Wyoming at San Jose St

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

What's going thru Burman's mind:

"Hey. We won a conference game! On the road no less! Hey. We're better than expected! Hey. I guess there's no reason to get rid of Edwards"
andersonj
Buckaroo

POKE FAN wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:07 pm 1-15 (6.7%) from three at the half. Pathetic.

I never cease shaking my head at how poorly Hunter Thompson has been developed and utilized by this staff.

On the bright side, only one more month, or so, until we find out who Tommy Burman's
next MBB experiment is!
You can't blame lack of development on coaching alone. The player has a lot to do with how they develop, because they have to have desire, a work ethic and be coachable. I won't blame Thompson for not having those qualities, but they are requisites, too.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

Good seeing the Pokes pick up a win. Hope its not the last this season
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 am Good seeing the Pokes pick up a win. Hope its not the last this season
I ask this with all sincerity: Why do you hope it's not the last win of the season? Will you feel better about the program if we finish 2-16 in the MW instead of 1-17? Do you realize we shot 5-26 from 3 on Saturday? What other team in the conference could we do that against and not get blown out? I will respectfully say that the only way this team wins another game is if the opposing team takes us for granted and then has a flu bug infect the team. The only thing any Wyoming fan should be rooting for is either a new coach or a new AD. Preferably both.
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

andersonj wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:45 am
POKE FAN wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:07 pm 1-15 (6.7%) from three at the half. Pathetic.

I never cease shaking my head at how poorly Hunter Thompson has been developed and utilized by this staff.

On the bright side, only one more month, or so, until we find out who Tommy Burman's
next MBB experiment is!
You can't blame lack of development on coaching alone. The player has a lot to do with how they develop, because they have to have desire, a work ethic and be coachable. I won't blame Thompson for not having those qualities, but they are requisites, too.
Are you happy with Thompson, at 6'10", spending most of his time on the offensive end hanging out on the perimeter? I'm sure Hunter is working as hard as he can to improve within Edwards' "system", but he could be better utilized with his back to the basket, on the blocks, more often. Almost 60% of Thompson's shots right now are from the arc (where he's hitting an uninspiring 30%). I'm sure Brandenburg (the best coach Wyoming has seen) would utilize Hunter in a much different manner, offensively, than Edwards does. Brandy would also have done a MUCH BETTER job working on Hunter's footwork when backing down and/or being doubled down low when he is in the paint. Same applies for defensive footwork.

I refuse to believe that schools like Creighton, Colorado and UNM missed on their evaluations of this kid when they offered. Yes, I think Hunter has been poorly utilized/developed and I think he has lost some confidence in his game because of it.

Can't wait for this show to end. Maybe we can rename the AA "Burman's Sacred Burial Grounds" until things turn around.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

POKE FAN wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm

next MBB experiment is!
Are you happy with Thompson, at 6'10", spending most of his time on the offensive end hanging out on the perimeter? I'm sure Hunter is working as hard as he can to improve within Edwards' "system", but he could be better utilized with his back to the basket, on the blocks, more often. Almost 60% of Thompson's shots right now are from the arc (where he's hitting an uninspiring 30%). I'm sure Brandenburg (the best coach Wyoming has seen) would utilize Hunter in a much different manner, offensively, than Edwards does. Brandy would also have done a MUCH BETTER job working on Hunter's footwork when backing down and/or being doubled down low when he is in the paint. Same applies for defensive footwork.

I refuse to believe that schools like Creighton, Colorado and UNM missed on their evaluations of this kid when they offered. Yes, I think Hunter has been poorly utilized/developed and I think he has lost some confidence in his game because of it.

Can't wait for this show to end. Maybe we can rename the AA "Burman's Sacred Burial Grounds" until things turn around.
Schools miss on kids all the time. That's the way recruiting works. You can blame Edwards and staff all you want. The fact is, he's the tallest kid I've seen who can go game after game without a single rebound.
And let's not make Brandenburg out to be some miracle worker. As great as he was, he had many bigs who turned out to be absolute stiffs. For every Eric Lechner and Bill Garnett, there was a Dave Lodgins or other big body who rode the pine.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 pm
ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:54 am Good seeing the Pokes pick up a win. Hope its not the last this season
I ask this with all sincerity: Why do you hope it's not the last win of the season? Will you feel better about the program if we finish 2-16 in the MW instead of 1-17? Do you realize we shot 5-26 from 3 on Saturday? What other team in the conference could we do that against and not get blown out? I will respectfully say that the only way this team wins another game is if the opposing team takes us for granted and then has a flu bug infect the team. The only thing any Wyoming fan should be rooting for is either a new coach or a new AD. Preferably both.
Because he's a Cowboy fan and would rather his team win than lose? Just a wag
POKE FAN
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:32 pm
POKE FAN wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm

next MBB experiment is!

Schools miss on kids all the time. That's the way recruiting works. You can blame Edwards and staff all you want. The fact is, he's the tallest kid I've seen who can go game after game without a single rebound.
And let's not make Brandenburg out to be some miracle worker. As great as he was, he had many bigs who turned out to be absolute stiffs. For every Eric Lechner and Bill Garnett, there was a Dave Lodgins or other big body who rode the pine.
Schools miss on kids all the time. Especially 3- and 4-star rated kids like Thompson who participated in Top 100 camps, going up against some of the nation's top high school bigs. Hunter held his own in these camps, by all accounts, including outplaying a kid who was considered to be the top HS center in the country. I guess that's why Creighton (currently ranked), Colorado (currently ranked), Nevada (if true, had Musselman as coach), UNM and Utah State took a "flyer" on Thompson, along with Wyoming. Right?

You say he goes "game after game without a single rebound". Yet, he's 2nd on the team in rebounding, in spite of being out of position (coaching related) in too many instances. That's corrected with good coaching. Hunter should be a helluva lot more aggressive on the boards and more fundamentally sound with his footwork at this point on the defensive end than he is (at times). Coaching related. I'd also like to point out that Hunter has 19 assists in 22 games. Nineteen! That's ridiculous! It shows me how poorly utilized he is on the floor as a 6'10" big.

Yes, Brandenburg was a great coach. That's why he won 23-24 games in a season four times in Laramie. And who knows how many games Brandy's team would have won in '87-'88 had he stayed at Wyoming. Flippin' Benny Dees' squad won 26 that year and the guy was an Xs and Os lamebrain.

Brandenburg's recruiting was spotty (hit and miss) at times, but his talented post players, like Leckner, Engler and Garnett, shined under Coach B's leadership. Those three were all polished post players by the time they left Laramie. Talent-wise, don't mistake guys like Lodgins or Thesenvitz as anything but role players.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:20 pm
Are you seriously asking me why I, as a born and bred die hard cowboy fan, hope that wasn't the last win of the season? Why do you think?