just trying to get a feel

A forum for everything else not sports related. A place for fun and everything amusing.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Wyoming citizens on these boards, just trying to get a feel for how everyone's feeling about the candidates for governor this upcoming season. It's been a relatively quiet period so far, but sure it'll start to ramp up now that spring/summer are upcoming. NOT trying to be political by any stretch, but just trying to see if there's much interest in this? I'm on board with Dr Taylor Haynes and I would sure recommend anyone to attend one of his town halls in a city near you. Let's keep this civil and such just trying to see what kind of interest in out there for Wyoming citizens.....thank you. It'll come down to name recognition, backing and who has the most $$, I think.

A good link to read https://www.sheridanmedia.com/news/2018 ... doozy99344

The candidates are in no apparent order: feel free to add if I missed any--
Republicans--
Bill Dahlin---Sheridan
Foster Friess--Jackson
Harriet Hageman--Cheyenne
Taylor Haynes---Laramie
Mark Gordon---Buffalo
Sam Galeotos---Cheyenne
Rex Rammell---Rock Springs

Democrats
Mary Thorne---Cheyenne
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Looking through a lot of them....

Can we get new candidates? Most still think that things like coal is long-term viable when its use worldwide is nosediving (Trump's little walk back on the redtape is a band-aid on a slit jugular). A couple even like Trump (no thanks to that buffoon). Otherwise, its like they copy/pasted the same damn things onto all of their sites on their stances.

And Mary Thorne hasn't even posted her own stances on her site. Can't even say anything more on her.

No wonder our economy has been so stagnant since forever; we get carbon copies of candidates that run against each other, get into office, and then keep try to salvage something from 60 years ago when its no longer viable.

Not to mention the brain drain on the state. How many seniors of high school, or recent UW graduates, leave the state because its so focused on staying with coal mining and what not, that other job opportunities are abandoned? I only saw 1 candidate on there actually address this, then went on to say that he admired Trump.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

It seems like, same ol same ol all the time, and just kick the proverbial can down the road and hope nothing major happens while they are in office. And the problem I have is people just vote by name recognition and if they are currently in office then something must be working so let's keep them in. NO it's time to try new ideas even if they seem far fetched for a change and just see what the result can and may be. the Rino Matt Mead really screwed this state up, but nobody sees it cuz the media doesn't report on what local gov't have done for fears of being ostracized for things in the future. I'm glad we only live about 80-90 years on the planet, if were lucky and don't have to see what the "glorious" future has to offer...if any
wyokoke
A Real Cowboy

I haven't dug in yet to see who I like, but I know NOT Freiss or Rammell. Feel like I don't like Thorne or Dahlin either but need to look into them more.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

wyokoke wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:51 pm I haven't dug in yet to see who I like, but I know NOT Freiss or Rammell. Feel like I don't like Thorne or Dahlin either but need to look into them more.
Alter the picture and name, and you basically have all of them.

Wish I was exaggerating, but...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

No longer a Wyoming resident (obviously), but I still follow Wyoming politics somewhat because I find it interesting. I agree with the sentiment that it gets old to see politicians holding on to the old with a death grip when Wyoming has so incredibly much potential as a state to find one or more industries where they could become national if not world leaders.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 12:01 pm No longer a Wyoming resident (obviously), but I still follow Wyoming politics somewhat because I find it interesting. I agree with the sentiment that it gets old to see politicians holding on to the old with a death grip when Wyoming has so incredibly much potential as a state to find one or more industries where they could become national if not world leaders.
Oklahoma has the exact same problem. Oil industry here is king. To hell with everything else INCLUDING education!!!!!

Thank Gawd I was born and raised in WYOMING!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

I find it very odd that so many people in the state grasp the viewpoint of fossil fuels vs. renewables. Either one or the other, no compromise. As if allowing solar, wind, other alternate forms of energy means you no longer support any version of fossil fuel. They can coexist, especially in a state with an abundance of wind, clear skies, open spaces and fossil fuels in the ground.

This mindset of A vs. B or US vs. THEM seems to permeate many viewpoint when there are plenty of options that can happily fuse both sides of an argument.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 1:36 pm I find it very odd that so many people in the state grasp the viewpoint of fossil fuels vs. renewables. Either one or the other, no compromise. As if allowing solar, wind, other alternate forms of energy means you no longer support any version of fossil fuel. They can coexist, especially in a state with an abundance of wind, clear skies, open spaces and fossil fuels in the ground.

This mindset of A vs. B or US vs. THEM seems to permeate many viewpoint when there are plenty of options that can happily fuse both sides of an argument.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/01/coal-us ... dicts.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... l-in-2016/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ner-energy

I can keep posting more and more links to studies showing that coal, as well as other non-renewables (if to a lesser extent) are being phased out worldwide.

So we keep mining coal. Tell me, where does it go, if no one is using it? Where would money come from to keep it viable?

Its plain we need to look into other forms of revenue not only for the state, but for residents as well. How many on here would still be in Wyoming if the state offered the kind of business they had studied for? They had trained for?
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

You are preaching to the choir here. I agree that fossil fuels are a dying industry, but my point is that we don't need to completely abandon them in order to pursue renewable technology. And conversely, we can't simply ignore the burgeoning market that is renewable energy technology in order to try and hold on to old ways of fossil fuels.

