HCDC message to students

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

Dear Wyoming Students:

I know we all are looking forward to Saturday’s big game with Texas. I would like to thank all of our students who picked up their tickets for the game, you will make the atmosphere in War Memorial Stadium very special.

There is one thing that really bothered me in my very first game at the stadium last week, and that is the chant that I heard coming from the student section after we announce “Another WYO First Down”. We cannot have that in our stadium. It shows no class, and it is offensive to all of our great fans in attendance. I know I’m new to Wyoming, but I guarantee you that I do not want to be associated with that kind of chant. We want you to yell at the top of your lungs, and support the Cowboys, but please do it in a first-class way.

We appreciate you coming to our games, and we love the student-body support. Please do it the right way. Thanks, and GO COWBOYS!

Sincerely,

Dave Christensen
University of Wyoming Head Football Coach
PApokesPhan
Ranch Hand

BOOOOOOOOOO DC!!!!!!!!

Another WYO First Down Motha F##ka!
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

Good for DC, I'm glad he called the students out on that. I found it pretty classless as well, right along with "32's a bitch" which I've never understood. Perhaps the first down addition came from the fact that we didn't get to hear that a lot over the past few years. But I expect that we'll be chanting "W-Y-O First Down" quite a bit while DC's around, and we don't need that little addition.

I'm all for getting loud and a little rowdy, but we can do so in a way that's not classless or offensive. Looking forward to watching the last bit of the game on Saturday. Wish I could be there in person.

GO POKES!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I like the confidence that DC is showing that he thinks we'll get some first downs against Texas... :lol:

Kidding!

I'll bite -- though. What did the students chant after another first down?
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

PApokesPhan wrote:Another WYO First Down Motha F##ka!
That's what the students always say after a first down.. "Motha F**ka" I have gotten so used to it I don't even think about it anymore... I think DC should just chill or next the next thing to go might be the beer song :cry:
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Thinking about the chant in the first place "another first down..." that sucks by itself. Then, add in the Mother F&%$er thing...well that is borderline brain dead. I would expect something like that from CSU students that have no class, but not WYO. I can cuss like a sailor, and sometimes do, but there is a time & place... :oops:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

Whatever happened to the "Wyo Echo"?

That was the best -- and LOUD. Haven't heard it in years.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

CowboyCO wrote:Whatever happened to the "Wyo Echo"?

That was the best -- and LOUD. Haven't heard it in years.

The "marketing" department screwed it up. They tried it a few years ago...like what they do in the AA, with W in one part Y in one part and O in one part. It sucked ass. They are all too young to really know what the W-Y-O echo is, and how great it was, and how it worked. Dumbasses...
Dear Karma,

nirv117
Ranch Hand

That is one of the things I miss the most. East Vs West - W Y O - It was awesome. We need to get it going again.
God is a Cowboy
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I agree that there's a time and a place Peachy. But I do think the cheer is pretty cool. It started a couple years ago, though I think it came out of a particular section and had been going on there for a while. The first year, the announcer would tell you who carried or caught the ball, then say "and that's good for a W-Y-O" and the crowd would repond with "FIRST DOWN!" and all point in that direction. Of course, the next year, they had to add "a Brown and Gold Outlet WYO first down. I don't like that, but I think it's something that involves the crowd and is cool to hear.

The addition from the student section is something we can go without, IMO.

GO POKES!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

nirv117 wrote:That is one of the things I miss the most. East Vs West - W Y O - It was awesome. We need to get it going again.
Surely Burman remembers it. But it is his associate AD's (in charge of game day & marketing) that insist that it doesn't work (and won't work). "They" need to quit being so stubborn and uptight, and give it a try again. It was a great tradition, and a blast.
Dear Karma,

nirv117
Ranch Hand

It will work if done correctly. There are enough fans who remember it.
God is a Cowboy
Stuck
Ranch Hand

I agree with DC.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 110 times

I'm guilty of participating in that particular chant, but I will respect the coach and stop. If the team has to change to get this program turned around, then we have to do the same as fans. GO POKES!!!
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

I wish all our coaches were like DC. Straight up--no pussy footing around. "SHOW SOME CLASS!" gotta love it.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
roozy
Ranch Hand

I agree with DC. We should be able to take our families to a game without dealing with that kind of garbage.
Jesus First, then football
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don't care what we say after we get first downs as long as we are getting them!

btw.. Where did DC post this? I never received an e-mail about this on my university addy.
I'm good for 3!
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

The stampede group posted it on Facebook
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Well, the first down cheer is surely dead now. They did it once or twice, and the students yelled as loud as ever, and the announcer quit announcing it.

I have to agree with DC, it was classless. The first time I heard it, I couldn't understand what they were saying. My ten year old had to fill me in. :oops:
WyoFanatic1919
Buckaroo

COS Cowboy wrote:Well, the first down cheer is surely dead now. They did it once or twice, and the students yelled as loud as ever, and the announcer quit announcing it.

I have to agree with DC, it was classless. The first time I heard it, I couldn't understand what they were saying. My ten year old had to fill me in. :oops:
Yeah I was in the middle of the student section and it was LOUD. Of course they still tried to do it on their own but it was too hard and there would be like 4 groups saying it at different times. DC wasn't kidding; he meant business.