Spring game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Nothing spectacular today. Our quarterbacks will be in competition in competition throughout fall camp some can air it out decently some kind of just you know
I did like some of the catches the receivers made the Oline is OK they opened some good holes for some long TD runs, #7 DQ James, is gonna be the quick one and a stud. But after this game I'm no better no worse for Cowboy Football, we shall see, let the prognosticators begin
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

McNeely had a badass run last year and then it seemed like they barely gave it to him again. (I just looked and he had 17 carries and 1 TD)It’s good to see him with explosive plays. Our RBs are stacked and playmakers.

Don’t get too excited about Peasely’s long TD to Marcotte. To me it looked like it should have been picked off and it deflected into the TE’s hands. The video was on Instagram.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Didn't get to watch so all I have is 2nd hand info. I heard O was pretty much as bad as usual and passing game still a mess. Could tell if new D was pretty good or O is that bad.

I have no idea... just what I heard.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I was thinking along those same lines only opposite. When Bohl praised the O line my first thought was defensive line regression rather than O line improvement.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Just looking at the stats it looks like the same old at quarterback. But I can also tell by the lack of conversation about the spring nobody really cares. Apathy is setting in. That’s worse than anger.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

The QBs don’t appear to be impressive. When Josh Allen came in to his first spring game, he was immediately impressive. Gavin Beerup was moved to wide receiver. That was a surprise. If Peasley goes down, things could get out of hand because it doesn’t look like we have much behind him at the moment.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Peasley is the clear leader, we can tell that much. I was hoping Hank Gibbs would start to rise but he had a bad day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Clemons ends up as #2 and we run a more chambers type O if he has to take over
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Portal QB's - COME ON DOWN!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I've supported Bohl this past decade as he really did build up the program that had been pretty mediocre/bad since the 90s. I doubt anyone could seriously argue that I haven't been one of the bigger Bohl supporters on here. That said, I do believe this is the beginning of the end of the Bohl tenure and things could take a big turn for the worse. I don't believe that Bohl has the right mentality and personality to thrive in the new era of transfers and NIL. The Bear Bryants and Bobby Knights of the world won't succeed in this new college free agent environment. Players are likely to be attracted to a different type of atmosphere and have the means to freely go somewhere else.

I really really hope I am wrong but I am predicting a rough few years for Wyoming football. I hope it doesn't get Koenning bad but I could see that within the realm of possibilities. Please please let someone call me a clown for this projection in a year or two...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think the defense will be solid again, with a strong run game on offense and a putrid passing game. Same old same old. Hoping for 6 Ws
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 am I've supported Bohl this past decade as he really did build up the program that had been pretty mediocre/bad since the 90s. I doubt anyone could seriously argue that I haven't been one of the bigger Bohl supporters on here. That said, I do believe this is the beginning of the end of the Bohl tenure and things could take a big turn for the worse. I don't believe that Bohl has the right mentality and personality to thrive in the new era of transfers and NIL. The Bear Bryants and Bobby Knights of the world won't succeed in this new college free agent environment. Players are likely to be attracted to a different type of atmosphere and have the means to freely go somewhere else.

I really really hope I am wrong but I am predicting a rough few years for Wyoming football. I hope it doesn't get Koenning bad but I could see that within the realm of possibilities. Please please let someone call me a clown for this projection in a year or two...
I think the difference between Bohl and VK is experience. Bohl has the experience of psychology, player motivation, etc. you can call me wrong, but I feel his time as a coach compared to Viks is a plus. Experience in anything is. Experience is nothing more than “having done something”. The more you’ve done something the more experience.

My biggest problem is the lack of consistency- like losing to New Mexico and beating the conference champion Utah State, rather impressively. What a disappointment. This lack of consistency does surprise me at this point in Bohls tenure.
Last edited by Itsux2beaewe on Mon May 02, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:24 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 am I've supported Bohl this past decade as he really did build up the program that had been pretty mediocre/bad since the 90s. I doubt anyone could seriously argue that I haven't been one of the bigger Bohl supporters on here. That said, I do believe this is the beginning of the end of the Bohl tenure and things could take a big turn for the worse. I don't believe that Bohl has the right mentality and personality to thrive in the new era of transfers and NIL. The Bear Bryants and Bobby Knights of the world won't succeed in this new college free agent environment. Players are likely to be attracted to a different type of atmosphere and have the means to freely go somewhere else.

I think the difference between Bohl and VK is experience. Bohl has the experience of psychology, player motivation, etc. you can call me wrong, but I feel his time as a coach compared to Viks is a plus. Experience in anything is. Experience is nothing more than “having done something”. The more you’ve done something the more experience.

