Transfers...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:30 pm
PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:15 pm

:lol: That's laughable!! Bohl is a dinosaur and is not the right fit for the current CFB environment. We need someone that can relate to the players and utilize the portal. For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time. Like it or not, it's the way it is and we need someone that can learn how to benefit from it. Signing a QB from Snow Junior College is not utilizing the portal, and is not a transfer....
UW was decimated by transfers in year 1 of the portal and Bohl still ended up 5-3 in conference. Somehow that dinosaur figured out how to manage better than 5 other teams that weren't hit as hard by the portal.

I'll hold panic until I see how he handles it in year 2.
Agreed.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:52 pm It'll be interesting to see if Bohl hits the portal more this year to pick up players. Quite a few QB options; I haven't looked at all of them to know if there are any good options.

I'm withholding panic until the final scenario plays out.
:lol: That's laughable!! Bohl is a dinosaur and is not the right fit for the current CFB environment. We need someone that can relate to the players and utilize the portal. For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time. Like it or not, it's the way it is and we need someone that can learn how to benefit from it. Signing a QB from Snow Junior College is not utilizing the portal, and is not a transfer....
Just because a transfer comes form a P5 school doesn't mean that they are good. If they were good, they probably wouldn't be transferring. I think we all realize now the overreaction to the basketball role player transfers.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

UW was decimated by transfers in year 1 of the portal and Bohl still ended up 5-3 in conference. Somehow that dinosaur figured out how to manage better than 5 other teams that weren't hit as hard by the portal.

I was surprised that we ended where we did, but I still think we're a lot closer to the bottom of the MW than the top. We benefited greatly from AF losing 40+ players to illness and USU being on their 4th string QB. I don't think this program can handle another mass exodus of transfers. Yeah we finished 2nd in the Mountain division, but I attribute that more to the MW being absolute poop this year and not great coaching. We got throttled by all teams with a pulse outside of Boise. Bohl can't continue to alienate players and have these high number of transfers, it's not sustainable.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:37 pm

Just because a transfer comes form a P5 school doesn't mean that they are good. If they were good, they probably wouldn't be transferring. I think we all realize now the overreaction to the basketball role player transfers.
True, but in the new landscape the cream of the crop G5 players are going to transfer to P5 programs and we are stuck with the guys that transfer down because they aren't good enough to play on P5 teams. After another 4-6 years of the transfer portal, the talent gap is going to be astronomical between G5 and P5. The G5 just needs to split and create their own division between FCS and P5.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 pm

I was surprised that we ended where we did, but I still think we're a lot closer to the bottom of the MW than the top. We benefited greatly from AF losing 40+ players to illness and USU being on their 4th string QB. I don't think this program can handle another mass exodus of transfers. Yeah we finished 2nd in the Mountain division, but I attribute that more to the MW being absolute [#]sh#t this year and not great coaching. We got throttled by all teams with a pulse outside of Boise. Bohl can't continue to alienate players and have these high number of transfers, it's not sustainable.
I felt like it was more matchup issues. Pretty polished passing attacks were kryptonite. Outside of that and a pretty solid Illinois team, this year's squad either won or were pretty competitive.

It's a new era in MWC football with transfers, and so far, Bohl did better than average compared to the rest of the MWC. I'm not sure why so many are bashing him on it?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 pm

I was surprised that we ended where we did, but I still think we're a lot closer to the bottom of the MW than the top. We benefited greatly from AF losing 40+ players to illness and USU being on their 4th string QB. I don't think this program can handle another mass exodus of transfers. Yeah we finished 2nd in the Mountain division, but I attribute that more to the MW being absolute [#]sh#t this year and not great coaching. We got throttled by all teams with a pulse outside of Boise. Bohl can't continue to alienate players and have these high number of transfers, it's not sustainable.
Meh, you make it sound like The Pokes had no loss of players throughout the season. They had significant players lost to injuries, in the games you mention. I don’t buy this argument as why Wyoming beat AFA or Utah St.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:37 pm

Ha ha was gonna say the same thing. The P5 is getting the WAYYYYYYYY better deal.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Not only that but I would amend PokeNer's assertion that "For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time." to "For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that was mis-evaluated or a headcase that's looking for playing time."

The talent going from P5 to G5 is not as good as the talent that is going the other direction. There will be a small handful of rare exceptions but you'd go broke banking on them. It will almost always be a net loss in talent in the portal for G5 schools. Forget the next Josh Allen...we will not even get the next Jay Stoner out of the Portal.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:11 pm

Not only that but I would amend PokeNer's assertion that "For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that's looking for playing time." to "For every player G5 teams lose to P5 teams, there's a P5 player that was mis-evaluated or a headcase that's looking for playing time."

