WYO @ SJSU

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:You think Josh Adams is a ball hog and are looking forward to him being gone? Yikes buddy. I dread next year even more than this year. Adams will be and already is an all time great at Wyoming. He could put himself easily in the conversation for the top 5 or so guards to ever play at Wyoming really. Next year is going to be really rough without him.
Agree with everything except your comment on next year. Yes, we lose our best player, but get everyone back with a year of experience. We also get to see Austin Conway (top ranked recruit last year and one of the top in the MWC) as well as Moemeka.

There were times last night when the team looked very good without Adams.

This just my opinion....but normally when you return over 90% of your team, you should expect to be better.

Go Pokes!!
Agree with this.

Next years team will be a lot better top to bottom than this years team. :thumb:

Edit: Also last night when Wyoming started coming back Adams was not in the game. Not saying we don't need him this year because we do for sure but just shows that next year there will be plenty of talent to have this team winning plenty of games.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

He follows San Jose State, FFS. Nobody associated with that university knows anything about basketball. Do you suggest we suspend him indefinitely and replace him with football players like your school did, Mike?

Also, do you guys count the 5 spartans painted on the court towards your announced attendance?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Unrelated, but, Trey needs to be more aggressive. He actually can beat his guy off the dribble and dish to the open man. He made a couple floaters that were nice. Never seen that from him before. If he's not going to drive and be aggressive then he needs to sit.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:Unrelated, but, Trey needs to be more aggressive. He actually can beat his guy off the dribble and dish to the open man. He made a couple floaters that were nice. Never seen that from him before. If he's not going to drive and be aggressive then he needs to sit.
I agree with this completely. I was actually impressed with Trey last night and he was the only one to finish around the rim. He does need to do more of that cuz when he drove good things happened.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

And Josh is anything but a ballhog. If he had been a little more of a ball hog we might have won that game. There were several times he drove and it looked like he had a easy-ish(for Josh Adams) shot but kicked it out for a three and we either missed or it was picked off for a turnover. Josh is a legend. Last night was just a rough one.
WilyWapiti
Ranch Hand

I'm glad you guys are all quick to defend Adams. He is certainly no ball hog (assist leader), our best defender, ball-handler, hell, probably drives the bus, too.

Josh is being asked to do a lot this year, and for the most part, has answered the bell admirably. All while being a good teammate. Every time I get to watch him play this year, I'm going to count my blessings, and hope to see him in the NBA next year! I don't remember ever seeing a player play harder night-in, night-out.

I think he is going to be a force at the next level. Defenses won't be able to collapse on him the way they are now, and I don't think there are many players that can handle his first step.

WW
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

seattlecowboy wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:
calpoke25 wrote:You think Josh Adams is a ball hog and are looking forward to him being gone? Yikes buddy. I dread next year even more than this year. Adams will be and already is an all time great at Wyoming. He could put himself easily in the conversation for the top 5 or so guards to ever play at Wyoming really. Next year is going to be really rough without him.
Agree with everything except your comment on next year. Yes, we lose our best player, but get everyone back with a year of experience. We also get to see Austin Conway (top ranked recruit last year and one of the top in the MWC) as well as Moemeka.

This just my opinion....but normally when you return over 90% of your team, you should expect to be better.

Go Pokes!!
Agree with this.

Next years team will be a lot better top to bottom than this years team. :thumb:

Edit: Also last night when Wyoming started coming back Adams was not in the game. Not saying we don't need him this year because we do for sure but just shows that next year there will be plenty of talent to have this team winning plenty of games.
This is all I was trying to say. I think the team can be really good if given the opportunity for those young guys to get all the experience they can and the more chance they have to play with the ball and each other, the better they will be moving forward. As a student here for the next couple years here I want to see the team do well.
Last edited by Spartanmike15 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spartanmike15
Buckaroo

cali2wyo wrote:He follows San Jose State, FFS. Nobody associated with that university knows anything about basketball. Do you suggest we suspend him indefinitely and replace him with football players like your school did, Mike?

Also, do you guys count the 5 spartans painted on the court towards your announced attendance?
It's not like you have a whole lot of room to talk crap on San Jose State considering both Wyoming teams lost to them last night. Wyoming also got more money from them because they went to and won a bowl game this year unlike Wyoming.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Spartanmike15 wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:He follows San Jose State, FFS. Nobody associated with that university knows anything about basketball. Do you suggest we suspend him indefinitely and replace him with football players like your school did, Mike?

It's not like you have a whole lot of room to talk crap on San Jose State considering both Wyoming teams lost to them last night. Wyoming also got more money from them because they went to and won a bowl game this year unlike Wyoming.
You're right, congrats on your 5 win football regular season. You guys are a really solid institution all-around. So do you think a lack of football players on our basketball team is what is holding us back from reaching your level? Maybe we should paint some cartoon-ish cowboys on our home court to boost attendance numbers?
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Spartanmike15 wrote:

What is the series record in basketball? Maybe you should lay low considering that is the first MWC game your team has won.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Alright guys let's lay off Spartanmike, it is his first year in Laramie and he goes to school here and he is a fan of Wyoming after San Jose. I don't think he was trying to mean anything bad. He clarified what he was trying to say :thumb: :twocents:

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

Go Pokes!!
Agree with this.

I don't know about next year. I have a bad feeling at the moment. Did they play OK for a limited stretch last night against an RPI 330 team without Adams? yes. We have a class of 6 sophomores and none of them look like they have taken any significant steps forward. Lieberman shoots well once every 10 games, Trey gets a few steals, Herndon wakes up every couple of games, Barnes is regressing if anything, Gorski hits a few threes from time to time and DAlton is Dalton. So we will be relying on JMac and JJ, and my feelings about JMacs ceiling are well documented. If he is one of our top 2 players I don't have a good feeling. If Coach would let Marshall play some maybe we could get a better picture of where he stands but obviously he's not going to get that.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

calpoke25 wrote:
seattlecowboy wrote:
JimmyDimes wrote:

Go Pokes!!
Agree with this.

