The Football Program: Is this as good as it can get?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Just thinking in regard to a lot of thoughts on the coach and the staff, recruiting, projections, the future, do you all believe that this is as good as it can get?

Bohl said his job would not be done until he wins the MWC championship and that shot came and went in Allen's second to last season. Since then we haven't been able to sniff those kinds of roses, not even close.

Hiring Bohl at the time seemed to be a grand slam home run, and in many ways it was, and perhaps it still is. We have witnessed stability within the program in terms of the HC position for 9 years now, we have appeared in several bowl games the last few years, we have produced NFL caliber talent at what seems to be an unprecedented rate since Bohl took over, attendance has gone up, the facilities have been greatly improved, recruiting has been pretty solid, and I'l take the word of a few here that the War will see even more improvements shortly.

But my question is about any ceilings or limitations that could be a part of any coach's universe in Laramie. Take out years 1 and 2 where Bohl needed to expunge the disaster he inherited from Christensen and he's 42- 35 overall with 4 bowl appearances and 3 wins in those bowl games.

So in terms of winning more games than losing games, Bohl comes out a winner in that category. No Wyoming coach has brought their teams to more bowl games, and as I noted above, no Wyoming coach has seen the NFL interested in more players for Wyoming than since Bohl became the coach.

So I'm left to wonder if a coach with such a decorated record at a previous school (NDSU) and great reputation, if that kind of a coach comes here and can't consistently coach up teams on a year in and year out basis that seriously competes for a conference championship, then can anyone else do better who would be interested in this job?

I have always believed in all the years I've been a Cowboys fan that the program, particularly now, should be considered a sleeping giant. I like Bohl, I think Bohl is a good man, and I think he's been a great ambassador for the program.

But where, I ask, could another man be expected to do better than a guy like Craig Bohl?

With what we've seen since Bohl became the coach, is this as good as it can get?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:52 pm Just thinking in regard to a lot of thoughts on the coach and the staff, recruiting, projections, the future, do you all believe that this is as good as it can get?

Bohl said his job would not be done until he wins the MWC championship and that shot came and went in Allen's second to last season. Since then we haven't been able to sniff those kinds of roses, not even close.

Hiring Bohl at the time seemed to be a grand slam home run, and in many ways it was, and perhaps it still is. We have witnessed stability within the program in terms of the HC position for 9 years now, we have appeared in several bowl games the last few years, we have produced NFL caliber talent at what seems to be an unprecedented rate since Bohl took over, attendance has gone up, the facilities have been greatly improved, recruiting has been pretty solid, and I'l take the word of a few here that the War will see even more improvements shortly.

But my question is about any ceilings or limitations that could be a part of any coach's universe in Laramie. Take out years 1 and 2 where Bohl needed to expunge the disaster he inherited from Christensen and he's 42- 35 overall with 4 bowl appearances and 3 wins in those bowl games.

So in terms of winning more games than losing games, Bohl comes out a winner in that category. No Wyoming coach has brought their teams to more bowl games, and as I noted above, no Wyoming coach has seen the NFL interested in more players for Wyoming than since Bohl became the coach.

So I'm left to wonder if a coach with such a decorated record at a previous school (NDSU) and great reputation, if that kind of a coach comes here and can't consistently coach up teams on a year in and year out basis that seriously competes for a conference championship, then can anyone else do better who would be interested in this job?

I have always believed in all the years I've been a Cowboys fan that the program, particularly now, should be considered a sleeping giant. I like Bohl, I think Bohl is a good man, and I think he's been a great ambassador for the program.

But where, I ask, could another man be expected to do better than a guy like Craig Bohl?

With what we've seen since Bohl became the coach, is this as good as it can get?
Paul Roach and Joe Tiller would say "no".
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

Excluding the first 2 years with Bohl as the coach and cleaning up the mess from Christensen, the Pokes were 4-12 in conference play in 2014 and 2015.

In conference since then he has gone:
6-2 in 2016
5-3 in 2017
4-4 in 2018
4-4 in 2019
2-4 in 2020
2-6 in 2021

This season the Pokes are now 1-1 in conference play.