The talent going from P5 to G5 is not as good as the talent that is going the other direction. There will be a small handful of rare exceptions but you'd go broke banking on them. It will almost always be a net loss in talent in the portal for G5 schools. Forget the next Josh Allen...we will not even get the next Jay Stoner out of the Portal.
Since we got a Peasley, I don't think it is unrealistic to think we can get somewhat better Peasley or Clemons or ???
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:17 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:11 pm

Since we got a Peasley, I don't think it is unrealistic to think we can get somewhat better Peasley or Clemons or ???
You are right...I'm probably exaggerating. Nonetheless...being better than Peasley or Clemons is a very low bar.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:17 pm

You are right...I'm probably exaggerating. Nonetheless...being better than Peasley or Clemons is a very low bar.
Low bar, yes, but it won't take much improvement in the passing game to have a pretty good year next year.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

Man, there sure are a lot of folks accepting mediocrity. I guess we've been mediocre (or worse) for so long, people are just accepting. Sure, Bohl out-performed expectations this year. He MASSIVELY under-performed last year, and has been completely opposed to any sort of adapting to the current landscape - whether that's on the offense or the transfer portal. IMO, he's under-performed every year outside of 2016. His stubbornness to adapt whatsoever on offense has cost this program opportunities to compete for titles (that he promised).

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see how this is sustainable. The MW programs that lost a ton of talent last year were primarily due to coaching changes (Hawaii, CSU, Nevada). Why did we have such a mass-exodus? Everyone can speculate, but I see a pattern of Bohl pushing these players away. While this probably wasn't as big of impact pre-portal, he has to adapt now. But he won't and if this continues, I see this program being in a worse state when he leaves then when he arrived. There are going to be transfers every year due to their talent and the opportunity to play at a P5 program, but what we are seeing isn't healthy. Say what you want about Swen and the perceived fight between him and Bohl, I know who most of the players are going to back in that situation, and it isn't Bohl.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:29 pm
307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:21 pm

Low bar, yes, but it won't take much improvement in the passing game to have a pretty good year next year.
True...true.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

PokeNer wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:33 pm Man, there sure are a lot of folks accepting mediocrity. I guess we've been mediocre (or worse) for so long, people are just accepting. Sure, Bohl out-performed expectations this year. He MASSIVELY under-performed last year, and has been completely opposed to any sort of adapting to the current landscape - whether that's on the offense or the transfer portal. IMO, he's under-performed every year outside of 2016. His stubbornness to adapt whatsoever on offense has cost this program opportunities to compete for titles (that he promised).

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see how this is sustainable. The MW programs that lost a ton of talent last year were primarily due to coaching changes (Hawaii, CSU, Nevada). Why did we have such a mass-exodus? Everyone can speculate, but I see a pattern of Bohl pushing these players away. While this probably wasn't as big of impact pre-portal, he has to adapt now. But he won't and if this continues, I see this program being in a worse state when he leaves then when he arrived. There are going to be transfers every year due to their talent and the opportunity to play at a P5 program, but what we are seeing isn't healthy. Say what you want about Swen and the perceived fight between him and Bohl, I know who most of the players are going to back in that situation, and it isn't Bohl.
Short memories and mediocrity go hand in glove. The track record is there for everyone to see, the locker room issues are attributable to a culture of resistance to change. I'd say Bohl got to seven wins despite his best efforts.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

G5 football = The Titanic

Transfers, strategy, locker room culture, NIL = deck chairs

No matter the combination of all of the variables that G5 coaches can control.... That ship is going down. How many weeks was an MWC team in the top 25 this year? It's going to get much worse....
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

307bball wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:59 pm G5 football = The Titanic

Transfers, strategy, locker room culture, NIL = deck chairs

No matter the combination of all of the variables that G5 coaches can control.... That ship is going down. How many weeks was an MWC team in the top 25 this year? It's going to get much worse....
While the ESPN bottom 10 rankings is somewhat tongue in cheek, the fact that 3 MWC teams were in the bottom 10 and 2 more on the "waiting list" is also telling. Several of those teams managed to hold down the top spot for part of the season.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

This is year 1 after the portal. Bohl exceeds expectations in his first year after the portal, but it doesn't count because other MWC didn't fare well resulting in a weak schedule. Bohl doesn't know how to adapt to the portal because he loses a bunch of players and only finishes 5-3 in conference. Though he overperformed his first year after being decimated by the portal, he clearly is too archaic to adjust to the portal.

Am I getting this right? Seriously, I'm confused here.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:11 pm This is year 1 after the portal. Bohl exceeds expectations in his first year after the portal, but it doesn't count because other MWC didn't fare well resulting in a weak schedule. Bohl doesn't know how to adapt to the portal because he loses a bunch of players and only finishes 5-3 in conference. Though he overperformed his first year after being decimated by the portal, he clearly is too archaic to adjust to the portal.

Am I getting this right? Seriously, I'm confused here.
Good one. I agree with the confusion.

The whole college football landscape reminds me of stories I’ve heard about Texas high school football back in the 1920’s. Rich oilmen would improve their local team by hiring the father of good players so they could transfer there. That’s how Midland and Odessa became high school powerhouses. NIL and the transfer portal are the modern equivalent.
wypoke
Buckaroo

Hey Wyovanian...your post regarding mediocrity is spot-on. I salute you!

Nick Saban, " Mediocre people hate high achievers, and high achievers hate mediocre people."
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Wyoming will be lucky to put any players into the NFL in the near future. Hell, maybe there’s more parity in everyone but the top 20 programs. Less talent but more parity. Is that what we saw in the MWC this year?
W-Y, Until I Die!