In short, keep the jobs that fossil fuels still has before they are completely gone and simultaneously start investing in and allow a growing sector (Renewables) to come in to the state.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Yeah, I don't see any reason to artificially "shut down" the fossil fuel industry. Just don't allow them to starve competition from renewables or get crazy deals on access to public lands not available to others.

For the record, I went solar last year because it honestly wasn't that expensive. Will it ever pay off? Hopefully not - because if it does, it means electricity kept getting more expensive year over year rather than found a cool, new technology that made production cheaper. I think for us we will break even over 20 years if electricity hits 10 cents per kWh here in the next 5 years or so. That is, if you discount the crazy tax credit it came with.

Here's what April looked like, in case anybody's curious:

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Freiss is a nutcase and has already gotten himself national attention for saying crazy poop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBmIoVOg1O0

Al Simpson endorsed Gordon and Cynthia Lummis endorsed Galetos, have a strong feeling it will be one of the two.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Can I write in my dog?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm Freiss is a nutcase and has already gotten himself national attention for saying crazy poop.
Holy crap.

At least it's better than the Nazi running for U.S. Senate in California and is currently the second top choice in polls with 18% (Feinstein's in the lead with 36% - and while I'm no fan of hers, at least she's not a Nazi). All because he has an R next to his name.

He literally wants to institute the death penalty for being Jewish. I made the mistake of watching one of his speeches where he started off all nice about being in the military, and then he went off about "seeing the light" regarding the Jew problem or whatever he called it.

If you're in for something gross, check out Patrick Little.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:52 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 pm Freiss is a nutcase and has already gotten himself national attention for saying crazy poop.
Holy crap.

At least it's better than the Nazi running for U.S. Senate in California and is currently the second top choice in polls with 18% (Feinstein's in the lead with 36% - and while I'm no fan of hers, at least she's not a Nazi). All because he has an R next to his name.

He literally wants to institute the death penalty for being Jewish. I made the mistake of watching one of his speeches where he started off all nice about being in the military, and then he went off about "seeing the light" regarding the Jew problem or whatever he called it.

If you're in for something gross, check out Patrick Little.
I call BS. No, I haven't watched anything about Patrick Little, and dont deny he may be a jerk, but am sure that those views are not getting anybody anywhere. Just because he has an R next to his name? It sounds just like all the people who think trump is Hitler or some stupid crap like that because he has an R next to his name. Man people are getting so extreme and alarmist these days. The death penalty for being Jewish? You have to be freaking kidding me.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 1:35 pm I call BS. No, I haven't watched anything about Patrick Little, and dont deny he may be a jerk, but am sure that those views are not getting anybody anywhere. Just because he has an R next to his name? It sounds just like all the people who think trump is Hitler or some stupid crap like that because he has an R next to his name. Man people are getting so extreme and alarmist these days. The death penalty for being Jewish? You have to be freaking kidding me.
Uh, that's literally what he asks for in his videos.

I'm not going to link to the videos, because honestly, I don't want to watch that again. I probably shouldn't have gone to his website either, but here's a few things from his platform which can be found there - and they're not quite as extreme as his videos:

“Introduction of a bill to the Senate proposing the immediate dismissal of the necessary number of Jewish jurists that would reduce their representation in federal courts and the supreme court to a number representative of their percentage of the US population.” (Since we have about 1.4% Jews in the U.S., it means there'd be zero Jewish judges, for the record, something he talks about in his videos).

“Put to rest the issue of slavery in the US by introducing a bill ending all foreign aid to Israel, and giving the US population of blacks descended of African slaves in the US a one time payment. This payment will be equivalent to the next ten years of aid to Israel divided by the number of recipients. Enshrined in this bill will be a permanent ban on providing foreign aid to Israel, including a death penalty for any politician introducing a bill that would lead to foreign aid to Israel.

“Introduce a bill to the US Senate making it illegal to raise funds for any foundation related to the perpetuating of propaganda related to a ‘holocaust’, formally making US’s stance on the holocaust to be that it is a Jewish war atrocity propaganda hoax that never happened.”

So 100%, this guy is a NAZI, and yes, he's currently polling 18%!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict

Yeah, sorry man...if you don't grasp that a fairly sizable portion of the voting population vote for candidates solely based on the 'R' or the 'D' after their name, you are fooling yourself.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

It's all about the well informed voter vs the Non informed and just shut their eyes and say that one looks good or I remember that name etc.....I understand campaign ads and such are spendy it's too bad people don't attend more town halls and debates to get a feel for what is truly going on, but I have a feeling this election is going to be bought, unfortunately.....
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Its unfortunate whomever spends the most $ will probably get it, its too bad Hageman is basically in there to split the conservative vote, hopefully voters do try to educate themselves and vote with their heads. Go Dr Haynes pull this off
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 pm Its unfortunate whomever spends the most $ will probably get it, its too bad Hageman is basically in there to split the conservative vote, hopefully voters do try to educate themselves and vote with their heads. Go Dr Haynes pull this off
Yeah, this is straight from his website;
Climate change is a politically hot topic these days. However, it is a natural phenomenon largely driven by our relationship to the Sun in its elliptical orbit and the aspect of the earth on its axis. The hysteria regarding CO2 is a scam. CO2 is the molecule green growing plants use to produce oxygen and cellulose via a process called photosynthesis.
I'll take the word over scientists that have actually studied this for years, over someone that probably hasn't bothered with this kind of science since high school.

And his healthcare stance is mostly him bragging about his achievements over offering actual solutions.