Ben Bowen in the portal

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Saw this today. Linder is going to have a handful of scholarships to work with this off-season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

That sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing him play
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

Gotta keep Barnhart, he has the same frame and play as Holmgren, interested to see how he plays
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Barnhart is going to have a big role next year. We desperately need another true post player to go along with Ike.
Vt poke
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:54 pm Barnhart is going to have a big role next year. We desperately need another true post player to go along with Ike.
Hoping we can utilize him like a stretch 4. Prob, based on meat on his bones isn’t a true post, but can bring them out, go to the rack or drop 3’s. Size can and can’t be taught
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Vt poke wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:13 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:54 pm Barnhart is going to have a big role next year. We desperately need another true post player to go along with Ike.
Hoping we can utilize him like a stretch 4. Prob, based on meat on his bones isn’t a true post, but can bring them out, go to the rack or drop 3’s. Size can and can’t be taught
Hope he can be like Horvath from utah state. Play down low some, but can also hit the three
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

Holy transfer portal Batman
W-Y, Until I Die!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

This still looks like the coaching staff is being honest with guys because Nelson, Dut, Bowen, Grigsby weren't going to see much p.t. for years.

If the coaching staff can land a few studs we can really upgrade the talent and depth on the roster.

It still depends on what the 2 Hunters are doing.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 pm This still looks like the coaching staff is being honest with guys because Nelson, Dut, Bowen, Grigsby weren't going to see much p.t. for years.

If the coaching staff can land a few studs we can really upgrade the talent and depth on the roster.

Barring a very surprising result, Maldo will be back after going through the NBA draft evaluation.

Not sure about HT yet. Hope he comes back, but wish him well with whatever he chooses.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:39 pm This still looks like the coaching staff is being honest with guys because Nelson, Dut, Bowen, Grigsby weren't going to see much p.t. for years.

Agreed. Don’t think Bowen was going to play much for a couple of years.

Linder is a no excuse coach and turns things around fast, so I imagine he is trying to get the best talent he can to have a deep bench next year.

He sees these guys in practice everyday so he knows who can cut the mustard and who can’t.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

NowherePoke wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Barring a very surprising result, Maldo will be back after going through the NBA draft evaluation.

Not sure about HT yet. Hope he comes back, but wish him well with whatever he chooses.
I feel bad for Thompson. He was recruited as a stretch 4. Edwards put a bunch of weight on him and played him at center. The new staff hasn't recruited a legit back up center until Powell, so Hunter has been playing back up center still.

I really want to see what he can do at the four because his defense, rebounding, and offense are all better at that spot.

He gets tons of hate, even though he's the only native we have on the roster, and he's been sacrificing his best position to help the team.

If there's any justice in this world, Powell will come in and shine at the 5 and Thompson will get a chance to play the 4 next year. He deserves that opportunity.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:02 pm

I feel bad for Thompson. He was recruited as a stretch 4. Edwards put a bunch of weight on him and played him at center. The new staff hasn't recruited a legit back up center until Powell, so Hunter has been playing back up center still.

I really want to see what he can do at the four because his defense, rebounding, and offense are all better at that spot.

He gets tons of hate, even though he's the only native we have on the roster, and he's been sacrificing his best position to help the team.

If there's any justice in this world, Powell will come in and shine at the 5 and Thompson will get a chance to play the 4 next year. He deserves that opportunity.
Some guys spend their summers improving their game and bodies. Others spend their summers riding around in a cart at Jacoby. I can't count the number of times I saw Thompson at Jacoby last summer. The kid doesn't care about being good let alone mediocre.

He's the same player he was when he came to UW. He hasn't sacrificed anything. He's been gifted playing time because there is no other option. I want to see what Linder can do with another scholarship rather than having Thompson back.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Not sure why you feel bad for HT. He's received a free college education. He's a liability on defense and he rarely gets more than 1 rebound in a game. He can't post up and he can't dribble and drive. He's had enough chances. I'd rather we take a chance on someone else who might bring some toughness or rebounding ability.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

DVDA wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:47 am

Some guys spend their summers improving their game and bodies. Others spend their summers riding around in a cart at Jacoby. I can't count the number of times I saw Thompson at Jacoby last summer. The kid doesn't care about being good let alone mediocre.

