Thoughts on the game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

1. If you've watched the first 7 games, nothing about this game really surprised you.

2. Well, that was a lot better than 50-0. I don't like the result, but I feel a lot better about the team after this game than against Air Force. These Pokes will play tough - no matter the opponent - and I sure as hell couldn't say that last year. I still don't like Whittingham, but he had some good compliments about the Pokes after the game about being well-coached and disciplined.

3. That being said, Wyoming doesn't have the offensive personnel right now to compete with the better teams in the league. The offensive line played better tonight, but Utah still got consistent pressure when they needed to and the running backs had nothing to run through. The wide receivers - well, on that last drive of the game, ACS was running around for about 10 seconds - AND NO ONE GOT OPEN??? ACS was OK - some decisions I'm sure he'd like to have back, and a few of those throws were just off. I think it was about as well as you can expect a true freshman to play right now. I don't know how you can evaluate the running backs.

4. That doesn't take the offensive coaching staff off the hook. All right fellas, you know what you have - now lets figure out something that's going to work. (Running up the middle off a shotgun snap isn't cutting it). They've scored 10 points in two games - and that one touchdown was because of a well-executed trick play.

5. I think this was the best performance by the defense this year. The defense bent and bent but didn't break until the fourth quarter after they had been on the field for forever (sounds familiar, doesn't it?)

6. If they keep the same scheme against BYU next week, they will get torn apart. Bend and don't break is great if you're playing against a quarterback who's a little bit off and doesn't quite have the zip on the ball. Max Hall will find receivers all day long if the Pokes don't get some pressure.

7. I think the tied turned on that opening possession of the third quarter. 3rd and 2, and they totally telegraphed what they were going to do with the motion by the running back. If I knew what they were going to do, you knew the Utes did. A first down there, Pokes build some momentum - and who knows?

8. Yes, that pick 6 by Crowder would have been nice. But Utah could have one of their own they could have taken back.

9. I feel a lot better about getting wins in San Diego and Fort Collins than I did before the game - but its still going to be very tough. No matter what, I can see this team is headed in the right direction.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

I got to see the first half via internets and 2nd half via Blackberry.. I gotta say, these Pokes are for real. They're not there yet, but damn they're getting close. They still lack the weapons on offense to get the job done, but the defense is superb as always. The Cowboys were leading the #16 team in the nation halfway through the 4th quarter.. at their house. If this game was played in Laramie today, Cowboys probably would have walked away with the W. With that, the o-line got creamed by Utah's crowd noise.. several ugly penalties. They're still not quite gelling yet as ACS is still getting sacked and the rushing attack isn't up to par, but they'll get there, just might not be this year. I think we have a good chance of beating SDSU and CSU, BYU will really be a toss-up, but really depends on which Cowboy team comes to play. Things are looking up, we took a pretty good football team to the wire tonight. Exciting time to be a part of Poke Nation.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

You can tell that wyoming is beginning to narrow the talent gap and are really starting to make strides... a true freshmen #16 had a chance to pick a ball off for six when Utah had 3rd n goal and it was a 10-3 game that wouldve made it 17-3 and tons of momentum... penalties hurt again but this team seems to get better every single week still gotta work on the O line
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

I think this game is a good illustration that we need to be near perfect to beat some teams, and that DC almost has them there. The pick six chance could have won it, but Utah made more mistakes than we did and still found a way to win. Overall a good effort and we should feel good about our chances this week and getting bowl eligible. It will be a dogfight but it can be done.

On our last drive, why weren't we calling timeouts and throwing hail mary's? All we needed was one big play and an onside kickoff recovery. A minute and a half is a lot of time when you control the ball and the playcalling. I don't get that.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Fullback41 wrote:I think this game is a good illustration that we need to be near perfect to beat some teams, and that DC almost has them there. The pick six chance could have won it, but Utah made more mistakes than we did and still found a way to win. Overall a good effort and we should feel good about our chances this week and getting bowl eligible. It will be a dogfight but it can be done.

On our last drive, why weren't we calling timeouts and throwing hail mary's? All we needed was one big play and an onside kickoff recovery. A minute and a half is a lot of time when you control the ball and the playcalling. I don't get that.
I'll tell you why. It's because their secondary had absolutely ZERO problems covering our receivers down the field. I think there was ONE opportunity where ACS scrambled for like 10 seconds where there could have been a 25+ yard completion, and obviously the ball was a little bit overthrown on that attempt.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Been lurking this site for awhile, first post.

I heard that Wynn lost his redshirt when he came in the second half. True? Overheard some Utah folks next to me discussing that.

Also, why doesnt English try a man with a zone on top?

Edit*
I feel bad for that INT going on ACS' stats.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Subcanis wrote:Been lurking this site for awhile, first post.

I heard that Wynn lost his redshirt when he came in the second half. True? Overheard some Utah folks next to me discussing that.

Also, why doesnt English try a man with a zone on top?

Edit*
I feel bad for that INT going on ACS' stats.
I think you are correct on Wynn...I heard the same thing from some Ute fans. As far as the D...and your question...I don't know. I do know, every game, Prosinski gets smoked (Utah's first TD)...and maybe that has something to do with it. I am proud the kid is a Wyoming kid, starting for Wyoming, but his pass coverage is horrible.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

We sure made enough mistakes (penaltys) and had enough dropped balls (on both the offense and defense) that we could have and should have won this game, but WOW, has this team improved. We are getting closer every game and I am really excited for the future of Wyoming football.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
socalpoke82
Buckaroo

3. That being said, Wyoming doesn't have the offensive personnel right now to compete with the better teams in the league. The offensive line played better tonight, but Utah still got consistent pressure when they needed to and the running backs had nothing to run through. The wide receivers - well, on that last drive of the game, ACS was running around for about 10 seconds - AND NO ONE GOT OPEN??? ACS was OK - some decisions I'm sure he'd like to have back, and a few of those throws were just off. I think it was about as well as you can expect a true freshman to play right now. I don't know how you can evaluate the running backs.

I agree with this. We unfortunately do not have a big play wide receiver with good hands and breakaway speed...yet. Hopefully recruiting helps with that. But, yeah, if you want to compete with the big boys you gotta have really athletic guys like that. Even csewe have morton and greer (not necessarily the absolute top of the league but they do have big play potential). So, until we have the personnel, just have to find a way to maximize the output with what we've got.

Other than that, I think we're on the right track. A really strong effort by the pokes for 60 minutes. And I definitely wonder what wouldve become of that drive with the unfortunate interception. It looked like a well designed play, but no offense to benjamin, but I don't understand why they went to him in that situation. Maybe the element of surprise? I'm hoping Wyoming responds the way they did the last time they had a 2 game losing skid. By winning 3 in a row. That would be super. :cool:
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
Fullback41 wrote:I think this game is a good illustration that we need to be near perfect to beat some teams, and that DC almost has them there. The pick six chance could have won it, but Utah made more mistakes than we did and still found a way to win. Overall a good effort and we should feel good about our chances this week and getting bowl eligible. It will be a dogfight but it can be done.

I'll tell you why. It's because their secondary had absolutely ZERO problems covering our receivers down the field. I think there was ONE opportunity where ACS scrambled for like 10 seconds where there could have been a 25+ yard completion, and obviously the ball was a little bit overthrown on that attempt.
Understandable, but it seems like the coaches quit with a minute and a half to go, crazier things have happened. Maybe it get tipped to one of our receivers for a TD, or pass interference, however unlikely I would have preferred 4 bombs downfield and calling timeout to stop the clock.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!