So since 2017 Bohl's teams have a combined in conference record of 24-23 and this is where I think most Cowboys fans have an issue.

Paul Roach coached for 4 years and went a combined 35-15 with an astounding 26-6 in conference record. But was this not a different collegiate football environment Roach coached in? I'm sure some will say yes and others might say no. Roach also coached in 3 bowl games not winning any of them.

Joe Tiller (loved him) coached 6 years and went a combined 39-30 with the Pokes with an in conference record of 26-21 with 1 bowl game (a loss) (Pokes definitely should have gone bowling in 1996 of course).

Did Tiller coach in a different environment as well?

In my mind it's really hard to quantify what exactly the ceiling is for the Wyoming football program.

I mean we could talk all day about Dimel and Koenning and Glenn and Christensen, right up until now with Bohl.

I do think Bohl has had much more to work with, better infrastructure, more money, better facilities, and more notoriety than any of his predecessors and in Year #9 it might be more than fair to say his tenure should have produced more up to this point.

Here is what I do know. If you had told me during the 2016 year and all it entailed, that 6 years later the program would be in the position it is right now, I would not have believed you.

Not that you can expect year to year improvement, there are always going to be hiccups for most programs, but yes, I expected more out of this than where we are right now.

Deep down I would suggest that if he was being honest, Craig Bohl would say the same thing.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:46 pm
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:52 pm Just thinking in regard to a lot of thoughts on the coach and the staff, recruiting, projections, the future, do you all believe that this is as good as it can get?

The glory days you speak of are really the only argument that it "can" get better. It was a decent point 15 years ago but with each passing year it gets weaker.

I think I can make the point a bit more succinctly.... What if it's neither about X's and o's or Jimmys and Joe's? In that case .. whomever is at the helm will be subject to whatever it is that has kept Wyoming football mired in mediocrity (at best) for the last quarter century.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:05 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:46 pm

The glory days you speak of are really the only argument that it "can" get better. It was a decent point 15 years ago but with each passing year it gets weaker.

I think I can make the point a bit more succinctly.... What if it's neither about X's and o's or Jimmys and Joe's? In that case .. whomever is at the helm will be subject to whatever it is that has kept Wyoming football mired in mediocrity (at best) for the last quarter century.
Yeah, I've thought about that as I've watched and groaned at things over the years. So if that's the case then I ask myself why am I even thinking of making a coaching change if whomever comes it will fare no better, and maybe even worse?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Depends on realignment. If the conference WYO is in continues to weaken (i.e. lose bsu, sdsu, etc.), then the chances of winning a conference championship continues to improve regardless of coach.

I know people don't like gimmicky offenses, but, at WYO, whatever the system is (offense or defense), it must mask talent deficiencies. At WYO, you'll always have talent deficiencies in some areas (youth, recruiting, or other).

Bohl has done well with getting kids that play hard which can overcome deficiencies to an extent, but we are seeing the limitations of that. We invest enough to be competitive in the current MWC. If Bohl could ever figure out an offense that isn't predicated on a generational talent at QB, he'd be in good shape. The setback on D (particularly the secondary) doesn't really concern me. You'll have those years after attrition or graduations.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

With the new facilities and support, maybe we should try a coach with a modern offense before we bury the program. SMH.

You two cowboy fans carry on
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 am With the new facilities and support, maybe we should try a coach with a modern offense before we bury the program. SMH.

"That's a bingo!"
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:28 am With the new facilities and support, maybe we should try a coach with a modern offense before we bury the program. SMH.

I don't think the question is whether or not to bury the program....It is "what is the ceiling of the program?".

What if the ceiling for Wyoming football in the modern era is somewhere below ever appearing in a New Year's bowl game? Or, as Ragtime pointed out, will we ever win a conference title as long as BSU, SDSU and other top half current MWC programs are in the conference? Are we being unrealistic by expecting more? I hope not but I can't just call it a dumb question. I don't see an obvious way forward. In the future, any great player talent will not stay long. Any great coach will, at best, be here for one great season and bolt but, more likely, bypass Wyoming entirely.