He's the same player he was when he came to UW. He hasn't sacrificed anything. He's been gifted playing time because there is no other option. I want to see what Linder can do with another scholarship rather than having Thompson back.
This is poop of the highest order. You have no idea what the kid cares about. I'm glad you saw him at the golf course. At least you didn't see him at the bar or the court house. You don't know what he's doing the rest of the day. You're quick to dismiss the fact that he's been a power forward since high school, yet we've played him at center the entire time he's been here. Allen Edwards had him put on 25 pounds to play center. He did it without complaint. He stayed here when everyone else left because of his loyalty to Wyoming, playing out of position for the good of the team.

He's not the same player that he was out of high school. Now he's a back up center. You think you're the only one that knows he's not a center? Everyone knows that. No one knows it more than Hunter, yet he's playing there because that's what the team and the coaching staff needs.

If you didn't notice last year, our best line-up was with Hunter and Ike on the floor at the same time. That was backed up the majority of the year by the +/- stat. We built leads or cut into them with both of them on the floor together. You can't double Ike with another big with Hunter at the four. I want to see what he can do at the four, because he played very well there whenever he was given the chance this year.

I want to see him get the chance to hit the mute button on all you little league coaches.

We're not better off with an extra scholarship. Were better off with someone else playing back up center and with Hunter playing the stretch 4.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

bladerunnr wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:11 pm

Not sure why you feel bad for HT. He's received a free college education. He's a liability on defense and he rarely gets more than 1 rebound in a game. He can't post up and he can't dribble and drive. He's had enough chances. I'd rather we take a chance on someone else who might bring some toughness or rebounding ability.
I feel bad for him because he loves Wyoming more than anyone else on the team and he's been playing center for four years because that's what the coaching staffs in charge have asked him to do. We still haven't seen him play the 4 more than a few minutes a game.

If you haven't noticed, we've got plenty of scholarships to fill: at least 3 more of them. We're not going to recruit 4 guys better than Hunter Thompson in this class.

Hunter deserves the chance to play the stretch 4 this season. He's earned that.
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Old-Bull wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:34 pm
DVDA wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:47 am

This is [#]sh#t of the highest order. You have no idea what the kid cares about. I'm glad you saw him at the golf course. At least you didn't see him at the bar or the court house. You don't know what he's doing the rest of the day. You're quick to dismiss the fact that he's been a power forward since high school, yet we've played him at center the entire time he's been here. Allen Edwards had him put on 25 pounds to play center. He did it without complaint. He stayed here when everyone else left because of his loyalty to Wyoming, playing out of position for the good of the team.

He's not the same player that he was out of high school. Now he's a back up center. You think you're the only one that knows he's not a center? Everyone knows that. No one knows it more than Hunter, yet he's playing there because that's what the team and the coaching staff needs.

If you didn't notice last year, our best line-up was with Hunter and Ike on the floor at the same time. That was backed up the majority of the year by the +/- stat. We built leads or cut into them with both of them on the floor together. You can't double Ike with another big with Hunter at the four. I want to see what he can do at the four, because he played very well there whenever he was given the chance this year.

I want to see him get the chance to hit the mute button on all you little league coaches.

We're not better off with an extra scholarship. Were better off with someone else playing back up center and with Hunter playing the stretch 4.
It looks like we found Hunter's sensitive family member on the forum. Hunter was at Jacoby most of the summer last year. I never said golfing made him a bad person or was a bad decision. I'm not sure why you're going out and comparing it to being at a bar or in legal trouble. He simply hasn't improved since he got to Laramie and clearly spends his time doing other activities instead of working on his body or game. The proof is in the pudding. He is still awful at everything besides shooting and even then he's under 40% on wide open looks.

He's still a streaky shooter with terrible defense and division 2 athleticism. He is still the soft kid with T-Rex arms and a 6 inch vertical that came to Laramie and was given playing time because there were no other options. He hasn't earned a minute of his playing time at UW. He will be riding the bench next season with a competent backup at center and another off-season of growth from Oden since Oden actually cares about improving.

