Absolutely disgusting effort

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:32 am Up and down with a young team? Maybe that is to be expected? Regardless, should have been a better performance and I'm sure the entire team is disappointed.

I'll hold judgement for another game. It's a matchup where this young team should be able to pull out a win. A good sign will be a bounce-back game and put the hammer on the blowbos. Bohl doesn't have a good track record against them, so a dominant win on the road would be a really good sign. If it goes the other way, well, then, same old, same old, I guess.

I'd like to see 1 more game before jumping off the cliff.
I think you are right....I was eyeing the kool-aid after beating AFA and having a pretty decent half against BYU. Now I'm eyeing the cliff...

One thing that has happened in both of the last two games. We allowed a late touchdown before halftime and never recovered. It feels like good teams will get what they want on us once they settle in.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 am I'd like to see what Peasley can do throwing the gosh darn ball 30+ times a game. I bet good things would happen.

But Bohl is too retarded to even try, there's a better chance of hell freezing over.
Huh?? Peasley threw the ball 20 times against SJSU and completed 6 of them. He was wildly inaccurate all game although the protection wasn’t very good either. He made a terrible decision to throw the receiver screen when the receiver was jammed at the line. Against SJSU, I cringed every time we dropped back to throw.

I’d like to see this offense get the tight ends and full backs more involved in the pass game (we did try one throw to the FB but it was at his feet). I’d like to see Peasley take more advantage of his best skill (his speed).

I’d like to see this offense get the ball to DQ James in space. We are literally wasting our best offensive playmaker and I wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers rather than languish on the bench.
I should have said I'd like to see him throw it 30 times a game using the formations and concepts we saw against Tulsa. Empty backfield type sets with quick hitting crossing routes in the middle of the field. Basically our "2 minute" offense.

What we saw vs SJSU was the same old, predictable, tired play action bullshyte that takes 7 years for the routes to develop and the other plays that "attack" the sidelines that make for extremely long and difficult throws that go for 4-5 yards at most.

I want to see Peasley pass in an offense that has the mentality of "we're going to win this game by passing the ball". Which is never going to happen.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:29 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:17 am
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:48 am I'd like to see what Peasley can do throwing the gosh darn ball 30+ times a game. I bet good things would happen.

But Bohl is too retarded to even try, there's a better chance of hell freezing over.
Huh?? Peasley threw the ball 20 times against SJSU and completed 6 of them. He was wildly inaccurate all game although the protection wasn’t very good either. He made a terrible decision to throw the receiver screen when the receiver was jammed at the line. Against SJSU, I cringed every time we dropped back to throw.

I’d like to see this offense get the tight ends and full backs more involved in the pass game (we did try one throw to the FB but it was at his feet). I’d like to see Peasley take more advantage of his best skill (his speed).

I’d like to see this offense get the ball to DQ James in space. We are literally wasting our best offensive playmaker and I wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers rather than languish on the bench.
For the life of me, I don't understand why DQ isn't fielding KO's and punt returns. Especially if he is only going to get 2 carries a game (SJSU), 0 carries a game (bWHYu), O carries a game (AFA), 3 carries a game (UNC), 2 carries a game (Tulsa), and 2 carries a game (Illinois). But what do I know, I coach little league. :roll:
I think DQ has been injured, but the point still stands. He should be returning the punts and kicks and should, honestly, be a receiver catching 7-10 balls a game.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 pm
aranderson wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:33 am Peasley was way way off today. Clemons may soon see his opportunity. Our chances were there in the pass game they were just missed badly.
Yes, because moving to a 7th QB in 6 years will certainly fix the passing game. Lol.

I really hate the fact that we're immediately moving to criticize Peasley (just like we've done with every other QB).

Peasley showed an immense amount of potential at USU and was really only their #2 because Bonner was Anderson's "guy" and he stuck with him no matter what (much to USU fans' chagrin) until injuries forced his hand. And there's a reason the job was pretty much his the moment he stepped on campus.

At a certain point we have to stop being reactionary and recognize that Bohl's offenses, for various reasons, don't work here and they do nothing but stunt young, talented QBs' development.

There's a reason that the only successful QB Bohl has had here was a once-in-a-lifetime, generational freak of an athlete who was able to carry the team on his back...and even then Allen still looked abysmal at times and had some pretty terrible numbers.

