MWC race/depth

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I just saw that TCU beat UNLV in overtime in Ft. Worth last night http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=320452628.

Is that a bad loss for Vegas or is TCU better than everyone gives them credit for? Does this diminish our win over UNLV in Laramie? TCU's athleticism spooks me even more now.

I think this is more proof that the MWC's quality runs deeper this year than we have given it credit for. The National guys (ESPN, etc.) have been mentioning that the conference is deep and that there are few safe road games.

If all goes well for us, I expect to be tied with TCU going into the game in Laramie, because their next two games are against Boise State and Air Force.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Well each team shot 29 FT's, so it's possible that the common referee problem may not apply here.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

I think UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico will be going to the big dance along with either Wyo or CSU.
Hopefully Wyo. The Wyo/CSU rep may only be a 14 or 15 seed, but I think one of us will win the MWC Tourney.

That being said, I think either Wyo/CSU with TCU make the NIT.

The MWC is very, very deep this year.

You think Wyo can upset SDSU or UNLV on the road this season? (before Tourney time)
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

BeaverPoke wrote:You think Wyo can upset SDSU or UNLV on the road this season? (before Tourney time)
Unlikely at SDSU or UNLV. But not at tournament time, though. Pokes probably already scheduled for NIT (at least)
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

i'll take nit, but big dance would truly be one for the ages....but we gotta win tourney to get there I think, unless we win the rest outright
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

After tonight, the automatic bid is our only option, I would guess. I think we lost focus after getting out to the big lead.

On the other hand, is this more evidence that the leage is very deep? AFA took Vegas to OT the week before we beat the Rebels.

I did not see the game. I know we got beat, but do we have any good matchups vs. San Diego State?

I do not expect UNLV to get upset during the Tournement. If they go down, it will be at the hands of either San Diego State or New Mexico.

If CSU loses to BS (JuCo) University tonight in Boise, we would still be tied with them going into Saturday's game.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoExpat wrote:After tonight, the automatic bid is our only option, I would guess. I think we lost focus after getting out to the big lead.

On the other hand, is this more evidence that the leage is very deep? AFA took Vegas to OT the week before we beat the Rebels.

I did not see the game. I know we got beat, but do we have any good matchups vs. San Diego State?

I do not expect UNLV to get upset during the Tournement. If they go down, it will be at the hands of either San Diego State or New Mexico.

If CSU loses to BS (JuCo) University tonight in Boise, we would still be tied with them going into Saturday's game.
We do well enough matching up in the paint with Waddell and Washington, especially scoring, but it's the outside that we have issues with when it comes to scoring. Sometimes, we shoot pretty damn good. Other nights, like a lot of 3 pointers tonight, will be shot, wide-open, and either fall short, or off target. That is our biggest weakness right now.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

Every coach will tell you that the big problem with 3-pointers is that they are a lower-percentage shot. Typically you will miss more than you make while shots inside, while worth only 2 points, should go in more often than not.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

WyoExpat wrote:Every coach will tell you that the big problem with 3-pointers is that they are a lower-percentage shot. Typically you will miss more than you make while shots inside, while worth only 2 points, should go in more often than not.
Oh, I know that 3 pointers are low percentage shots, but such stats as going 2-11 and 29% with a bunch of wide open shots are simply really bad stats, even for 3 point shots. Even a lot of 2 point shots inside the arc but out from under the hoop seem to have trouble going in on wide open shots.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

fromolwyoming wrote:
WyoExpat wrote:Every coach will tell you that the big problem with 3-pointers is that they are a lower-percentage shot. Typically you will miss more than you make while shots inside, while worth only 2 points, should go in more often than not.
Oh, I know that 3 pointers are low percentage shots, but such stats as going 2-11 and 29% with a bunch of wide open shots are simply really bad stats, even for 3 point shots. Even a lot of 2 point shots inside the arc but out from under the hoop seem to have trouble going in on wide open shots.
The stat geeks will tell you that on the basis of expected points, a dunk/layup is the highest percentage shot (obvious) followed by a corner three (not so obvious). Long twos are at the worst shots.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke

The stat geeks might be right, but long twos can sure make a defensive player indecisive on future possessions. I would rather see someone hit a long two than miss a three. But I am not a coach either.

In our case, I just want makes rather than going several possessions in a row without points.
Cowduck
Cowpoke

From what I see, its clear that our team doesn't take bad shots unless its forced to late in the shot clock. That is the hallmark of a disciplined team, bodes well for our future and is the main reason we don't get blown out. The problem is "unless forced to late in the shot clock" happens with way too much frequency due to our well-established offensive limitations (ie, lack of perimeter athleticism).