GR's Drew Martinez

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Can anyone tell me something about this guy? I know he's verballed to UW - What is he projected to be or turn into?
sluggerchamp02
Buckaroo

He is a quarterback and safety right now but he has committed as a WR. I know he is fast and agile. He is 6'1'' 165 lbs so he has to put on some weight. I dont know what his hands are like since ive only seen him play qb.
jcintherock
Ranch Hand

I wouldn't call Drew fast at this point for a wide-out....as a matter of fact, Christiansen didn't offer him initially because of how poorly he ran during his first "exposure" to the Pokes. Only after track season when he ran better was an offer extended. Don't get me wrong though, I love this kid. Do I dare say that he is Jovon Bouknight like (yep, that's what I said). A former slippery high school QB with great escapability and adequate speed. Just like JB, after a red-shirt season and some adjusting he will be effective in this offense....and like Jovon, he has "it".

I think that genetically he will fill out to no more than a buck-ninety but that should be ideal for his body-type. A schematically smart kid who should be on the same page as the QB.....a great quality to have.

Just my humble opinion of course.

Peace
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

JC good to see you on THE Cowboy athletic forum board.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I will start this post off by saying I have only seen Drew Martinez in live action 4 times, so feel free to take my observations as you will.

As he is right now, Drew Martinez is not FBS material. I think he would be an above average player in the FCS, but even in a lower division I don't think he would be an all-star caliber player. He is far more athletic than the average Wyoming high school football player, which makes him look better than he really is. The bad thing is, every starting player on an FBS team is probably just as athletic as he is. The spread offense doesn't require blazing speed at the WR position, so he will be allright there, but it does require discipline and lots of football smarts. Based on what I've seen out of him on the field, he doesn't seem very disciplined at this point.

Of course he may explode after a reshirt year and become the next JB. That's a possibilty with any player you bring in, on scholarship or as a walk-on. That's exactly what makes recruiting an inexact science. However, I like to compare recruiting to poker. The best play won't win you every hand. Sometimes you have monster hands that get shot down on the flop. Other times you have weak hands that get just the right cards and you take the pot, but you sure as hell won;t bet on every weak hand you have and fold every monster hand you get because these things might happen. You make the best play every hand based on the odds and OVERALL, you come out a winner. Recruiting is no different. Get the big boys (even though some might be busts) and let the little guys go (even though some might become stars). OVERALL, you will build the best team in this manner.

I will say this though...Drew Martinez is the type of kid you have to go after if you are UW. You just can't let any in-state kid who has any potential what-so-ever leave the state. I hope Drew is one of those kids that becomes a star after flying under the radar during high school, but to be honest, I just don't see it.