The QBs aren't the issue. The system is. If you throw Clemons in there based on the fact that he threw one good pass on Saturday....the exact same thing is going to happen that has happened to every single QB before him. He'll have a great game once in a while against inferior competition, maybe even pull out a competitive win once in a while...but he'll be annihilated by good defenses and it will eventually wear him down.
I'm not criticizing him, I have been in his camp from day one. In fact prior to the game I clamored that he was better than Williams and Chambers. I'm just hypothesizing that we may see Clemons if things to improve.

Now I do agree with you on the latter part of your statement. I personally believe because of our coaches philosophy that the o-line heavily practices run blocking (not that you could tell from the last game) and practices pass blocking as an afterthought. You can tell with every drop back that our o-line doesn't know or do well with pass blocking. It will end up getting someone hurt and the press conference following won't be on how bad the blocking is but how the quarterback made mistakes.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:03 am

One thing that has happened in both of the last two games. We allowed a late touchdown before halftime and never recovered. It feels like good teams will get what they want on us once they settle in.
Yeah, this POKES squad isn't going to tear up good teams but luckily the schedule is mostly devoid of good teams. You are also correct that situational football is important. Those late touchdowns, safeties, etc. loom large with this group.

Definitely curious to watch this game.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am
I'm not criticizing him, I have been in his camp from day one. In fact prior to the game I clamored that he was better than Williams and Chambers. I'm just hypothesizing that we may see Clemons if things to improve.
Ah, fair enough. Yea, I don't know. On one hand, it's historically taken Bohl forever to make personnel changes, particularly at the QB position. He held on to TVW far beyond the point that he was broken, and he held onto Chambers well beyond the point that he was too far in his own head to do any good.

On one hand I'm hoping he sticks to his guns with Peasley as well, because the offense clearly has more options with him and he's clearly a talented, mature, respected player. And moving to another QB is likely going to dial back the playbook yet again, on top of changing the team chemistry.

On the other hand...if literally nothing else changes and he does keep Peasley in, then Peasley is going to end up as yet another QB in a long list of QBs that has been permanently ruined/stunted by Bohl and his staff, which honestly makes me angry on behalf of these young men.

All in all...I'm glad some people are starting to realize Wentz and Allen perhaps succeeded in spite of Bohl, not because of him. I read an op-ed on one of the Mountain West sites back in August I think that finally called Bohl out on it, and all I could do was smile and think to myself "Man, I've been saying this for years."
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I’m too lazy to chart it for this game, but my observation is the offense does better out of the shotgun both running and passing. This was true for the wins we have had. We looked good in traditional run sets against byu though. That hasn’t been true against any other team and if you see a fullback in it’s usually a negative play because of the stacked box.

It’s the offensive system plain and simple. I’m sure Bohl had fun running it with top recruits for his competition at NDSU.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:42 pm I’m too lazy to chart it for this game, but my observation is the offense does better out of the shotgun both running and passing. This was true for the wins we have had. We looked good in traditional run sets against byu though. That hasn’t been true against any other team and if you see a fullback in it’s usually a negative play because of the stacked box.

It’s the offensive system plain and simple. I’m sure Bohl had fun running it with top recruits for his competition at NDSU.
Well on a 4th and less than a yard against SJSU, we went shotgun for some unexplained reason coming out of the timeout. That certainly didn’t work.

Even with a stacked box, I’d expect us to be a able to get a yard on a QB sneak. Yet for some unexplained reason that play is no longer in the playbook resulting in a safety and a turnover on downs.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:42 pm I’m too lazy to chart it for this game, but my observation is the offense does better out of the shotgun both running and passing. This was true for the wins we have had. We looked good in traditional run sets against byu though. That hasn’t been true against any other team and if you see a fullback in it’s usually a negative play because of the stacked box.

Well on a 4th and less than a yard against SJSU, we went shotgun for some unexplained reason coming out of the timeout. That certainly didn’t work.

