N.Iowa coach looked to Shyatt for defensive principals

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
CNPOKE
Buckaroo

Jacobson also sees similarities between his team and Wyoming on the defensive end. In fact, the Northern Iowa coach said he has looked to Larry Shyatt's program in Laramie the last couple of years to study its defensive principles and borrow strategies to implement into his own system.

"I had a lot more fun watching Wyoming," Jacobson said, "when I was trying to learn some stuff for our team than when I was watching them last night trying to get ready."

From the Denver Post......Interesting
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

CNPOKE wrote:Jacobson also sees similarities between his team and Wyoming on the defensive end. In fact, the Northern Iowa coach said he has looked to Larry Shyatt's program in Laramie the last couple of years to study its defensive principles and borrow strategies to implement into his own system.

"I had a lot more fun watching Wyoming," Jacobson said, "when I was trying to learn some stuff for our team than when I was watching them last night trying to get ready."

From the Denver Post......Interesting
Yeah he learned from Shyatt after he saw our defensive numbers. So basically Shyatt already knows what they are doing and will put in some tweaks. Shyatt knows how to attack that type of defense better than anyone since he is the one that installed it.

If you talk to the Florida fans they will tell you that Shyatt's defensive schemes are what helped them win those back to back national championships in 2006 and 2007 along with their great players of course. Shyatt is considered a very good defensive coach.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

this will be another nailbitter, hands down, they only thing although it's a new team they took down Kansas in 2010 so they aren't afraid of much neither....i think it's our turn to shine tho
TheCup
Ranch Hand

These two styles almost ensure a one-possession game going into the last minute.

I like our chances.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i thought the same thing, kinda like SDSU and us and we all know how that turned out...lol
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

TheCup wrote:These two styles almost ensure a one-possession game going into the last minute.

I like our chances.
I kinda disagree. Because of their reliance on the 3, if we put together a couple of good defensive possessions in the final 5 minutes, we might find ourselves up by 5 or 6 points heading into the final minute. Kind of similar to the 2nd half to the Boise game. Back and forth, then all of a sudden when they miss a 3 and we capitalize, it's game over.
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

It'll be interesting to see if their D is as good as advertised. regardless, we just beat donkey State, who was playing as good defense as anyone in MWC per Coach Shy, and SDSU, whose D is just freaking awesome. Seems like we should be ready to play yet another really good D. I doubt UNI has played a defense better than ours (maybe they have, but not more than once or twice this season); is their offense ready after a season of playing defenses like Fresno's or Nevada's?

If we have one of our patented offensive lapses, we're in trouble, so we have to play well. But it may come down to who plays long ball better. If so, I like our chances - solid D doesn't always win out over the 3 ball, but good D and our average offense should take us to the next round.

WYO by 6.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 595 times
Been liked: 238 times

nwpoke wrote:It'll be interesting to see if their D is as good as advertised. regardless, we just beat donkey State, who was playing as good defense as anyone in MWC per Coach Shy, and SDSU, whose D is just freaking awesome. Seems like we should be ready to play yet another really good D. I doubt UNI has played a defense better than ours (maybe they have, but not more than once or twice this season); is their offense ready after a season of playing defenses like Fresno's or Nevada's?

If we have one of our patented offensive lapses, we're in trouble, so we have to play well. But it may come down to who plays long ball better. If so, I like our chances - solid D doesn't always win out over the 3 ball, but good D and our average offense should take us to the next round.

WYO by 6.
You mean "when we have one of our patented offensive lapses". We're going to have one, we always do, but that doesn't mean we still can't win.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

My bad. Our guys have redefined "offensive lapse", I'm sorry to say. Most of our scoring droughts are routine, designed to keep us awake. Not quite sure where the dividing line is, and I'd just as soon not find out. :-)
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:
nwpoke wrote:It'll be interesting to see if their D is as good as advertised. regardless, we just beat donkey State, who was playing as good defense as anyone in MWC per Coach Shy, and SDSU, whose D is just freaking awesome. Seems like we should be ready to play yet another really good D. I doubt UNI has played a defense better than ours (maybe they have, but not more than once or twice this season); is their offense ready after a season of playing defenses like Fresno's or Nevada's?

WYO by 6.
You mean "when we have one of our patented offensive lapses". We're going to have one, we always do, but that doesn't mean we still can't win.
We can't afford to have an offensive lapse on the scale of the MW title game though. 10 minutes without a point is rough. UNI won't let us get away with that kind of a slump.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand

"We can't afford to have an offensive lapse on the scale of the MW title game though. 10 minutes without a point is rough. UNI won't let us get away with that kind of a slump."

Agreed.

I was just thinking (duh), with the way Adams is playing, how are they going to double team him and LN? Do they sag and pack the paint and dare us to shoot the 3? Seems like that if they do that, we'll either be left alone for long and mid-range shots, or they'll try to guard one-on-one on the perimeter, which is Adams' game. What am I missing here?
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Ben Jacobson is a smart coach. We're going to have our work cut out for us. They'll take our best game of the year to beat.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.