Defensive Secondary

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

From my observation, I'd say that the defensive backs on both Wyoming and BYU were the reason we lost. Their backs repeatedly closed on our receivers and broke up passes, and our backs weren't fast/quick enough to close the gaps. Thoughts?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Yes...completely agree. You might be able to make a case that BYU's QB and WR talent may have had a lot to do with our DB's struggles, but my money is on our DB's being not that good.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:25 am From my observation, I'd say that the defensive backs on both Wyoming and BYU were the reason we lost. Their backs repeatedly closed on our receivers and broke up passes, and our backs weren't fast/quick enough to close the gaps. Thoughts?
I think you're exactly right.

To make up for some of our lack of speed and coverage issues, our defensive backs are playing very soft coverages. Personally, I would prefer we play press coverages to throw off the timing of the opposing offense (but there are tradeoffs of giving up the big play once and awhile).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Their WRs were very good
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Cam Stone nearly had a pick on a back shoulder throw and it’s only a miracle they came up with it. I think they’re all too new. I’d have to rewatch but throwing a 50 yard pass isn’t “getting burned” in the secondary if the QB has 5 seconds to throw. If you only rush 4, you better get pressure and you better be tight in the secondary.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:02 pm Cam Stone nearly had a pick on a back shoulder throw and it’s only a miracle they came up with it. I think they’re all too new. I’d have to rewatch but throwing a 50 yard pass isn’t “getting burned” in the secondary if the QB has 5 seconds to throw. If you only rush 4, you better get pressure and you better be tight in the secondary.
I said in the game thread that I thought they were getting lucky on some throws. Credit to their WRs and QB. The best we will face this year
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:09 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:02 pm Cam Stone nearly had a pick on a back shoulder throw and it’s only a miracle they came up with it. I think they’re all too new. I’d have to rewatch but throwing a 50 yard pass isn’t “getting burned” in the secondary if the QB has 5 seconds to throw. If you only rush 4, you better get pressure and you better be tight in the secondary.
I said in the game thread that I thought they were getting lucky on some throws. Credit to their WRs and QB. The best we will face this year
Our receivers simply do not get separation like other teams. The defensive backs practice against them all week, it is no wonder the speed on other teams takes them some time to adjust to. I do not think it is necessarily a lack of speed as much as Wyoming plays a lot of soft zone coverage with the idea that pressure from the line will force some early or inaccurate passes.
I also felt that BYU was getting away with more than normal downfield contact and saw a couple illegal picks including the first BYU touchdown.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

doreno5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:10 pm
Our receivers simply do not get separation like other teams. The defensive backs practice against them all week, it is no wonder the speed on other teams takes them some time to adjust to. I do not think it is necessarily a lack of speed as much as Wyoming plays a lot of soft zone coverage with the idea that pressure from the line will force some early or inaccurate passes.
I also felt that BYU was getting away with more than normal downfield contact and saw a couple illegal picks including the first BYU touchdown.
I believe most pro teams and good college teams illegally pick a lot. They’re not going to call it every time. Hell, they might not call it all sans byu games. Especially on 3rd and long the risk is low and reward is high.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:48 pm
doreno5 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:10 pm
I believe most pro teams and good college teams illegally pick a lot. They’re not going to call it every time. Hell, they might not call it all sans byu games. Especially on 3rd and long the risk is low and reward is high.
As far as I know...there is no such thing as a "pick" penalty. There is, however, offensive pass interference. I believe it must occur beyond the line of scrimmage during a forward pass. Tons of teams run perfectly legal pick plays by that definition but teams also will run crossing routes where the intent is to "rub" a defender off...in that case it's offensive pass interference...subject to the ref's interpretation of intent of course.