It annoys the crap out of me that we have been average at best for my entire adult life but maybe I shouldn't be annoyed at all. It's like, at a certain point most people who play sports accept that they will never earn a dime by playing the sport they love...they get a degree or learn a trade and move on with their life. They can still go down and mix it up at open gym or play some pick-up games....but it's not the focus. Is Wyoming football like the guy who peaked in high school sports and can never move on? Perhaps the investment was always throwing money down the drain and the stuff that limited Wyoming was never about the $$$.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Let me preface this by saying that I do think our potential overall ceiling is a little bit higher, and I do think this is our ceiling under Bohl. make no mistake; Bohl needs to go and why that is is a separate, in-depth conversation I'm more than happy to have. BUT...

I always find it amusing when people bring up Roach and Tiller as an example of "what could be".

This isn't 1996, guys. Literally everything about college football has changed, and not in a small way.

Recruiting, finances, sports science and nutrition, sports psychology, the rules, the schemes, and the way the game itself is played are all monumentally different.

If everything were the same, Bohl would have at least 3 MWC championships by now because 90s football is literally his element; it's quite literally what he's known for and what he has had the most success with.

So any non-disingenuous conversation about what our ceiling is cannot and should not involve mentioning the Roach or Tiller years.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:56 am Let me preface this by saying that I do think our potential overall ceiling is a little bit higher, and I do think this is our ceiling under Bohl. make no mistake; Bohl needs to go and why that is is a separate, in-depth conversation I'm more than happy to have. BUT...

I always find it amusing when people bring up Roach and Tiller as an example of "what could be".

This isn't 1996, guys. Literally everything about college football has changed, and not in a small way.

Recruiting, finances, sports science and nutrition, sports psychology, the rules, the schemes, and the way the game itself is played are all monumentally different.

If everything were the same, Bohl would have at least 3 MWC championships by now because 90s football is literally his element; it's quite literally what he's known for and what he has had the most success with.

So any non-disingenuous conversation about what our ceiling is cannot and should not involve mentioning the Roach or Tiller years.
Your posts have been very interesting and I enjoy your insight.

Would you kindly tell me where you have an issue with Bohl and why you feel he needs to go and Wyoming football needs to go in a new direction?

Is it recruiting and personnel, is it playing style, is it that a new voice and vision is needed?

If you choose to elaborate I'd be more than interested in reading your thoughts.

Thank you.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Sure.

I don't think it does justice to only focus on the bad without addressing the good as well though, because that paints an incomplete picture and makes it harder to analyze the overall situation...so I'll go ahead an give all my thoughts on his tenure because, well, why not.

Make no mistake...Craig Bohl was a home run hire and exactly what this program needed. He's done an awful lot for Cowboy football and I do think...provided he doesn't go down in an epic, flaming fashion...he deserves a very high place in Wyoming Cowboys football history.

Craig Bohl is a solid defensive mind that has produced some of the best defenses in the Mountain West. He's also very good at identifying raw defensive talent and, more importantly, developing it...and he's repeatedly shown the ability to identify and hire quality defensive staff. Moreover, his secondary specialty (as with many defensive coaches) is special teams..and outside of some occasional issues, he's excelled all around with this as well. Moreover, he's done well with S&C staff.

He's also an average to decent recruiter, with an average recruiting composite just above DC's (the only other Wyoming coach in the "modern" recruiting era that we can compare hard recruiting statistics against). This is important to note, as it's very difficult in this day and age to recruit straight-up/semi-developed talent to Laramie.

Culturally, both within the program and the community, he was (and still is) and excellent fit as well.

Where Craig Bohl starts to fall off and lack competitiveness in modern CFB:

Offensive philosophy (and I'm going to mostly copy a previous comment of mine, with some changes): Bohl is stuck in the old-school pro-style Nebraska scheme of putting a mobile QB behind a huge OL that's great in run blocking, but not so good in pass pro. You rely on the QB's mobility and the OL's pure freakish size and athleticism to simply manhandle defenses and wear them down over time....while depending on tall receivers with large catch radiuses to win 50/50 balls.

