Look at "Current Roster"

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

UW has already updated the Roster for next year, with at TBD for Head Coach. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what we have coming back next year (barring any transfers).

SR:
F, Tyler Mormon (6-9, 220)

RS-JR:
G, Hunter Maldonado (6-7, 200)
F, Austin Mueller (6-6, 210)

JR:
G, Haize Fornstrom (6-4, 185)
G, Greg Milton (6-3, 185)
F, Brandon Porter (6-8, 193)
G/F, TJ Taylor (6-6, 197)
F, Hunter Thompson, (6-10, 235)

So:
G, Kenny Foster (6-5, 190)
G, Kwane Marble (6-6, 195)
F, Javier Turner (6-11, 230)

We will have another small senior class next year with one lone dude...but our Jr class will be huge. Not sure how, but we'll have to try to even out the classes somehow. Did we not redshirt anyone this year...and I'm talking mainly Javier Turner? ESPN shows he played in 4 games: 3 games in November, and USU at the end of Jan. He's got 2 rebounds and 3 fouls to his name.

We do have SOME height...arguably more than I thought (Porter, Thompson, Turner, and Mormon all over 6-8). Were there significant injuries to our "big guys" or did we just not play them (Morman)? Thompson played the most on that list, but liked to stay outside more than I would have liked.

I hate to say it, but this season was remarkably unremarkable and I don't remember individual injuries or whether dudes redshirted, etc.

What are your thoughts on the current roster as it sits?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:12 am UW has already updated the Roster for next year, with at TBD for Head Coach. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what we have coming back next year (barring any transfers).

SR:
F, Tyler Mormon (6-9, 220)

RS-JR:
G, Hunter Maldonado (6-7, 200)
F, Austin Mueller (6-6, 210)

JR:
G, Haize Fornstrom (6-4, 185)
G, Greg Milton (6-3, 185)
F, Brandon Porter (6-8, 193)
G/F, TJ Taylor (6-6, 197)
F, Hunter Thompson, (6-10, 235)

So:
G, Kenny Foster (6-5, 190)
G, Kwane Marble (6-6, 195)
F, Javier Turner (6-11, 230)

We will have another small senior class next year with one lone dude...but our Jr class will be huge. Not sure how, but we'll have to try to even out the classes somehow. Did we not redshirt anyone this year...and I'm talking mainly Javier Turner? ESPN shows he played in 4 games: 3 games in November, and USU at the end of Jan. He's got 2 rebounds and 3 fouls to his name.

We do have SOME height...arguably more than I thought (Porter, Thompson, Turner, and Mormon all over 6-8). Were there significant injuries to our "big guys" or did we just not play them (Morman)? Thompson played the most on that list, but liked to stay outside more than I would have liked.

I hate to say it, but this season was remarkably unremarkable and I don't remember individual injuries or whether dudes redshirted, etc.

What are your thoughts on the current roster as it sits?
I think it won seven games.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

They said prior to the year that no one would redshirt this year. Don't know if that changed. Mormon was injured the whole year. I think he could have made a pretty big difference as a banger down low. NOt sure if he could do a medical redshirt or not.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think Turner could probably be a player. He's obviously athletic. I could tell that just watching him run down the court one time. I think a good coach could get something out of both Turner and Moreman. I really think there is at least a .500 team already on the roster. Just a competent coach is needed!
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

My son and I were able to catch a practice late in the season. Tyler Mormon looked the part of a future MWC all conference player. He was practicing with the other “bigs” Taylor, Turner and Porter. Thompson was recovering from mono and on a stationary bike. Mormon had by far the best post moves and just seemed so natural around the rim. If Mormon played this year, I think we win at least 8-10 more games. He is the real deal
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

How many games can they play in BBall and still be able to retain their RS? Neither Turner or Mormon played much...seems like it may be a good idea, if possible, to use this last season as a RS year. At least with Turner, it would help even out the classes a little.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm How many games can they play in BBall and still be able to retain their RS? Neither Turner or Mormon played much...seems like it may be a good idea, if possible, to use this last season as a RS year. At least with Turner, it would help even out the classes a little.
I think that if you step on the court in a game other than an exhibition it counts as a year. I’m pretty certain that Mormon will get a medical redshirt as he was dealing with concussion issues. I don’t think Turner played at all this year
kdwrightuwyo
A Real Cowboy

Vt poke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm
kdwrightuwyo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 pm How many games can they play in BBall and still be able to retain their RS? Neither Turner or Mormon played much...seems like it may be a good idea, if possible, to use this last season as a RS year. At least with Turner, it would help even out the classes a little.
I think that if you step on the court in a game other than an exhibition it counts as a year. I’m pretty certain that Mormon will get a medical redshirt as he was dealing with concussion issues. I don’t think Turner played at all this year
ESPN shows he played in 4 games: 3 games in November, and USU at the end of Jan. He's got 2 rebounds and 3 fouls to his name.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

kdwrightuwyo wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:31 pm
Vt poke wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 pm
ESPN shows he played in 4 games: 3 games in November, and USU at the end of Jan. He's got 2 rebounds and 3 fouls to his name.
Gotcha, I would imagine they will seek a redshirt for Mormon tho. Based on what I saw, albeit it a small sample size, Turner is a project. Seems like a very nice kid, well liked, but needs a couple birthdays to get more basketball experience. Mormon’s game looked very polished