Mormons taking over?

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
Post Reply
CalvinWYO
Buckaroo
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:44 pm

Mormons taking over?

Post by CalvinWYO » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 pm

I heard that now 43% of us Wyomingites are LDS. Maybe those guys wearing short sleeve white shirts, black ties and name tags riding around on bicycles are gettin' er done?!

User avatar
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Posts: 6085
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by Asmodeanreborn » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:51 pm

According to the LDS church itself, there are 67,000 Mormons in Wyoming, and considering that they keep very close track, I'd say that's probably legitimate.

You might want to look for better sources.

CasparMilquetoast
Ranch Hand
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by CasparMilquetoast » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:34 pm

Eeesh! This isn't good. I have nothing against Mormons other than they are unknowingly a part of a cult that is probably more dangerous than any other given that it carries an air of being legitimate in many places. The difference between Jim Jones and Brigham Young is about 100 years.

User avatar
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Posts: 3335
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:11 am
Location: Cheyenne, WY

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by WYO1016 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm

Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
Image

User avatar
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Posts: 12055
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 pm
Location: Laramie, Home of the Cowboys

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by fromolwyoming » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm

"Oh noes! People not like us are having kids! The horror!"

Seriously, who cares? Not their fault that fundamentalists aren't popping out kids as fast.

marcuswyo
A Real Cowboy
Posts: 1463
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by marcuswyo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:47 pm

It is no where near 40%. It is at 11% by most accurate counts about the same as Catholics. Wyoming is the most Protestant of the western states and aslo a huge chunk of unaffiliated and non religious which is a point of pride ( 30% or more).

FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 am
Location: Kihei, Maui, HI

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by FarEastPoke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm

WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.

User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5594
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by Wyokie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.
Hence part of why I'm atheist!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken shit! And we're getting chicken shit!!!!!!!!!!!

FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 am
Location: Kihei, Maui, HI

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by FarEastPoke » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Wyokie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm
FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.
Hence part of why I'm atheist!!!
:thumb: No doubt more than a little difficult in a place like Oklahoma. Do you ever listen to the (Laramie based) Waiting 4 Wrath podcast? https://waiting4wrath.com/ :party:

User avatar
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Posts: 5594
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:40 pm
Location: Oklahoma City but from Casper, WY

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by Wyokie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 pm

FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:10 pm
Wyokie wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm
FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.
Hence part of why I'm atheist!!!
:thumb: No doubt more than a little difficult in a place like Oklahoma. Do you ever listen to the (Laramie based) Waiting 4 Wrath podcast? https://waiting4wrath.com/ :party:
LOL You have NO idea. Plus a buddy of mine here is a pastor :roll: His older brother played at UW in the early-to-mid 90s.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken shit! And we're getting chicken shit!!!!!!!!!!!

Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: Under the evening shadow of the Bighorns

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by Expat_Poke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm

FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.
Nothing? Strong word there. Thing is there is historical evidence that there was a Jesus of Nazareth, he was crucified, and his disciples claimed he rose from the dead and proceeded to spread that message across the Roman Empire. In addition to non Christian historians referring to Jesus of Nazareth you have other forms of evidence. While the Roman Empire was trying to squash early Christendom there would have been a very easy way to squash it if Jesus of Nazareth did not exist. Thing is early Christians reference census records and other official documents while defending their religion. While their writings survived the sacking of Rome, the census records and other official records did not, but why would you reference a non-existent record as a defense of your religion? One can argue how strong the evidence is, but to suggest there is nothing that is quite the stretch.