The problem is, while you can put together a squad that can dominate like that in the FCS, and you can get the offensive linemen to run that scheme somewhat well in the B1G still, it doesn't work in Laramie (due to our inability to get those kind of linemen consistently) or anywhere else (due to the fact that defensive minds figured out how to defend that scheme a long freaking time ago, which is why really only a handful of B1G teams still use it and that's it). Add that to the fact that we can't develop receiver talent to save our lives, we have no passing game and haven't had one since 2016. Now, consider that the modern CFB game (even many gimmick offenses) skews heavily towards and is predicated upon a solid passing game...it's absolutely no wonder why our offenses have been stuck in neutral his entire career at Wyoming.

I saw someone make a pretty good point on Twitter a while back....like I get it. You come up playing in that system, coaching that system, defending against that system, watching that system literally win national championships at the FBS level 25 years ago, and at the FCS level only 10 years ago...it's hard to adjust as a coach. But if he can't adjust....then it's time for him to go.

Offensive talent development: So, considering all of the above, it's even more difficult to recruit good offensive talent to Laramie. But then when it gets here, it's impossible to develop it. In fact, as we've seen with numerous QBs and WRs, we actually end up stunting offensive players' development by continuing to try to fit square pegs in round holes. This leads to players never being able to recover, quitting, or simply transferring out.

There is a reason the vast majority of the talent we send to the NFL is on the defensive side.

Offensive staff: While Craig Bohl has been great at hiring and replacing talent on his defensive staff...and has shown a willingness to fire underperforming defensive staff...the same cannot be said for the offensive side. Vigen was here at least 50% longer than he should have been. Mike Grant has somehow failed upwards within the Wyoming Football staff. Polasek...hired from an Iowa staff who have struggled mightily on the offensive side for years...has been only marginally better than Vigen. And we've gone through, what, 3-4 OL coaches during Bohl's tenure, with each of them being progressively worse than the last. Now, I don't know how much of this is a failure in identifying and hiring coaching talent in itself, or how much of it is simply him hiring yes men that are willing to continue to try to force his preferred offensive philosophy...but I do know that it's not working, and his loyalty to some of these guys just drags things out further.

Now, while Bohl has historically been great with defensive staff, Sawvel was a curious hire that came with some mild concerns and mixed input from both Minnesota and Wake Forest fans, and that is obviously not panning out very well at all. Sawvel's specialty is the back end, but he and Boyd (our other backend coach) are both dealing with that being the most glaring issue on our underperforming defense....in spite of having some pretty good raw talent and P5 transfers back there.

If those defensive woes continue, this puts Bohl is a position where he can no longer ride on the success of his defenses while fielding mediocre to bad offenses, and takes away his major redeeming quality. It's one thing to have terrible offenses while having some of the best defenses in the entire conference (and, in some categories, the entire nation). But when you no longer have that to fall back on, you've failed as a head coach.

The closest comparison that I can give you is Iowa, where Kirk Ferentz...one of the (if not THE) most respected and successful coaches in Iowa history, is finally on the hotseat over how absolutely horrific his offenses are. But he still has a defense that's top 5 in the entire nation. Craig Bohl does not.

Add that to the fact that Bohl is not getting any younger, and it's starting to show. He's looked more exasperated, unable to fix things or come up with solutions, and in general more drained the last couple of years than we've ever seen him. And this is just a fact of life....all coaches reach the end of their capabilities eventually (unless you're Darth Vader...err....Nick Saban).

And perhaps what makes it worse is his absolute stubbornness over it. Craig Bohl is not going to change. He is who and what he is.

Anyway...Craig Bohl got lucky with a generational, freak of an athlete in Josh Allen....and almost stunted his development into oblivion anyway (see: 2017). 2016 was lightning in a bottle, and I think we all know it at this point. (And even then, that season fell well short of what it could/should have been).

We've seen that it's possible to have good defenses in Laramie. We've seen that it's possible to have good offenses in Laramie. We know, even if only due to elevation...that it's possible to have good special teams in Laramie. And Craig Bohl has been just barely on the cusp of putting all three together a few times; it's not like we're that far off.

