Back to the topic at hand....

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Who do you want as the next WYO BB coach? I don't have a slam dunk pick, but am an advocate of bringing back Steve McClain. If for nothing else, who was in charge the last time we were dominant in a much stronger league?
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 7 times

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:56 pm Who do you want as the next WYO BB coach? I don't have a slam dunk pick, but am an advocate of bringing back Steve McClain. If for nothing else, who was in charge the last time we were dominant in a much stronger league?
I don't think Steve would even consider coming back. After all, wasn't it Tommy Boy who fired him?
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

CowboyNV wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:07 pm
PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:56 pm Who do you want as the next WYO BB coach? I don't have a slam dunk pick, but am an advocate of bringing back Steve McClain. If for nothing else, who was in charge the last time we were dominant in a much stronger league?
I don't think Steve would even consider coming back. After all, wasn't it Tommy Boy who fired him?
Steve did pull some shenanigans during his run, so nobody is innocent during that time, but i do think that we could get the most hated coach in the MWC back with minimal commitment. Say what you want about "Rat Boy", but he did bring guys in and won.
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

PokeTransplant wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:11 pm
CowboyNV wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:07 pm
Steve did pull some shenanigans during his run, so nobody is innocent during that time, but i do think that we could get the most hated coach in the MWC back with minimal commitment. Say what you want about "Rat Boy", but he did bring guys in and won.
I thought Steve did just fine. I was away from the state during that time so I heard a bunch of rumors as to why he was fired, but replacing him with Schroyer was probably Tommy's biggest blunder to date.
What is the difference between politicians and stoners? Politicians don't inhale...they just suck.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

I am drafting a letter right now. Will post when done if anyone wants to express the same sentiment.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Steve McClain? Hell no. I am sure there are a lot better candidates than him.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

No way. His last few years were awful. Not to mention the fact it's been 15 years since he was here. That ship has sailed. It's time to take a chance on a successful JC coach or someone else whose an up and comer. I don't know who it will be but I would prefer someone younger than 50 (or 40 for that matter) whose energy level matches the challenge in front of him.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

My letter to Mr. Burman:

"Mr. Burman

As an Alumni of UW during the 1999-2005 era, I am very disappointed with the direction of the MBB program since you have taken the lead of the Athletic Department. When I was first exposed to UW athletics, I came in during the time where Lee Moon destroyed the Football program with the release of Joe Tiller, where Gary Barta got fired for overlooking the Dimel incident, and now you have let the WYO MBB program descend into a point where we are no longer competitive in a proven weaker conference than the days where Steve McClain won the conference in the regular season against a Rick Majerus Utah team in the Dome of Doom! I can link the video if you would like.... Look at the state of the AA today. Are you really satisfied with all the empty seats? Is this what you envisioned when you took over this program? Do the right thing.

V/R,

William Harman
UW Alumni, MSEE 2005"

might have missed on the dimel thing.....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Don't really know but it can't come from a within hire, sorry, I'd say we give Tim Myles a shot and see what he can help rebuild here
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke

After a little bit of looking around...why not go after a Randy Bennett from St. Mary's or Damon Stoudamire from Pacific? Both have had success in current and past programs...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

It costs too much. It sucks too much. It is what it is. At the end of the day - most wyomingites fight pretty damn hard to be in wyoming.

Instead we gotta deal with the i80 poop. Don't matter how hard you fight - the rest of the world fights harder.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Randy Bennett or Stoudemire good choices, but would Wyoming be what those coaches are looking for? They have better things going where they are, but go for em
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I heard a rumor it's probably going to be Linder. I'm fine with that
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:49 am I heard a rumor it's probably going to be Linder. I'm fine with that
Yup...though it's a pretty low bar at this point. I think if you put random coach names in a hat and drew one out, the likelihood of improvement with the change would be a near certainty...lol.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

307bball wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:48 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:49 am I heard a rumor it's probably going to be Linder. I'm fine with that
Yup...though it's a pretty low bar at this point. I think if you put random coach names in a hat and drew one out, the likelihood of improvement with the change would be a near certainty...lol.
Linder would be a good get plus he already wins in the double A
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I've heard the same
CowboyNV
A Real Cowboy

Linder's used to having a shorter team. He has three 6'9" guys, one 6'6", and the rest under 6'4". His teams at least seem to rebound which would be a major improvement. He also can recruit Colorado. I guess he would be about the best available, because most coaches worth a poop won't want anything to do with the fiasco that is Wyoming men's basketball. At this stage of the game you could probably put a stuffed tackling dummy in a suit on the sidelines and get about the same results.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Where's Linder from, hope he has HC experience
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 am Where's Linder from, hope he has HC experience
He’s the current HC for University of Northern Colorado. UNC has beat Wyoming three years in a row. The Bears are 20-9 sitting in third in the Big Sky.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:44 am
stymeman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 am Where's Linder from, hope he has HC experience
He’s the current HC for University of Northern Colorado. UNC has beat Wyoming three years in a row. The Bears are 20-9 sitting in third in the Big Sky.
Prior to his stint at UNC, he was the Assistant Head Coach at Boise State, so he has Mountain West experience as well.