Maybe you should talk to your boy Hunter and let him know that extra 25 pounds means nothing when it is all soft weight. He would be better off being a soft 220 with a 12 inch vertical instead of a soft and slow 245.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Yeah, nice try. I'm not related to Hunter. I don't know him at all. I have absolutely no ties to him other than the fact that we're both from Wyoming.

I'm also not the guy that's saying he hasn't improved because he spends the summer at the golf course. That's you. You have no idea what he does the rest of the day, but since he's at the golf course he must not be trying to get better as a basketball player? Solid argument.

He has improved. He was much better last year in the limited minutes he got. He just couldn't play much because we had to keep him and Ike out of foul trouble at the same time, because we don't have anyone else that can play center.

He's not awful at everything aside from shooting. He made a lot of winning plays this year and probably was responsible for getting us a couple of wins off the bench at center, drawing charges, defending Orlando Robinson.....the list goes on and on. You Thompson haters are quick to mention every time he makes a bad play, but never give him credit for the winning plays he makes because it doesn't fit your narrative. We went to the NCAA tournament because Hunter didn't let us lose to Fresno when Ike fouled out. Talk all the poop you want, but that's reality.

That soft kid with T Rex arms was originally committed to Creighton and had a long list of people recruiting him. If he entered the transfer portal, he would still have a long list of teams on him now. You want to know why? You don't find guys his size that can shoot as well as him.

He's probably not going to transfer. He loves Wyoming too much. He loves it enough to listen to a bunch of douchebags on a message board talk about how bad he is, when he would probably beat your ass about 15-0 in a game of one on one.

He loves Wyoming enough to play out of position for the good of the team.

He loves it enough to stay through 2 years of Allen Edwards record setting losing seasons.

He loves it enough to not take the easy way out and transfer.

Hunter deserves to be rewarded for his loyalty and sacrifice. He deserves a shot playing the position he was promised he would play by 2 different coaching staffs.

Don't give up on Hunter. He didn't give up on us.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Not sure what some of you were watching but Thompson played well the last 7 or so games of the season. He played a lot better defense, banged down low, took charges and starting hitting some 3 balls.

If you didn’t notice that then you don’t know basketball or weren’t paying attention and just like to rant about BS to complain for no reason lol

I hope he comes back next year. He has the experience. I think they should put another 10 pounds of muscle on him. He can be a good back up role player coming off of the bench for sure.

I think they should bring in someone from the transfer portal to play center that has experience.

Powell won’t do much next year as a freshman. They need someone with experience that can start at center or can back up Ike. Ike would be better at the 4 spot though. He is only 6’9.

A transfer senior center that can play defense and grab boards would be perfect.

Move Oden to the 3 spot with Xavier at the 2 and Maldonado at the Point. Then also bring in a quick ball handling PG that can hit the 3 ball that can come in as the 6th or 7th guy to give a change of pace for Maldo.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:36 pm Not sure what some of you were watching but Thompson played well the last 7 or so games of the season. He played a lot better defense, banged down low, took charges and starting hitting some 3 balls.

If you didn’t notice that then you don’t know basketball or weren’t paying attention and just like to rant about BS to complain for no reason lol

I hope he comes back next year. He has the experience. I think they should put another 10 pounds of muscle on him. He can be a good back up role player coming off of the bench for sure.

I think they should bring in someone from the transfer portal to play center that has experience.

Powell won’t do much next year as a freshman. They need someone with experience that can start at center or can back up Ike. Ike would be better at the 4 spot though. He is only 6’9.

A transfer senior center that can play defense and grab boards would be perfect.

Move Oden to the 3 spot with Xavier at the 2 and Maldonado at the Point. Then also bring in a quick ball handling PG that can hit the 3 ball that can come in as the 6th or 7th guy to give a change of pace for Maldo.
Ike can't defend the perimeter as a center yet you think he should play the 4 because he's only 6'9" and you have the audacity to comment on anyone's knowledge of the game... That's funny right there. Please tell me how that floor spacing is going to work out with Oden, Maldonado, and a center on the court with Ike. This ignorance is why I avoid this board anymore.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Thompson played well down the stretch. If he can play like that I’d welcome him back