Transfers...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 86 times

This has the feel of a culture issue. I know other schools get pummeled in the portal, but this is stupid.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Same story as last year...all 3 of these guys are from Texas. We need to STOP recruiting Texas HS players!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 am This has the feel of a culture issue. I know other schools get pummeled in the portal, but this is stupid.
Look at where the players transferring both last year and this year come from...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 am Same story as last year...all 3 of these guys are from Texas. We need to STOP recruiting Texas HS players!!
I would have to agree. They just don't seem to like it here. This is really, really discouraging.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Alrighty, let's keep track of all of this

Thus far we have:

Titus Swen (starting RB)
Josh Cobbs (starting WR)
Omotosho (starting DE)
Cam Stone (starting DB)

Off to a solid start to the day. I really don't be even care anymore. Last year was so gutting that nothing surprises me anymore. However, I'm seeing a trend here...stop offering Texas kids scholarships. Just get out of that state. They can't cut it here.
djm19
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:49 am Same story as last year...all 3 of these guys are from Texas. We need to STOP recruiting Texas HS players!!
You beat me to it. All four thus far are from Texas.

Levi Williams...Texas.
Neyor... Texas.
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

What if...? If the portal had been a thing in 2016, would Josh Allen have left the Cowboys for greener pastures and a bigger program? I like to think not, but we will never know. Bohl got him to the Cowboys and Josh seemed pretty committed to the team (how many guys coming back from injury would have played in a bowl game before their big draft shot - though it did give him a chance to show his game again).

The portal and NIL are going to kill this program. If we manage to recruit guys who show promise many of them will be wooed away by promises of bigger exposure, NIL money and whatever else will tempt them. It sucks and the NCAA doesn't care.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

MN_Poke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:56 pm What if...? If the portal had been a thing in 2016, would Josh Allen have left the Cowboys for greener pastures and a bigger program? I like to think not, but we will never know. Bohl got him to the Cowboys and Josh seemed pretty committed to the team (how many guys coming back from injury would have played in a bowl game before their big draft shot - though it did give him a chance to show his game again).

The portal and NIL are going to kill this program. If we manage to recruit guys who show promise many of them will be wooed away by promises of bigger exposure, NIL money and whatever else will tempt them. It sucks and the NCAA doesn't care.
It's not Josh at the end, deciding to play in that Bowl game that would be leaving...it would be the upside Josh that leaves before that season even began. Or the season before that (less likely). I'd like to think that to play for a team/coach represents something besides just how much you can make but that is an increasingly rare point of view.

This is going about how I and other doom and gloomers expected it to go. I had hoped that some of the more optimistic folks were right but it's not looking like it. The best we can hope for is that it hit's the rest of the conference equally. The days of being nationally relevant once in a while, are very likely loooong gone (to be honest...they probably have been gone for a while).
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

MN_Poke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:56 pm What if...? If the portal had been a thing in 2016, would Josh Allen have left the Cowboys for greener pastures and a bigger program? I like to think not, but we will never know. Bohl got him to the Cowboys and Josh seemed pretty committed to the team (how many guys coming back from injury would have played in a bowl game before their big draft shot - though it did give him a chance to show his game again).

Which is why the G5 should have formed an alternative to the NCAA and split off already. Settle the undiscovered country and challenge the empires...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Those that stay will be Champions, (WHEN in my lifetime?) Cowboy Tough at Medocre U, whatever....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

A G5 team that has an elite talent like Josh can be virtually assured that QB will enter the portal at some point. When certain programs are offering over a million dollars a year for a single player, it is a pretty easy call. An elite college player can ensure their financial future while in college and they would be crazy not to do that. I don't fault Neyor one bit for taking the money from Texas. The rest of these guys, only time will tell whether they made a bad decision or not (some will end up on the bench with no money to show for it at their new destination).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

laxwyo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:37 pm I’ll wager a guess. DQ and Osho. No info, just gut
1 out of 2 so far
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

djm19 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:54 am Alrighty, let's keep track of all of this

Thus far we have:

Titus Swen (starting RB)
Josh Cobbs (starting WR)
Omotosho (starting DE)
Cam Stone (starting DB)

Off to a solid start to the day. I really don't be even care anymore. Last year was so gutting that nothing surprises me anymore. However, I'm seeing a trend here...stop offering Texas kids scholarships. Just get out of that state. They can't cut it here.
Welcome to the FBS of the Gen Z "Me First" student athletes...