Even with a stacked box, I’d expect us to be a able to get a yard on a QB sneak. Yet for some unexplained reason that play is no longer in the playbook resulting in a safety and a turnover on downs.
Completely agree, that was a terrible play call for that position on the field and to make matters worse, not only was it a slooooooooow developing play, but they also didn't provide a blacking back on the play for Titus Swen.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

The safety wasn’t out of the shutgun though. Peasley lined up under center, I assume to make the defense think of a sneak. Horrible play design.
https://twitter.com/SanJoseStateFB/sta ... 45iRpYxWQQ
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

marcuswyo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:16 am The safety wasn’t out of the shutgun though. Peasley lined up under center, I assume to make the defense think of a sneak. Horrible play design.
https://twitter.com/SanJoseStateFB/sta ... 45iRpYxWQQ
Yea - my point there was what the heck happened to the QB sneak. I don’t think we have ran that a single time this year. With Allen and Chambers, we at least were effective with that. Both the safety and 4th down play calls were nonsensical.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

There have been numerous times this season that a QB sneak is in order, and we end up running it - with our weak assed O line ending up getting blown away and we lose yards. Not sure why stubborn assed Bohl doesn't put in Svoboda and QB sneak it. The guy is 6'5" and 245 - this little league coach thinks that play is a first down. Every time.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

aranderson wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 pm
aranderson wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:33 am Peasley was way way off today. Clemons may soon see his opportunity. Our chances were there in the pass game they were just missed badly.
Now I do agree with you on the latter part of your statement. I personally believe because of our coaches philosophy that the o-line heavily practices run blocking (not that you could tell from the last game) and practices pass blocking as an afterthought. You can tell with every drop back that our o-line doesn't know or do well with pass blocking. It will end up getting someone hurt and the press conference following won't be on how bad the blocking is but how the quarterback made mistakes.
Wyoming under Bohl has always played run dominated teams tough. Passing teams have given his teams trouble. Like the O-line, defenses need to practice against passing schemes to prepare. Wyoming simply does not have the talent needed to practice both running and passing on offense or defense. Bohl has chosen to stress running but the rules have changed and the game now favors passing.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 am

There have been numerous times this season that a QB sneak is in order, and we end up running it - with our weak assed O line ending up getting blown away and we lose yards. Not sure why stubborn assed Bohl doesn't put in Svoboda and QB sneak it. The guy is 6'5" and 245 - this little league coach thinks that play is a first down. Every time.
I watch a lot of college football. There is what I call down-and-distance short yardage (1 1/2 - 3 yards) and d&d micro-yardage (less than 1 1/2 yards). It's astonishing how many offensive egos will defy logic and odds in micro-yardage situations and call plays that initiate with a loss of yardage, i.e. shotgun snaps, roll-out pitches, etc. Logic AND game records dictate otherwise. Your chance of success in vital conversion (3rd or 4th down) micro-yardage situations is dramatically higher if the forward ball movement is initiated as close to the LOS as possible. Except for instances of the Wagners of the CFB world playing B1G teams, line size disparities practically disappear when the LOS is crowded, especially when there's extra blocking by speedy receivers and backs. Any coach who calls for drop-back plays from the LOS in micro-yardage situations (depending on the down) is either over-thinking the situation or just trying to show off, but I suppose that's all little league analysis... ;)
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:36 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:25 am

I watch a lot of college football. There is what I call down-and-distance short yardage (1 1/2 - 3 yards) and d&d micro-yardage (less than 1 1/2 yards). It's astonishing how many offensive egos will defy logic and odds in micro-yardage situations and call plays that initiate with a loss of yardage, i.e. shotgun snaps, roll-out pitches, etc. Logic AND game records dictate otherwise. Your chance of success in vital conversion (3rd or 4th down) micro-yardage situations is dramatically higher if the forward ball movement is initiated as close to the LOS as possible. Except for instances of the Wagners of the CFB world playing B1G teams, line size disparities practically disappear when the LOS is crowded, especially when there's extra blocking by speedy receivers and backs. Any coach who calls for drop-back plays from the LOS in micro-yardage situations (depending on the down) is either over-thinking the situation or just trying to show off, but I suppose that's all little league analysis... ;)
Well said!

I was screaming when we came out of the timeout lined up in shotgun on 4th down. Simple math dictates the play call and formation there.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Not an excuse but joser looks decent. Young POKES were not a good matchup.

That was one of the better unlv teams in a while and joser took them to the woodshed regardless of qb change (for unlv).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I've seen terrible effort before. San Jose was just better than Wyoming.

At the end of the day, this season became a rebuild as soon as all those transfers left.

I still think they will get to six wins - possibly seven.