Wyoming Ranked #11

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyoming is ranked #11 in Intermat’s dual team wrestling rankings. This ranking speaks to the overall quality of the team (versus the tournament ranking which is a bit more individually influenced). This is an amazing accomplishment and I would tend to believe it is Wyoming’s best ever dual ranking.

Congrats Branch and team, keep it up!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

I should also add that Wyoming is unranked in the tournament team rankings in intermat. Hopefully the team has a chip on its shoulder and proves intermat wrong by securing many qualifiers and multiple AA.
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

They should sweep the rest of their schedule, possibly securing a top 10 ranking. I can see possibly 6 to 7 guys pushing into the NCAAs
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:41 pm I should also add that Wyoming is unranked in the tournament team rankings in intermat. Hopefully the team has a chip on its shoulder and proves intermat wrong by securing many qualifiers and multiple AA.
I noticed this too. Most of our guys are like 12-20th best in the country. It's pretty remarkable when you consider it.

I think that some of our younger guys are coming around and will surprise come tournament time. Hastings at 174, Samuelson and 184, Davidson at 197 and Andrews (not a Fr, but a new comer) at HWT will come on strong to end the season. I think Intermat hates Andrews, they still don't have him ranked.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

What hurt Andrews in the ranking is his loss to the Cornell HWT in Ft Lauderdale. That is a match he typically wins. Davidson had #4 Caywood locked up in a win also, but a late stall call hurt him.

I usually watch Flowrestling rankings more since they cover Wyoming a ton. Wyoming should win out in duals. I am interested to see what happens at 157. Loveless (R-Fr) started the last two matches after cuttign to 149 to compete with Jensen at 149. Samuelson is going to be a monster at 184. Verner could also easily be a Top-10 wrestler and Montorie is coming on strong again.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming moves up to #8 this week in the dual rankings :o !!

Honestly, this ranking is incorrect in my opinion. Wyoming jumped Nebraska and Cornell this week in the rankings and that makes ZERO sense. How does a relatively close win over unranked Oregon State move Wyoming ahead of teams that already beat Wyoming?

Wyoming still not ranked in the tournament rankings.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Yeah not sure how intermat ranked them that high, but coaches have them sitting at 12. I did see a ranking that had Wyoming has the #23 tourney team. If they could be consistent they would be a handful in the Big XII.
Anyone have any insight on why Dewey is struggling so much lately?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 am Anyone have any insight on why Dewey is struggling so much lately?
No idea but he has to be taken out of the lineup at this point I would think. Personally, his style of wrestling is better suited at heavier weights IMO. I don't know how much he cuts to 157 but it doesn't appear to be his ideal weight. I'd move him to 174 and let him compete with Hastings for the rest of the year. Ashworth will be gone next year and maybe he will fit in better at 165.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I think Hastings will be the 165 next year with Moody and Randles battling it out at 174.
Dewey wrestled 157 in High School so not sure why he wrestles at that weight. It’s between him or Loveless at 157.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

How many D1 wrestling schools are there? Is this equivalent to being top 25 in football or top 50 in basketball? Good to see a sport gaining success. I see tweets and such calling us a wrestling school but it is likely that the worst basketball team ever out draws wrestling for per game/dual attendance .
aranderson
Cowpoke

marcuswyo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:54 pm How many D1 wrestling schools are there? Is this equivalent to being top 25 in football or top 50 in basketball? Good to see a sport gaining success. I see tweets and such calling us a wrestling school but it is likely that the worst basketball team ever out draws wrestling for per game/dual attendance .
There are 80 schools with wrestling teams in Division 1. There are two that recently shut down their wrestling programs being Oregon and Boise State.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

4 teams just announced they would bring wrestling. Boise State is losing money not having a team anymore
aranderson
Cowpoke

Vapoke wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm 4 teams just announced they would bring wrestling. Boise State is losing money not having a team anymore
I also forgot Eastern Michigan dropped their program after last year as well. But Arkansas Little Rock is adding there program as well is an LIU school, but that's two of the four. Can't remember the other two off the top of my head. Drake is considering however.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

aranderson wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:57 am
Vapoke wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm 4 teams just announced they would bring wrestling. Boise State is losing money not having a team anymore
I also forgot Eastern Michigan dropped their program after last year as well. But Arkansas Little Rock is adding there program as well is an LIU school, but that's two of the four. Can't remember the other two off the top of my head. Drake is considering however.
Fresno restarted their program just last year and is already seeing some success.