Going forward.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I know everyone is frustrated with the loss, I know I am. However we had a bunch of 18-19yo playing against 22-26yo. Going forward I do not see at all why we cannot win 9-10 games this season. That was without out a doubt the best team we will face this year.

Tulsa was a tough team too, they gave Ole Miss all they wanted. The team we just lost to beat a very very good Baylor team. We got some serious help from penalties to score what we did, but this game was damn sure not a wipe out like they and many prognosticators predicted. They get their heads right it's game on for the MWC championship and assuming we don't have portal issues we should be very good next year. This gives me hope and the future looks bright.

I will be at the War next weekend expecting a nice win at home against Joser. I know this post is all over the place. That is all.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

+1

We still need to figure out how to stop the damn pass. I don't think we've done it well since Hazelton was here.
We need to figure out how to get more offensive production.
Our FG kicker shouldn't lead the team in points scored.

That might change very soon though.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 297 times
Been liked: 126 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:00 am +1

We still need to figure out how to stop the damn pass. I don't think we've done it well since Hazelton was here.
We need to figure out how to get more offensive production.
Our FG kicker shouldn't lead the team in points scored.

That might change very soon though.
I would like some creativity on offense, but……if we win by a field goal from our kicker. I’m okay with that.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Huge games against the Shartans this week. Huge
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Just have to forget the game in Provo and move on. Stay with the basics that have allowed us to win 3 straight after the Illinois game to open the season. BYU was obviously not a conference game but I do believe it will be a game that serves the Pokes well moving forward from a confidence point of view. If I'm not mistaken, at this point we're in control of our own destiny within the Mountain Division. If we win out we're going to the MWC title game. Just get back to basics this coming Saturday, stick with what has worked, beat SJ State, control what we can control, and really that's all we can ask for right now. I was thinking this watching the game the other night: If Bohl keeps this team together and adds on with some nice recruiting classes in the next 2-3 years, this team can be pretty damn special 2-3 years down the line.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 228 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:54 pm Just have to forget the game in Provo and move on. Stay with the basics that have allowed us to win 3 straight after the Illinois game to open the season. BYU was obviously not a conference game but I do believe it will be a game that serves the Pokes well moving forward from a confidence point of view. If I'm not mistaken, at this point we're in control of our own destiny within the Mountain Division. If we win out we're going to the MWC title game. Just get back to basics this coming Saturday, stick with what has worked, beat SJ State, control what we can control, and really that's all we can ask for right now. I was thinking this watching the game the other night: If Bohl keeps this team together and adds on with some nice recruiting classes in the next 2-3 years, this team can be pretty damn special 2-3 years down the line.
Brilliant analysis. The type of in depth analysis that one would certainly expect from a byu education.

1) The Pokes control their own MWC destiny?!? Wow, who knew that to be the case after having only played and won their single conference game.

2) 'Back to the basics'...yes the Pokes should play football rather than the basketball they've been playing.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

The run defense is solid but we really need help against teams that have a decent passing attack. Wyoming's offense is almost the polar opposite- solid in the run game but unable to pass consistently. Peasley is ok on short passes but has accuracy issues on anything more than 10 yards downfield. I wish they call for more QB runs when everyone and his dog is keying on Sven or the other running backs on 1st and 2d down. This team will win or lose based on turnovers. If we get them Wyoming wins, if Wyoming gives them up they lose.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

doreno5 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am The run defense is solid but we really need help against teams that have a decent passing attack. Wyoming's offense is almost the polar opposite- solid in the run game but unable to pass consistently. Peasley is ok on short passes but has accuracy issues on anything more than 10 yards downfield. I wish they call for more QB runs when everyone and his dog is keying on Sven or the other running backs on 1st and 2d down. This team will win or lose based on turnovers. If we get them Wyoming wins, if Wyoming gives them up they lose.
Speaking of which, we've forced very few this year. Hope that changes.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:01 am
doreno5 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am The run defense is solid but we really need help against teams that have a decent passing attack. Wyoming's offense is almost the polar opposite- solid in the run game but unable to pass consistently. Peasley is ok on short passes but has accuracy issues on anything more than 10 yards downfield. I wish they call for more QB runs when everyone and his dog is keying on Sven or the other running backs on 1st and 2d down. This team will win or lose based on turnovers. If we get them Wyoming wins, if Wyoming gives them up they lose.
Speaking of which, we've forced very few this year. Hope that changes.
Yep, it’s been key in years past.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Well stated. Turnovers was a point of emphasis in the spring and fall according to Bohl but we just haven't been creating them, (especially in the secondary). With our offense that is unlikely to have many big plays, favorable field position is a must.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Joser is better than they once were but no way they should ever come into Laramie and win.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 am Joser is better than they once were but no way they should ever come into Laramie and win.
Will be a good measuring stick game. I'm with you but I'll bet it's a tough game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

San Jo will be a tough game. In theory, a bad matchup for us, as they like to sling the ball. We’ll have our work cut out for us
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Just an observation, but putting a lot of heat on the passing QB seems to help a lot . Use a 4 to 6 man defensive line to get to the QB?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:41 pm Just an observation, but putting a lot of heat on the passing QB seems to help a lot . Use a 4 to 6 man defensive line to get to the QB?
Our linebackers ability to close off running lanes seems to be a key component of this defense. A bigger pass rush would seem to open up the ability of teams to sustain drives by running the ball.

Personally, I think we need to have our defensive backs play more press coverage rather than the soft coverages we are seeing. Sure we will give up some big plays as we don't have the talent we are accustomed to in the secondary but it seems to me that we are really allowing teams to get in a rhythm in the passing game by not disrupting the timing.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 am Joser is better than they once were but no way they should ever come into Laramie and win.
I wish that were true, but I remember losing to them one Homecoming, and I, for one, am not taking them lightly.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:42 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:54 pm Just have to forget the game in Provo and move on. Stay with the basics that have allowed us to win 3 straight after the Illinois game to open the season. BYU was obviously not a conference game but I do believe it will be a game that serves the Pokes well moving forward from a confidence point of view. If I'm not mistaken, at this point we're in control of our own destiny within the Mountain Division. If we win out we're going to the MWC title game. Just get back to basics this coming Saturday, stick with what has worked, beat SJ State, control what we can control, and really that's all we can ask for right now. I was thinking this watching the game the other night: If Bohl keeps this team together and adds on with some nice recruiting classes in the next 2-3 years, this team can be pretty damn special 2-3 years down the line.
Brilliant analysis. The type of in depth analysis that one would certainly expect from a byu education.

1) The Pokes control their own MWC destiny?!? Wow, who knew that to be the case after having only played and won their single conference game.

2) 'Back to the basics'...yes the Pokes should play football rather than the basketball they've been playing.
I just did a ton of research. It appears if we score more points than the opponent, we can win the game. That should be our #1 priority going forward. Can anyone confirm?

/tic
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:54 am San Jo will be a tough game. In theory, a bad matchup for us, as they like to sling the ball. We’ll have our work cut out for us
Can't disagree here. We are slowing the passing game down for opponents. We gotta stop it though. I haven't watched any SJSU games this year, but the last few years, they seemed pretty pass heavy.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:41 pm Just an observation, but putting a lot of heat on the passing QB seems to help a lot . Use a 4 to 6 man defensive line to get to the QB?
I really thought Sebastian Harsh was going to help with the pass rush.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:50 pm
I really thought Sebastian Harsh was going to help with the pass rush.
I'm sure he would have helped quite a bit, if he wasn't out for the year.