Time for Conference schedule!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Ok...loss to an OOC top 25 team on the road. No shame in that .... it's not like we got blown off the field. Once they got two plus scores up on us in the second half...I was pretty sure how it was going to end. I know it was a loss but Bohl tends to get shellacked in these games. This Wyoming team is much better than the one that got lit up by Illinois and squeaked out a win vs Tulsa.

So onward we go...As we head in to the conference schedule, I'm actually eyeing the Kool-Aid here fellas. Do I need to take a chill pill? Not very many teams have a QB and receiver's like we just faced. Our defense can stop anybody running on us. Do any of the MWC teams look like they will be able to score much on us? I kind of think they won't be able to. Thoughts?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:11 am Ok...loss to an OOC top 25 team on the road. No shame in that .... it's not like we got blown off the field. Once they got two plus scores up on us in the second half...I was pretty sure how it was going to end. I know it was a loss but Bohl tends to get shellacked in these games. This Wyoming team is much better than the one that got lit up by Illinois and squeaked out a win vs Tulsa.

So onward we go...As we head in to the conference schedule, I'm actually eyeing the Kool-Aid here fellas. Do I need to take a chill pill? Not very many teams have a QB and receiver's like we just faced. Our defense can stop anybody running on us. Do any of the MWC teams look like they will be able to score much on us? I kind of think they won't be able to. Thoughts?
This team has talent and there is no quit. I’m cautiously optimistic. SJSU will be a battle next week. SJSU is one of the better MWC teams this year for sure.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm with you. I think I've already had a few sips. This game could have been very different if their quarter was just a little more average. He is very good. Like I said in my going forward post. It's game on for conference season. We play like we have for the better part of the last 8 quarters I don't know of anyone in conference that we shouldn't beat. The only question marks still being Boise and Fresno. Boise is definitely beatable more than any year in my memory. Fresno without Haener we stand a dang good chance, so I say let's win the whole f'n thing. No reason not to finish with double digit wins for the first time since 1996.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Happy with how we looked against them overall, didn't make costly mistakes, played within ourselves on the road (where I've seen it unravel many times b4). And no big injuries. San Jose will be a test as here at Wyoming we NEVER have easy games. But there is no reason a California school should come to 7220 and beat you!!! Too bad I'll miss this one due to opening day for elk in the Rattlesnake Hills, but always listenin and Go Pokes!!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:11 am Ok...loss to an OOC top 25 team on the road. No shame in that .... it's not like we got blown off the field. Once they got two plus scores up on us in the second half...I was pretty sure how it was going to end. I know it was a loss but Bohl tends to get shellacked in these games. This Wyoming team is much better than the one that got lit up by Illinois and squeaked out a win vs Tulsa.

Don't know if you noticed, but Tulsa kept Ol' Miss scoreless in the second half, hanging with them the whole game before losing by a touchdown in Oxford.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Don't know if you noticed, but Tulsa kept Ol' Miss scoreless in the second half, hanging with them the whole game before losing by a touchdown in Oxford.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:10 am

And UNC doesn’t appear to be quite as bad as we thought (blowing out Idaho State).
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

We have a shot. This team impresses and is getting better every week. I wish Bohl would have a pair.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Week to week improvements are there. Physically we look like we can hang with anyone in the league, as a few other folks have said the team from provistan is the best team on the schedule this year. As others have said, these games in the past were a good quarter and then lay down and roll over.

San Jose is a salty squad, whipping a decent Western Michigan team that went toe to toe with Pitt for 3 quarters. I like that this game is at 7220. Keep getting better every week and this could be a special season.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

I’m happy with our team. MWC is generally weak this season, so it seems there’s a real chance we can find ourselves near or at the top.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Beat Joser and I’ll be lapping kool-aid. New Mexico and San Jose are the teams that stand between Bohl and a conference record above 500. If we would just consistently beat the bottom dwellers, Bohl overall would be a much different story.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Looks like there is no line for the SJSU game. Pick ‘em. Very interesting.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:38 pm Looks like there is no line for the SJSU game. Pick ‘em. Very interesting.
Last I saw we were a 1pt favorite.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Some of the conservative play calls were head scratchers, but Bohl has done good work with this squad. Easy to be a fan of this group of kids. Parity is the MWC. WYO could win or lose any game on the schedule.

It's actually going to be a pretty fun year!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

aranderson wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:58 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:38 pm Looks like there is no line for the SJSU game. Pick ‘em. Very interesting.
Last I saw we were a 1pt favorite.
Three-pick money line parlay: Middle Tennessee, SDSU, and Wyoming pays over 14:1... jes' sayin'... :whistle:
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I'm excited for conference play.

I'm still cautious. Previous years we've went on some winning steaks, only to 💩 vs teams we should beat. New Mexico, Hawaii for example.

The fact that we literally control our own destiny already, leaves no excuses.

This team has so much potential. I'm seeing Peasely getting better each game. We just played a likely NFL prospect at QB, so all things considered, I'm okay taking a loss in front of 60k on the road over an FCS win. I know a win is a win, but sometimes these losses are better long-term. After seeing and talking to some of the players postgame in Provo, this group seems confident, but just enjoying playing the game. I'm trying to embrace the young, just roll with it attitude they are playing with.

I think our schedule has been a good mix of games.

Current records:
Illinois 3-1
Tulsa 2-2
UNC 2-2
Air Force 3-1
BYU 3-1

Cowboys are in the driver's seat! And no one was expecting it.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

djm19 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm I'm excited for conference play.

I'm still cautious. Previous years we've went on some winning steaks, only to 💩 vs teams we should beat. New Mexico, Hawaii for example.

The fact that we literally control our own destiny already, leaves no excuses.

This team has so much potential. I'm seeing Peasely getting better each game. We just played a likely NFL prospect at QB, so all things considered, I'm okay taking a loss in front of 60k on the road over an FCS win. I know a win is a win, but sometimes these losses are better long-term. After seeing and talking to some of the players postgame in Provo, this group seems confident, but just enjoying playing the game. I'm trying to embrace the young, just roll with it attitude they are playing with.

I think our schedule has been a good mix of games.

Current records:
Illinois 3-1
Tulsa 2-2
UNC 2-2
Air Force 3-1
BYU 3-1

Cowboys are in the driver's seat! And no one was expecting it.
My biggest issue is some of the flashbacks I have to early in Bohl's career at Wyoming. Those first two years were tough - often losing by like 3 in an ungodly number of overtimes.

Something is different about this. Those early teams were lacking defense. He did well with those Christensen recruits on offense. I don't even want to think about Stanard.

BYU was a beast. 525 yards and 300+ passing. Illinois is a stumper to me (new team though).

Roll back to last year when we had the most seniors and most experience in FBS - or something like that, and about all I can say is inconsistency.

Anyways, I won't be posting predictions (I'm always wrong). It wouldn't be surprising if our smaller d-line wreacs havoc on SJSU. I still don't know if that would translate to a win.