I firmly believe that we can find a younger, more flexible coach to get us just that little bit extra (I mean hell, even just an extra win or two and we're playing for a championship most years). Especially if they can come in sooner rather than later and build upon the very solid foundation that Bohl has built, rather than having to perform a complete rebuild a la 2014/2015. Even if you get someone in the same mold as Bohl (successful/dominant FCS coach who specializes in defense and ST and is a decent recruiter), but is younger and is more flexible offensively with less loyalty to underperforming staff. (Yes, this is where I point everyone to Jay Hill again, lol.)
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 am

I don't think the question is whether or not to bury the program....It is "what is the ceiling of the program?".

What if the ceiling for Wyoming football in the modern era is somewhere below ever appearing in a New Year's bowl game? Or, as Ragtime pointed out, will we ever win a conference title as long as BSU, SDSU and other top half current MWC programs are in the conference? Are we being unrealistic by expecting more? I hope not but I can't just call it a dumb question. I don't see an obvious way forward. In the future, any great player talent will not stay long. Any great coach will, at best, be here for one great season and bolt but, more likely, bypass Wyoming entirely.

It annoys the crap out of me that we have been average at best for my entire adult life but maybe I shouldn't be annoyed at all. It's like, at a certain point most people who play sports accept that they will never earn a dime by playing the sport they love...they get a degree or learn a trade and move on with their life. They can still go down and mix it up at open gym or play some pick-up games....but it's not the focus. Is Wyoming football like the guy who peaked in high school sports and can never move on? Perhaps the investment was always throwing money down the drain and the stuff that limited Wyoming was never about the $$$.
Thanks for those thoughts, I happen to agree with many of them,

But here's yet another question to consider: There are some very astute people who visit this board and post on this board which is why I've been reading it for years before I joined and was immediately labeled a "BYU plant"because I favor playing BYU as many times as they'll agree to meet us on the playing field. But here's something to think about -> If many of us can point to the defects and flaws in Craig Bohl's system (offensively) then he surely is aware of this as well, right?

So what is it? Bohl has seen the evolution of the game offensively over the years as well as anyone here has. So why won't Bohl adjust??? This is a question that I guess only Craig Bohl can answer, that is, if anyone on the Wyoming beat will have the balls to ask him about this.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

IMO if you hire someone who's only trying to replicate what others are doing, you'll be behind the curve. Some schools rely on sheer talent. Wyoming really needs scheme and throwing someone in as OC who is running the plays he learned from his OC and trotting out an Offense that everyone is running isn't going to get it done.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:57 pm So what is it? Bohl has seen the evolution of the game offensively over the years as well as anyone here has. So why won't Bohl adjust??? This is a question that I guess only Craig Bohl can answer, that is, if anyone on the Wyoming beat will have the balls to ask him about this.
The question you pose is surprisingly complex. Doing something because "that's the way it's been done" is common in politics, sports, business, religion...... Really everywhere. Real innovation is difficult and risky. There are entire economic research projects that try to answer your general question.

Poke fans have answered your question by calling Bohl a coward or questioning his general intelligence .. neither of which explain anything in reality. We have been clamoring for Bohl to make changes to the offense while maintaining the quality of the defense/culture. I actually think it's likely that the above average defenses that Bohl has had are not only due to talent or developing talent but also to playing an offensive style that minimizes exposure to turnovers and TOP imbalances. This is very analogous to what AFA does. It is also sort of accepted wisdom that offense wins games and defense wins championships. My guess is that Bohl is doing his level best and it's not enough. To be fair to him...that is the category that 95% of college coaches find themselves in.

I realize I haven't answered your question..but there you go.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

FWIW...Head article on espn.com with the title and tagline:
"What's keeping Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies from taking the next step? Expectations were high at Texas A&M when Jimbo Fisher came aboard with a record contract. But the Aggies are just 11-6 since the start of 2021, thanks in large part to a stagnant offense"
It is not just Wyoming that is grappling with this stuff. Talented and smart people at all levels are trying to solve this puzzle.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:57 pm This is a question that I guess only Craig Bohl can answer, that is, if anyone on the Wyoming beat will have the balls to ask him about this.
They have. Multiple times over the last couple of years. Bohl always immediately hems and haws and then completely deflects.