I don't know about next year. I have a bad feeling at the moment. Did they play OK for a limited stretch last night against an RPI 330 team without Adams? yes. We have a class of 6 sophomores and none of them look like they have taken any significant steps forward. Lieberman shoots well once every 10 games, Trey gets a few steals, Herndon wakes up every couple of games, Barnes is regressing if anything, Gorski hits a few threes from time to time and DAlton is Dalton. So we will be relying on JMac and JJ, and my feelings about JMacs ceiling are well documented. If he is one of our top 2 players I don't have a good feeling. If Coach would let Marshall play some maybe we could get a better picture of where he stands but obviously he's not going to get that.
Herndon was the leading scorer last night and was perfect from the field and free throw line. Gorski's game has certainly improved. James is a player who has the ability to score when he wants. Naughton is improving each game and has a toughness about him.....he will be a very good player in the near future The others have shown signs of improvement as well. Give Dalton some protein shakes and see what happens. He is green, but has potential.

Aside from Herndon and Lieberman to a certain extent, most of these guys didn't get much PT last year. Give them the rest of the conference to improve as well as the off season. McM has improved a great deal from his sophomore to his junior season. Austin Conway will be the fastest player in the league next year and Moemeka will add more depth...but not sure what to expect out of him except he should be a defensive stopper.

I like the make-up of the team....and expect improvement.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

I've stated that Adams needs less minutes. He can change a game, but not when he's exhausted. So in close games, Shyatt could hold him out for four or five minutes before the, say, four minute mark. Then he goes in somewhat refreshed and not make three turnovers in three straight possessions.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

My only hope for Marshall is that they are somehow going to magically pull a medical redshirt out of the air for him, and that's why he isn't playing this year. Who knows.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

FarmerPoke wrote:My only hope for Marshall is that they are somehow going to magically pull a medical redshirt out of the air for him, and that's why he isn't playing this year. Who knows.
I have heard this twice now from people on campus. Apparently the thought is he will still qualify for a medical hardship red shirt. I have no idea where these two got the info or if it is credible, but it may shed some light on why he isn't seeing time. I cannot believe his D is so inferior it outweighs he's offensive ability to the point he is a liability. There a couple of guys who play (and start) who are not great defenders and offer nothing from the offensive end. Marshall has to be sitting for another reason.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
FarmerPoke wrote:My only hope for Marshall is that they are somehow going to magically pull a medical redshirt out of the air for him, and that's why he isn't playing this year. Who knows.
I have heard this twice now from people on campus. Apparently the thought is he will still qualify for a medical hardship red shirt. I have no idea where these two got the info or if it is credible, but it may shed some light on why he isn't seeing time. I cannot believe his D is so inferior it outweighs he's offensive ability to the point he is a liability. There a couple of guys who play (and start) who are not great defenders and offer nothing from the offensive end. Marshall has to be sitting for another reason.
Agreed, possible medical redshirt is the only plausible explanation that would seem to explain the inexplicable. I don't know at all what the criteria are for it, but if it's indeed the case, that would be very cool to have someone of Marshall's athletic ability for 2 more years.

At least this scenario makes alot more sense than him simply not being good enough, because if that's the case, then what a gigantic waste of a scholarship by Shyatt and co.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote:
For Marshall to get a medical redshirt he can't play anymore this season obviously but they also have to show that his "condition" whatever it is (foot or ankle?) I guess is making it so he can't play. Not sure how they prove this or show it. Maybe with doctors.... but it they can show his foot will not allow him to play then he can receive a medical redshirt . That is my understanding of how it works. It would be great if he could get one . Maybe one of the other guys who knows exactly how the medical redshirt works can give a better description on it.

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

In order to be eligible for a medical hardship waiver (redshirt), there are a few criteria that must be met. If any one of the following is not met, they can always apply but the odds of them getting the waiver are extremely low.

1) The athlete must have a season-ending injury as documented by a medical doctor. This is actually fairly easy. You basically just have to have a doctor (preferably the team doctor) write and sign a note saying something to the effect: Johnny suffered a knee injury that ended his season. Doesn't need to be very detailed. The NCAA may request more information, but sometimes this is sufficient.

2) The athlete must not have played in greater than 3 contests or 30% (whichever is larger) of the scheduled games for his sport's season. Wyoming has 2 exhibition and 30 regular season games and then the MWC tournament. I am not sure if tournament games are factored in to this calculation, but I believe that exhibition games are; with that in mind 30% of 32 is 9.6, that rounds up to 10. If you play in 11 games, you are not eligible.

**Note: in Division II, the percentage is 20%.

3) The injury must occur in the first half of the athlete's season. This sounds fairly rudimentary, but it can happen. Example: player X is a freshman that is going to redshirt. Due to an injured starter, player X plays in the 20th game of the season, thus burning his redshirt year. In game 21, he gets hurt and can't play any longer. In this situation, even though he played in far less than 30% of the scheduled games, he would NOT be eligible for a hardship waiver.

This rule was basically put in place for baseball pitchers. A starting pitcher only throws 1 out of every 4 games, so his 30% mark would be at the end of the season, if ever.

Those are the 3 big requirements for a medical hardship waiver. Once the season is over, the sports medicine and compliance departments will assemble all the required documentation and send it to the NCAA for approval. If an athlete meets all 3 criteria, there is a good chance their waiver will be approved.
FarmerPoke
Cowpoke

Thanks for the clarification WestWYOPoke! It sure would be nice if that is indeed the case with Marshall.