you have demonstrated disloyalty you’re history. What complicates this though is the rule that says teams can’t contact players until they have entered the portal. I’m sure it happens anyway but I sure wouldn’t advertise on my LinkedIn profile that I was looking. I’d wait to post that I had a new position. And these players could be taking a big risk entering the portal blindly. So I am thinking the only way this works is if everyone cheats.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

I think Bohl will say you’re gone.

I think it’s the wrong approach. College students make poor choices all of the time. As a coach, I think you have to understand, take the high road and stick by the players because that shows the team you care about the individual and will be better for the program in the long run. Losing Kaligis is a tough loss in this regard because he really relates well to the players.

But I also think Wyoming needs to consider its roster limits and the players in the portal right now before just letting players back. The goal should always be to improve the team. Sometimes decisions do have consequences. This year (and because of the extra year) - there will be a lot more FBS talent in the portal than available spots on FBS rosters. Given that, I’d like to see Wyoming be selective and sign a few portal transfers to improve the roster rather than just take back all of the portal entrants (most of whom are graduate entrants anyways).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Bad attitudes can spread through any team-like environment. I've seen it a lot. A few get disgruntled and then try to recruit others to be disgruntled. In the right situation and with the right people, it can become catastrophic. One of the groups we work with had to terminate almost 85% of their workers to get the situation under control.

It might depend on the kid, but, I don't think the risk is worth it. Do what you can if they need a little help in their decision, but you can't risk letting negative attitudes back in even if that negative attitude is something as simple as how bad Laramie is (in their view).

Kids do make mistakes, but simply not finding another team isn't likely to give them the perspective they need. If a coach allows one kid back who spreads his negativity about the program, WYO, or whatever; you might end up losing more later.

Nip it in the bud. Give them a good handshake. Thank them for their time. Pat them on the back and wish them luck. Close the door behind them and get to work with those that are in the room. Hit the portal for some help if you need it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:39 am I think Bohl will say you’re gone.

I think it’s the wrong approach. College students make poor choices all of the time. As a coach, I think you have to understand, take the high road and stick by the players because that shows the team you care about the individual and will be better for the program in the long run. Losing Kaligis is a tough loss in this regard because he really relates well to the players.

But I also think Wyoming needs to consider its roster limits and the players in the portal right now before just letting players back. The goal should always be to improve the team. Sometimes decisions do have consequences. This year (and because of the extra year) - there will be a lot more FBS talent in the portal than available spots on FBS rosters. Given that, I’d like to see Wyoming be selective and sign a few portal transfers to improve the roster rather than just take back all of the portal entrants (most of whom are graduate entrants anyways).
College students do make poor choices. I made a bunch myself. But those decisions affected me and not my fellow students. If he lets players come back, it could really breed resentment in the locker room. The guy who didn't enter the portal who loses his position to the guy who came back might not be very happy. If disloyalty (if that's a word) is allowed to happen without consequence, then Bohl could lose the locker room really quickly. Maybe he could make an exception here or there, but I would say that letting players come back would not work.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

One aspect of the portal to consider is that if a player enters the portal and then decides they want to stay, the school/coaches can revoke their scholarship without penalty. Obviously it's up to the coach whether they would let the player back and if they get to keep their scholarship or not. But this way, there is a consequence of the portal for players.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

bladerunnr wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:15 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:39 am I think Bohl will say you’re gone.

College students do make poor choices. I made a bunch myself. But those decisions affected me and not my fellow students. If he lets players come back, it could really breed resentment in the locker room. The guy who didn't enter the portal who loses his position to the guy who came back might not be very happy. If disloyalty (if that's a word) is allowed to happen without consequence, then Bohl could lose the locker room really quickly. Maybe he could make an exception here or there, but I would say that letting players come back would not work.
Good points. Either way it’s an uncomfortable position for a coach. But it also goes both ways - if a guy that decides to withdraw from the transfer portal can help your team and was otherwise a good teammate, don’t you also owe it to the players in the locker room to improve the team?

College football probably needs some sort of independent advisory board for players so they can get honest assessments before making ill informed choices to enter the portal. They have that for the draft, why not for the portal too.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:03 am Bad attitudes can spread through any team-like environment. I've seen it a lot. A few get disgruntled and then try to recruit others to be disgruntled. In the right situation and with the right people, it can become catastrophic. One of the groups we work with had to terminate almost 85% of their workers to get the situation under control.

It might depend on the kid, but, I don't think the risk is worth it. Do what you can if they need a little help in their decision, but you can't risk letting negative attitudes back in even if that negative attitude is something as simple as how bad Laramie is (in their view).

Kids do make mistakes, but simply not finding another team isn't likely to give them the perspective they need. If a coach allows one kid back who spreads his negativity about the program, WYO, or whatever; you might end up losing more later.

Nip it in the bud. Give them a good handshake. Thank them for their time. Pat them on the back and wish them luck. Close the door behind them and get to work with those that are in the room. Hit the portal for some help if you need it.
When you stop and think about these (kids) players, they are old enough to join the military, they are old enough to vote, and when they commit a crime they are tried as an adult. In my opinion when they make a decision, they are responsible for the consequences of that decision.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

I agree that its unlikely that Bohl would let any of them come back if they wanted to. Most of them would probably hang it up or try pro if they don't get a better situation. The specific one that intrigues me is Chambers. If we don't find a Portal transfer and Chambers finds out that no one wants a QB that can't throw too well, I could see him as the guy that might be able to get back. Did he graduate too? He's somewhat serviceable if we ran the O as we have with him in the past. He'd be a pretty good backup and you know if he had to come in he could at least run a lot of read option.

I'm thinking this only as a last resort. Even if coach likes a QB on the current roster, you really do need 2 that could come in
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

"All that enter the portal are dead to me"*

"All that stay will be champions"

I see a lot of commonality in these statements

*not an actual quote...please don't sue me because we know how vindictive you can be.....
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

While I have no issues with players deciding to leave, for whatever their reason, I also feel it's probably best for the coach to not bring them back. It seems that you'd be asking for locker room drama. Especially if they start over someone that didn't enter the portal.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

While I think a coach has to do everything he can in the new portal environment (including letting a player back after declaring the portal, on a case by case basis), there is no way in hell Bohl would do that. He would have kicked off all the Covid opt-outs, if he could have. Look at how they were treated when they returned.