Christiansen's one BIG mistake

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I think Christiansen has done a very good job so far. Here's why:

1. Instituted the spread offense, which can and eventually will produce bigger offensive numbers for Wyo.

2. Kept English and the defense together.

3. Went out and recruited 2 Qbs with the physical skills to run his offense.

4. Clamped down on discipline and work ethic in the program.

These things will all eventually lead to a winning program.

OK -- His One BIG Mistake:

1. Starting Benjamin and playing ACS when neither had any time in the offense, or with the players.

Both of these players missed spring ball and Benjamin missed summer, too. These have the physical skills to run this offense, but they have what, 5-6 weeks in the system right now? They are being asked to learn and perform before they are ready. In my opinion, Christiansen should have started Sween, not because he ws the most physically gifted to run the spread, but because he has the most time in the system and was #1 coming out of Spring ball. Plus, Sween is a senior. He's started 25+ Division 1 games and he showed in practive and in scrimmages that he can take care of the ball in this system and not turn it over. He should have started Sween and rotated with Benjamin until he was the better QB and left the redshirt on ACS if he could.

My take on it.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Sween has not shown himself to be an accurate passer and his mobility is less than ACS or Benjamin. I have no problem with having those two in there.

I just wish he had picked up a quality JUCO wide receiver who could be the No. 1 target. Then, Leonard and Arnold could be the No. 2 & 3 targets, and thus go against the other team's No. 2 & 3 DBs.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

we have not thrown a pic at this point in the season Sween would've thrown 6 by now we dont have recievers that is our down fall
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

CowboyCO wrote:I think Christiansen has done a very good job so far. Here's why:

1. Instituted the spread offense, which can and eventually will produce bigger offensive numbers for Wyo.

2. Kept English and the defense together.

3. Went out and recruited 2 Qbs with the physical skills to run his offense.

4. Clamped down on discipline and work ethic in the program.

These things will all eventually lead to a winning program.

OK -- His One BIG Mistake:

1. Starting Benjamin and playing ACS when neither had any time in the offense, or with the players.

Both of these players missed spring ball and Benjamin missed summer, too. These have the physical skills to run this offense, but they have what, 5-6 weeks in the system right now? They are being asked to learn and perform before they are ready. In my opinion, Christiansen should have started Sween, not because he ws the most physically gifted to run the spread, but because he has the most time in the system and was #1 coming out of Spring ball. Plus, Sween is a senior. He's started 25+ Division 1 games and he showed in practive and in scrimmages that he can take care of the ball in this system and not turn it over. He should have started Sween and rotated with Benjamin until he was the better QB and left the redshirt on ACS if he could.

My take on it.

Meh. What would our record be right now with Sween as the starter? I would suggest it would be 1-2. Same as it is now. Only now we have gained some experience for ACS and hopefully he will continue to improve as the season wears on. We know what Sween brings to the table and it just isn't enough. I really like Sween and I think he handled himself tremendously considering all he has been through the last 3 years. But he just hasn't gotten it done on the field.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

No way we can start a QB who throws it to the other team more than he throws it in the endzone. Turnovers will kick you in the nuts, and enough nut shots will take the energy out of you for the season. Sween is a good guy, and he has handled himself tremendously, but he is not even close to our best option at QB.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote:No way we can start a QB who throws it to the other team more than he throws it in the endzone. Turnovers will kick you in the nuts, and enough nut shots will take the energy out of you for the season. Sween is a good guy, and he has handled himself tremendously, but he is not even close to our best option at QB.
Agree. But back to the original post...and Christiansen's one BIG mistake...I am having a very difficult time in choosing between the following three:

1. Hiring a wet-behind the ears from no-talent-SJSU graduate assistant as OC/QB coach (what is this, learn as you go D1 football 101)? I could understand him as QB coach, sure, but OC & QB coach? Huh?

2. Not recruiting a JC WR (or two) that can catch the effing ball. Who really thought #84 would be worth a poop this season? Let's not discuss Donate as an option either.

3. Not recruiting a JC K/P that can actually kick & punt the effing ball. Not sure if it wasn't communicated or what, but the downfalls of not having a kicker / punter that can DO THE JOB is a continual thorn in Cowboy Football's Ass.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

As one who was advocating for ACS to redshirt at the beginning of the season, I'm actually pretty happy that DC didn't redshirt him. I'd actually rather see us stick with ACS at this point. Benjamin is definitely a passable QB, but I think the freshman brings a different perspective. He hasn't had time to get his head messed up (like Sween), and he plays all out IMO. We didn't really start moving the ball against CU until he went in. He's got a lot to learn, but he seems to be learning it quickly. I like the kid, and think he'll be a good QB in the future. However, he did miss at least one wide open receiver (in the third quarter I think) against CU that could have probably gone in for a TD. I realize that I'm not on the feild and am not seeing what they see, but the receiver was wide open with no one around for at least 20 yards.

What I think is now abundantly clear is the lack of any speed or hands in our receiving game. receivers aren't getting open easily, and there are way too many dropped balls still. Makes it hard for a QB when the receiver doesn't catch. I think DC knows this, and will go get some receivers next year. Upgrade talent there, and a little better on the O-line, and I think this team could really make some noise.

GO POKES!
pokeymon
Buckaroo

I agree with Wellpoke on QB. they should start ACS from now on and see if he will give us a win. I don't really like the 2 QB switching. I prefer sticking to one QB and I believe that ACS has proven himself.

I thought that ACS would start on CU game because IMO he did better in Texas game as far as decision making during the game.

Well let's just move on and WIN UNLV. I got few nephews playing for them so I will be cheering for both teams, but in my heart I want Poke to win.

GO POKE!!!!

Kiora
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

This offense requires a quick read and quick decisions.

Look at Sween's numbers in Spring and Fall and you will see that in this offense he didn't turn the ball over. Benjamin did in the Fall. I get it that Sween doesn't run like Benjamin and ACS, but with those guys at the helm they still only have 50-60% of the offense in because these guys weren't here last Spring to learn it. Right now we are playing the Vanilla spread. How long has it been since the offense scored a touchdown? 9 quarters? I agree that ACS looks a little better than Benjamin.

I hated all of the turnovers of the past, but this is a new system. I just think DC would have been smarter to start Sween based on his performance in the Spring and Fall, his greater knowledge of the system, and his experience at QB. I don't know if anybody noticed, but our offense looked HORRIBLE at CU, no matter who was running it. Some poster said ACS doesn't have his head screwed up yet. I agree - YET! I'm not sure how much he is learning from three and out...