With Christianity it comes down to one thing. Did Jesus of Nazareth rise from the dead. If the disciples were really just a bunch of con-men why keep up the ruse for so long? All of the apostles died horrific deaths save for John (and even he had several attempts made against his life). That is history, you look at the actions of Peter, James, John, the rest of the apostles, Paul, Stephen. Their behavior doesn't mesh with that of con-men. They willingly went to places they knew were going to get them imprisoned or killed. When imprisoned they didn't attempt violent escapes. They weren't spreading their message via power or the sword and receiving riches. Those early Christians were true believers, and if anyone pulled a con about Jesus rising from the dead the only sensible ones to do that would not be the Romans or the Sanhedrin, no it would have to be the disciples. You think they would keep it up after watching one of their own get beheaded, stoned, crucified, skinned alive?
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville

FarEastPoke
Ranch Hand
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 am
Location: Kihei, Maui, HI

Re: Mormons taking over?

Post by FarEastPoke » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:21 am

Expat_Poke wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:20 pm
FarEastPoke wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:23 pm
WYO1016 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm
Just because someone is different than you doesn't make them part of a cult. Tread lightly. Remember, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
All religions are cults, and they all belong in the dustbin of history. There is nothing behind any of them but irrational nonsense and fairy tales. Nothing in history or science validates any of it. At the top of every cult is a con artist who knows it's all horse crap, the only difference with a 'religion' is that the one who got it started is dead. It's the 21st century now. Leave your delusions behind.
Nothing? Strong word there. Thing is there is historical evidence that there was a Jesus of Nazareth, he was crucified, and his disciples claimed he rose from the dead and proceeded to spread that message across the Roman Empire. In addition to non Christian historians referring to Jesus of Nazareth you have other forms of evidence. While the Roman Empire was trying to squash early Christendom there would have been a very easy way to squash it if Jesus of Nazareth did not exist. Thing is early Christians reference census records and other official documents while defending their religion. While their writings survived the sacking of Rome, the census records and other official records did not, but why would you reference a non-existent record as a defense of your religion? One can argue how strong the evidence is, but to suggest there is nothing that is quite the stretch.

With Christianity it comes down to one thing. Did Jesus of Nazareth rise from the dead. If the disciples were really just a bunch of con-men why keep up the ruse for so long? All of the apostles died horrific deaths save for John (and even he had several attempts made against his life). That is history, you look at the actions of Peter, James, John, the rest of the apostles, Paul, Stephen. Their behavior doesn't mesh with that of con-men. They willingly went to places they knew were going to get them imprisoned or killed. When imprisoned they didn't attempt violent escapes. They weren't spreading their message via power or the sword and receiving riches. Those early Christians were true believers, and if anyone pulled a con about Jesus rising from the dead the only sensible ones to do that would not be the Romans or the Sanhedrin, no it would have to be the disciples. You think they would keep it up after watching one of their own get beheaded, stoned, crucified, skinned alive?
You need to read more books on the subject-- skeptical ones, not church propaganda. I suggest you start with Bart Ehrman.(http://www.bartdehrman.com/ ) Gospels were written between 40 to 100 years after those events by people who were neither from nor knew the country it was written about, didn't speak or write the language of the area, and as evident by the blatant contradictions found in them were clearly making much of it up, if not all of it. There was never a slaughter of the innocents, places mentioned in them didn't exist at the time, Romans never allowed the crucified to be taken down for burial, no census was ever taken at the time, (And even if there were, no one would ever be required to return to their birthplace, that would be absolutely silly) and there are NO extra-biblical accounts of any miracle, event, or sermon given. Zip. Zero references. You may believe it happened, but the onus would be on YOU to prove it. Otherwise, it just didn't happen. As for the OT, there was no world wide flood, no exodus, (It takes a week to cross the Sanai on foot, not 40 years, and it has been scoured for evidence of such a trek with nothing found) and the creation myth holds no water, so there was no need for a sacrifice in the first place. It's nothing but a myth that puts a small group of people in control of a large populace up until that populace becomes better educated. The only reason anyone can believe it is if they are indoctrinated with it at an age when they cannot yet reason for themselves- which is the same MO of every other religion on Earth. They all have martyrs, so yours are no more special that theirs. As Carl Sagan said, 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence', and a few deluded followers willing to undergo torture is nowhere near the evidence needed to prove the claim true. In other words, 'citation needed'.

Post Reply