Titus Swen (starting RB) - Next man up.
Josh Cobbs (starting WR) - STONEFINGERS w/out speed, good riddance.
Omotosho (starting DE) - This one sucks to lose, but again, Texas (no wonder the recruiting coordinator is a goner)???
Cam Stone (starting DB) - Wouldn't likely start at any other MWC team, and the MWC sucks ass.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:24 pm

A G5 team that has an elite talent like Josh can be virtually assured that QB will enter the portal at some point. When certain programs are offering over a million dollars a year for a single player, it is a pretty easy call. An elite college player can ensure their financial future while in college and they would be crazy not to do that. I don't fault Neyor one bit for taking the money from Texas. The rest of these guys, only time will tell whether they made a bad decision or not (some will end up on the bench with no money to show for it at their new destination).
While it wasn't the portal that took him, we don't have to look too far back to see what occurred with Brett Smith. Someone talked him into declaring for the NFL draft when he probably would have been better off staying one more year in college. No combine invite, no draft spot, kicked around in the CFL for a while. Hopefully he made some $. If NIL had been a thing at that time he would have been gone, maybe even a year before he left.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:32 pm
djm19 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:54 am Alrighty, let's keep track of all of this

Thus far we have:

Titus Swen (starting RB)
Josh Cobbs (starting WR)
Omotosho (starting DE)
Cam Stone (starting DB)

Omotosho (starting DE) - This one sucks to lose, but again, Texas (no wonder the recruiting coordinator is a goner)???
Cam Stone (starting DB) - Wouldn't likely start at any other MWC team, and the MWC sucks A$$.
Agree about Swen and Cobbs. Whatever. Losing Omothosos freaking sucks. Stone is a solid player
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

I'm not happy about the transfers, either ... But it is a blood bath out there with starters leaving P5 programs left and right - it's not just Wyoming.

Let's see who (or if...) We get to replace these guys. I hope this coaching staff can adapt.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:36 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:32 pm

Cam Stone (starting DB) - Wouldn't likely start at any other MWC team, and the MWC sucks A$$.
Agree about Swen and Cobbs. Whatever. Losing Omothosos freaking sucks. Stone is a solid player
Stone had my respect for playing in that arm brace and battling even in the Fresno State game. Wish he and Omothoso would stay. The portal sucks. Not sure Wyoming will ever be much more than a prep school for late bloomers who after a year or 2 show themselves to be more talented than originally thought when they being recruited out of high school.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

It'll be interesting to see if Bohl hits the portal more this year to pick up players. Quite a few QB options; I haven't looked at all of them to know if there are any good options.

I'm withholding panic until the final scenario plays out.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:52 pm It'll be interesting to see if Bohl hits the portal more this year to pick up players. Quite a few QB options; I haven't looked at all of them to know if there are any good options.

:lol: That's laughable!! Bohl is a dinosaur and is not the right fit for the current CFB environment. We need someone that can relate to the players and utilize the portal. For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time. Like it or not, it's the way it is and we need someone that can learn how to benefit from it. Signing a QB from Snow Junior College is not utilizing the portal, and is not a transfer....
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:52 pm It'll be interesting to see if Bohl hits the portal more this year to pick up players. Quite a few QB options; I haven't looked at all of them to know if there are any good options.

:lol: That's laughable!! Bohl is a dinosaur and is not the right fit for the current CFB environment. We need someone that can relate to the players and utilize the portal. For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time. Like it or not, it's the way it is and we need someone that can learn how to benefit from it. Signing a QB from Snow Junior College is not utilizing the portal, and is not a transfer....
UW was decimated by transfers in year 1 of the portal and Bohl still ended up 5-3 in conference. Somehow that dinosaur figured out how to manage better than 5 other teams that weren't hit as hard by the portal.

I'll hold panic until I see how he handles it in year 2.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.