Seth Gross

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Seth Gross is transferring from South Dakota St. Wonder if we'll try to get him? He certainly has his choice of any place, since everywhere would want him.
We already have really tough 133 and 141, so there would have to be some shuffling.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:49 pm Seth Gross is transferring from South Dakota St. Wonder if we'll try to get him? He certainly has his choice of any place, since everywhere would want him.
We already have really tough 133 and 141, so there would have to be some shuffling.
Was he given a medical redshirt? Otherwise his wrestling career is done.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

If he does transfer, Wisconsin is the heavy favorite considering his former coach is there. I’m pretty sure Iowa is out of the question as Brands kicked him off the team there previously.
303cowboy
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:25 am If he does transfer, Wisconsin is the heavy favorite considering his former coach is there. I’m pretty sure Iowa is out of the question as Brands kicked him off the team there previously.
Yeah that's got to be where he's headed. I heard him and Brands made up, but still don't see him going back to Iowa
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Gross only wrestled 1 match this season, so I have to imagine he would be eligible for a medical waiver.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

Right, I think him coming here is a long shot, just kinda fun to think about. The only thing we really have for him is the chance to have Bryce around to make each other better, along with Teyon Ware to help them make the transition to freestyle.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

I don't think Branch is very high on transfers with only one year. Lombardo was a different story since Wyoming had no idea what they had at 174-197, and Anthony had already graduated and expended his eligibilty at Binghampton

Hypothetical Options:

Seth comes in at 133. You move Montorie to 125, and leave Verner out in the cold for his Senior season.

Seth comes in at 141. You move Turner up to 149. Sam has had a much better season at 141 vice 149 and even says he would rather wrestle at 141. Last year was a different story since Bryce was around. Sam doesn't get comfortable wrestling and what does that do for his confidence.

I am more than for giving someone a second chance like SDSU and coach Bono did. His crimes at Iowa were pretty bad, but shouldn't reflect Coach Brands or Iowa. My point is SDSU took a chance on a kid with a "checkered" background, and now it looks like he is abandoning them. Everyone can say well the coach left, but in my opinion Seth still owes SDSU something for allowing him into college.
If this is a true education opportunity then I am all for it, but my guess he will end up at Wisconsin or PSU, and really wouldn't want to see him in the Brown and Gold for one season.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 am I don't think Branch is very high on transfers with only one year. Lombardo was a different story since Wyoming had no idea what they had at 174-197, and Anthony had already graduated and expended his eligibilty at Binghampton

Hypothetical Options:

Seth comes in at 133. You move Montorie to 125, and leave Verner out in the cold for his Senior season.

Seth comes in at 141. You move Turner up to 149. Sam has had a much better season at 141 vice 149 and even says he would rather wrestle at 141. Last year was a different story since Bryce was around. Sam doesn't get comfortable wrestling and what does that do for his confidence.

I am more than for giving someone a second chance like SDSU and coach Bono did. His crimes at Iowa were pretty bad, but shouldn't reflect Coach Brands or Iowa. My point is SDSU took a chance on a kid with a "checkered" background, and now it looks like he is abandoning them. Everyone can say well the coach left, but in my opinion Seth still owes SDSU something for allowing him into college.
If this is a true education opportunity then I am all for it, but my guess he will end up at Wisconsin or PSU, and really wouldn't want to see him in the Brown and Gold for one season.
As you indicate, it is extremely unlikely that Gross transfers to Wyoming. I tend to think he is going to Wisconsin to compete for a year and to eventually become a member of Bono's coaching staff.

That said, no way Bridges goes to 125. He looks way too big. If anything, I could actually see both Bridges and Turner moving up to 141 and 149 next year if Wyoming were to bring in a stud 133 pounder.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

What led to him being kicked out of Iowa?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Vapoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 am I am more than for giving someone a second chance like SDSU and coach Bono did. His crimes at Iowa were pretty bad, but shouldn't reflect Coach Brands or Iowa. My point is SDSU took a chance on a kid with a "checkered" background, and now it looks like he is abandoning them. Everyone can say well the coach left, but in my opinion Seth still owes SDSU something for allowing him into college.
SDSU absolutely gave him a chance when most wouldn't. I would say that Gross gave something back as he won their first ever D1 National Championship. I am also assuming that Gross is getting his degree in May after 5 years of college. I think he should stick it out at SDSU too; however, I can't fault a guy if he is looking to transfer after graduating to improve his career prospects (i.e. a coaching staff position).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:43 am What led to him being kicked out of Iowa?
Got drunk and went on a stealing spree with a group of other friends/wrestlers.

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/5 ... resh-start
303cowboy
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:46 am
Vapoke wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 am I am more than for giving someone a second chance like SDSU and coach Bono did. His crimes at Iowa were pretty bad, but shouldn't reflect Coach Brands or Iowa. My point is SDSU took a chance on a kid with a "checkered" background, and now it looks like he is abandoning them. Everyone can say well the coach left, but in my opinion Seth still owes SDSU something for allowing him into college.
SDSU absolutely gave him a chance when most wouldn't. I would say that Gross gave something back as he won their first ever D1 National Championship. I am also assuming that Gross is getting his degree in May after 5 years of college. I think he should stick it out at SDSU too; however, I can't fault a guy if he is looking to transfer after graduating to improve his career prospects (i.e. a coaching staff position).
Did SDSU give him a chance or did Bono? I don't fault him one bit for following his coach.
Vapoke
Cowpoke

Both. SDSU had to allow him in school with an investigation ongoing. If he ends up at Wisconsin then I would be fine with it, but anywhere besides there (unless education is tied to it) I would be disappointed.