My biggest problem is the lack of consistency- like losing to New Mexico and beating the conference champion Utah State, rather impressively. What a disappointment. This lack of consistency does surprise me with Bohls program.
Bohl has no experience with college free agency and NIL.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:26 am

My biggest problem is the lack of consistency- like losing to New Mexico and beating the conference champion Utah State, rather impressively. What a disappointment. This lack of consistency does surprise me with Bohls program.
No more- no less than any coach. It’s new for every program. How he adapts is the question - which is my concern.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 am

No more- no less than any coach. It’s new for every program. How he adapts is the question - which is my concern.
This is why I am concerned and why I believe we are about to see an implosion of Wyoming football. Bohl's mentality and personality is the antithesis of adaptation. He has basically stated that he will continue to run the program like he has always known by developing players to fit his system. That is great and all - but it only works if you have a system of continuity and stability of personnel. This past offseason has demonstrated that continuity and personnel stability is likely to be a thing of the past for Wyoming (and the rest of college football).
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:52 pm This is why I am concerned and why I believe we are about to see an implosion of Wyoming football. Bohl's mentality and personality is the antithesis of adaptation. He has basically stated that he will continue to run the program like he has always known by developing players to fit his system. That is great and all - but it only works if you have a system of continuity and stability of personnel. This past offseason has demonstrated that continuity and personnel stability is likely to be a thing of the past for Wyoming (and the rest of college football).
Like you Oredigger....i've been historically "pro-Bohl". But I don't know where he goes at this point. IMO, you have correctly pointed out that he does not have a different gear. My pessimism is rooted in the believe that it may not matter if the program implodes or not...that the high's of Bohl's tenure are as good as it will get. I suppose there is a path to conference championships where the MWC gets completely marginalized and we end up staying in place while the conference level decreases. But as long as BSU and SDSU are around....we are just going to get beat. In the current climate, does anybody think we would ever have a three year stretch of wins against those programs? It feels completely out of reach to me.

My prognostication is only as good as the status quo remains. We'll see what the turmoil churns to the surface over the next 5-7 years. I've been a sunshine pumping pokes fan since Tiller left but I got to say...not a lot of sunshine left for me in the sport of football.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:12 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:52 pm This is why I am concerned and why I believe we are about to see an implosion of Wyoming football. Bohl's mentality and personality is the antithesis of adaptation. He has basically stated that he will continue to run the program like he has always known by developing players to fit his system. That is great and all - but it only works if you have a system of continuity and stability of personnel. This past offseason has demonstrated that continuity and personnel stability is likely to be a thing of the past for Wyoming (and the rest of college football).
Like you Oredigger....i've been historically "pro-Bohl". But I don't know where he goes at this point. IMO, you have correctly pointed out that he does not have a different gear. My pessimism is rooted in the believe that it may not matter if the program implodes or not...that the high's of Bohl's tenure are as good as it will get. I suppose there is a path to conference championships where the MWC gets completely marginalized and we end up staying in place while the conference level decreases. But as long as BSU and SDSU are around....we are just going to get beat. In the current climate, does anybody think we would ever have a three year stretch of wins against those programs? It feels completely out of reach to me.

My prognostication is only as good as the status quo remains. We'll see what the turmoil churns to the surface over the next 5-7 years. I've been a sunshine pumping pokes fan since Tiller left but I got to say...not a lot of sunshine left for me in the sport of football.
This is the first time ever, 60 year old Wyoming native, that I’m more excited for basketball and could easily look right past the football season. I’ll still attend the Wyoming home games. I sure hope I’m surprised and football excels this year, but I wouldn’t bet a $5 bill on it. Then I’d only have half the money needed for super nachos at The War.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:28 am

Is that true though? I've been reading for years about "bag men" at upper level universities paying players. The funding mechanisms are already in place for those universities with the added bonus that the whole scheme just got a hell of a lot easier since it's now OK. I would argue that a bunch of universities were already running something very similar to what we have now.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

[/quote]

Is that true though? I've been reading for years about "bag men" at upper level universities paying players. The funding mechanisms are already in place for those universities with the added bonus that the whole scheme just got a hell of a lot easier since it's now OK. I would argue that a bunch of universities were already running something very similar to what we have now.
[/quote]

Great point. No I wasn’t accounting for the cheating that’s gone on for years, that the NCAA turns a blind eye to.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Meh, Bohl has been mediocre at best other than when Josh was at QB. Good tough kids and consistent program but largely mediocre.

NIL and transfer probably won't effect Bohl much unless he stumbles upon another Josh (who might transfer) which I don't think he will in the remainder of his time here.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm Meh, Bohl has been mediocre at best other than when Josh was at QB. Good tough kids and consistent program but largely mediocre.

NIL and transfer probably won't effect Bohl much unless he stumbles upon another Josh (who might transfer) which I don't think he will in the remainder of his time here.
Huh? Are you saying it doesn’t matter because we won’t lose players to bigger P5 schools? Were you asleep over the winter? Neyor is also a generational talent…