Men's Basketball Attendance Poll

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics

POLL: Why is there still attendance issues for men's hoops? Chose 2 options...

Poll ended at Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:03 am

Shroyer & Langley (et al)
11%
Burman - Shroyer Extension Debacle
9%
Marketing Department @ UW - Whoring Out
2%
Just Gonna Take Time
31%
Overall Fan Experience
No votes
Cost Of Attending
No votes
Opponents Scheduled
4%
8 Years Of Losing (Bucky & Heath)
33%
Weather / Driving / Winter
7%
Becoming Apathtic Toward College Sports In General
2%

Total votes: 45
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Select 1 or 2 choices. Just curious what the die hards think.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

You should add an option "I already attend most/all home games." I've seen a big boost in attendance over last year, and I have a feeling come next year there will be some significant buzz surrounding the team.

Cowboy Basketball was basically dead. People didn't want to waste there time with it and forgot about it. It will take time for everyone to realize we are living in an exciting area of Cowboy BBall.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

wyobrandon wrote:You should add an option "I already attend most/all home games."
That is the "Just Gonna Take Time" option, as I figured that most here, as UW diehards, either attended (or would attend if possible).
Dear Karma,

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

for me it's about living in Cheyenne and if the weather horrible i won't go: but it's gotta be totally horrible up on the summit!!! you shoulda added one thing, the damn MTN network, black them out at least in Laramie!!!!

if i were to guess, people don't go cuz it's on TV way too convient and probably still miffed at what Heath did, time to get over that!!!!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

It's going to take a while, because of several years of losing seasons, especially back to back 10 win seasons.

And our lack of offense isn't helping too much either right now.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

I think its the 8 years of bad basketball. The crowds will come back, but the just have to get back in the habit of making games.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I think you left out an option. Would the attendance be better if the games were not on tv? I can't remember how long the mountain has been around, but back in the day, if you wanted to see the game, you had to go.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

The Mountain has been around since Sept. 1, 2006 and was good until most of us got HD tvs' there no excuse in this day and age why sports channels can't broadcast HD....also changing the game times for esp basketball in Laramie at 6pm, when their largest draw is from Cheyenne people....pathetic
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

This may be relevant. I'm curious to know what other posters think. Until Heath came to ruin the program, we have always had a marquee type player. Josh Davis, Marcus Bailey, Justin Williams, Brandon Ewing are just some of the first team all conference guys weve had.

Since this team doesn't really have a star, maybe casual fans aren't as interested to come to the games.

Even when Benny Dees was running the program into the dirt, he always had some great players that I wanted to see. It was always great to watch Reggie Slater or Tim Breax. I still remember the game where Maurice Alexander went out of his mind at the AA and scored 50 against New Mexico (we lost in double ot).
Still, it was the greatest shooting exhibition I've ever seen.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

stymeman wrote:The Mountain has been around since Sept. 1, 2006 and was good until most of us got HD tvs' there no excuse in this day and age why sports channels can't broadcast HD....also changing the game times for esp basketball in Laramie at 6pm, when their largest draw is from Cheyenne people....pathetic
I have stated before, and been cyber-lynched for it, but the .mtn has probably ended up "costing" UW, not helping with revenue as most think. Lost ticket sales / concessions, and more. My statement was more geared toward football...but still.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Surprised, at this point, that nobody has selected the UW Marketing / Game Day Experience reasons. Maybe we are all used to tuning it out, but the in-game advertisements & whoring is horrible.
Dear Karma,

TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

McPeachy wrote:Surprised, at this point, that nobody has selected the UW Marketing / Game Day Experience reasons. Maybe we are all used to tuning it out, but the in-game advertisements & whoring is horrible.
I agree it is horrible and takes the crowd out of the game during timeouts but I don't think that is a reason that people stay away. I doubt anyone has said "I would go to the game but I can't stand what they during timeouts" besides for someone to notice it they would have to go in the first place.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

stymeman wrote:The Mountain has been around since Sept. 1, 2006 and was good until most of us got HD tvs' there no excuse in this day and age why sports channels can't broadcast HD....also changing the game times for esp basketball in Laramie at 6pm, when their largest draw is from Cheyenne people....pathetic
The problem is HD broadcasting is not cheap at all. I don't think the Mtn network ever got off it's feet enough to really offer HD broadcasting a lot. They did for Football games but I think a lot of that was less games to broadcast than Basketball.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Where's the option for an overall fickle, bitchy fanbase?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I think the game experience sucks for fans. We don't serve beer! We kick students out for chanting f-word you BYU & f-word you csu, & we stop all WYO chants by putting in media timeouts ( I know sponsors bring in money, but it sucks that they stop the band & crowd cheers).

It is not that fun to go to games in which fans can't cheer & we can't get rowdy. Winning cures all and fans will come back. I don't blame the student section for not coming because you can get ejected from football and basketball game for no reason these days ( Burman change your policies!).
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

marcuswyo wrote:I think the game experience sucks for fans. We don't serve beer! We kick students out for chanting f-word you BYU & f-word you csu, & we stop all WYO chants by putting in media timeouts ( I know sponsors bring in money, but it sucks that they stop the band & crowd cheers).

It is not that fun to go to games in which fans can't cheer & we can't get rowdy. Winning cures all and fans will come back. I don't blame the student section for not coming because you can get ejected from football and basketball game for no reason these days ( Burman change your policies!).
While I agree UW's marketing and in game experience needs to greatly improve, this isn't the case IMO.

For your scenario to be true that would mean that there are actually a lot people out there wanting to come to the game, but choose not to. I think the students are apathetic. I don't think people choose to not go to the game because they can't chant FU CSU. I think the problem is a deeper loss of touch in general with the whole world of college basketball by many.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

For your scenario to be true that would mean that there are actually a lot people out there wanting to come to the game, but choose not to. I think the students are apathetic. I don't think people choose to not go to the game because they can't chant FU CSU. I think the problem is a deeper loss of touch in general with the whole world of college basketball by many.
I agree that there is a great deal of fan apathy. However, I think a portion of our crowd could of survived the Schroyer years if the game experience was better. It looks like Shyatt is encouraging the crowd to be more vocal and our crowds are getting a little better. I just wish the Schroyer hire would have never happened (as do all UW fans). I can only imagine how far Shyatt could take the B. Ewing & B. Jones led teams.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

TSpoke wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Surprised, at this point, that nobody has selected the UW Marketing / Game Day Experience reasons. Maybe we are all used to tuning it out, but the in-game advertisements & whoring is horrible.
I agree it is horrible and takes the crowd out of the game during timeouts but I don't think that is a reason that people stay away. I doubt anyone has said "I would go to the game but I can't stand what they during timeouts" besides for someone to notice it they would have to go in the first place.
if those wishy washy fans think this during timeouts then they truly aren't CBB fans, I tolerate what goes on, don't always like it but I go for the action on the floor and the "energy" of the crowd, if it's there
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Everybody's whoring out. Montana football games are terrible for this. For a while we had the "Dodge Red Zone" now it's the "Cenex Red Zone" and every media time out some sponsor is on the field with the AD, and blah blah blah.. it gets annoying, but it definitely doesn't keep me away, and I think most fans in general would agree that it doesn't keep them away either.
ImageImageImageImage
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

one word......beer.

W-Y, Until I Die!