In fact, that happened only a few weeks ago...Bohl was bluntly asked (I think by Tracy) if perhaps our offense isn't putting these guys in the best position for success, and I about jumped up and down screaming "thank God someone is calling him out on it again".

Bohl simply sidestepped and went on some rambling tangent describing what kind of offense we run, as if we don't know. I was floored by the blatant deflection.

He always straight up avoids discussion regarding the possibility that his preferred philosophy isn't working here or why that is (which, as I addressed fairly in-depth above, it doesn't and there's very specific reasons for that) or discussing changes that could be made.

He's also actually been adamant in past years that our general offensive philosophy isn't going to change.

You have to understand that Craig Bohl has spent the better part of 40 years in this system. Coaching in it, coaching against it, winning both FBS and FCS national championships with it. It's no wonder it's an absolute shock to him and he can't understand why it's not working here. It's quite possible that he doesn't realize any of this, and as I've mentioned before, I think he tends to surround himself with yes men and people from the very few places it does still work to a small extent (FCS, the B1G).
307bball wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:14 am FWIW...Head article on espn.com with the title and tagline:
"What's keeping Jimbo Fisher and the Aggies from taking the next step? Expectations were high at Texas A&M when Jimbo Fisher came aboard with a record contract. But the Aggies are just 11-6 since the start of 2021, thanks in large part to a stagnant offense"
It is not just Wyoming that is grappling with this stuff. Talented and smart people at all levels are trying to solve this puzzle.
Lol, A&M's situation is a bit different than Wyoming's; the two aren't directly comparable.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:23 am Lol, A&M's situation is a bit different than Wyoming's; the two aren't directly comparable.
Different situation...same overall problem though. A&M obviously brings a level of resources that we can't even dream of matching.

I'm just pointing out that this problem persists across all levels of CFB.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 am
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:23 am Lol, A&M's situation is a bit different than Wyoming's; the two aren't directly comparable.
Different situation...same overall problem though. A&M obviously brings a level of resources that we can't even dream of matching.

The thing is...Jimbo's got a lot of problems down there right now, but to his credit, shooting himself directly in the foot by running an antiquated offense that maybe 5 teams in all of FBS still run (and they're all largely on the decline, with coaches being fired or on the hot seat because of it) isn't one of them.

Wyoming has been in the bottom 10 in all of FBS in multiple offensive categories several times over the years, while playing a fairly mediocre to average level of competition. I refuse to give Bohl a pass just because "innovation is hard" and "other coaches struggle too".
307bball
WyoNation Addict

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:54 am
307bball wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 am

The thing is...Jimbo's got a lot of problems down there right now, but to his credit, shooting himself directly in the foot by running an antiquated offense that maybe 5 teams in all of FBS still run (and they're all largely on the decline, with coaches being fired or on the hot seat because of it) isn't one of them.

Wyoming has been in the bottom 10 in all of FBS in multiple offensive categories several times over the years, while playing a fairly mediocre to average level of competition. I refuse to give Bohl a pass just because "innovation is hard" and "other coaches struggle too".
Who is giving him a pass? I'm mostly pointing this out to get in front of the idea that this is trivial. The general problem that is faced by Wyoming, A&M, Nebraska, and plenty of other programs persists despite level of resource or competition. When programs make a "slam dunk" hire as the hire of Craig Bohl was characterized as or Jimbo Fisher or Scott Frost...and the results don't come...who get's the blame? I know that the coach will get fired at some point...and if you are at Wyoming, the coach can always make noises about how hard it is to recruit and whatever...but If places like Nebraska and A&M struggle with it ... it's a much deeper problem.

Maybe there are really only 20 or so legitimate guys that can get it done in the world and if you don't have one of them...you are out of luck. Maybe you would be more comfortable with a comparison to Boise State?...I don't think they will ever reach the heights the program enjoyed from about 2005 to 2015...and that fan base and administration will always be looking back at that period and wondering why they are unable to replicate it. Maybe I'm wrong in that prediction....but I doubt it.