NDSU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Hayduke
Cowpoke

ZapPoke wrote:
joshvanklomp wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:NDSU would be the only FBS program in ND. Intriguing to say the least.

I think it could work well for them; 5 million per year would put their budget in MWC ballpark.
UND would follow them up again like the annoying little brother that they are :lol:
One word Mr. Vanklomp: HOCKEY :D
Damn straight, hockey is #1 at UND. That's my undergrad school. It will always be #1 in Grand Forks, as will football remain #1 in Fargo. (If you ever get a chance, go to a UND hockey game at the Ralph in Grand Forks. A great experience.)

I would suspect that *if* the Fargo school would move to FBS, UND would follow. Unlike other UND fans, I believe that UND is where they should be...Big Sky Conference. I also believe that the Fargo school should go FBS. The population of the F-M market and their current popularity dictate it. Otherwise, they will remain in the third tier, FCS. (Yeah, FBS is the top tier, but it's broken down into two levels...UW and CSU are at the second level and we all know it.)
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa
JohnnySunshine
Buckaroo

There would be no reason to think NDSU wouldn't be a mid level "2nd tier team" in FBS. They certainly wouldn't be a P5, but they also wouldn't be "the Idaho State" of FCS. Lot of MAC/SunBelt etc teams they are already better than.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 12 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote:NDSU would be the only FBS program in ND. Intriguing to say the least.

I think it could work well for them; 5 million per year would put their budget in MWC ballpark.
Agree. Probably would take time. Boise State is an example of moving from D2 to FBS. Took them a while to win consistently. Look at what the Broncos are doing now... playing in and winning (former) BCS bowls and top tier bowl games. The program and school is reaping the success of the transition. They sacrificed time for potential future reward. I bet if BSU joins a Power Five Conference, they'd be in the running to eventually play in the Playoff.
lakesbison
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

NDSU can be mountain west easily. Und offers nothing no one even cares about hockey it's laughable.

Ndsu with an expanded dome to 25,000 packed to the rafters beats other mwc stadium attendences of 18,000 in a 42,000 stadium don't ya think?

Ndsu has all the momentum and marketing and exposure ready to jump to mwc.

Ndsu has a 44 million basketball arena and the team is 11-5 now after a big dance win .

Ndsu has a top 25 wrestling program a great baseball stadium and volleyball soccer are good and softball has 4 ncaa trips.

Ndsu is in the fastest growing area in the country money is pouring in they just need incentive to give more and mountain west is that incentive.

Ndsu is ranked #32 sagarin and would be a top 2-3 team in mwc now

We in Texas for 4th straight title with 20,000 traveling fans that would be a great resume for future bowl attendences.

Can't wait to see some wyoming coaches down here tomorrow
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

FYI, wrestling is not a MWC sponsored sport. Wyoming and Air Force are in the WWC while Boise is in the PAC for wrestling.

But also, what is NDSU's annual athletic budget?
lakesbison
Cowpoke

NDSU 24.5 Million athletic budget. Easily could be $30 - 35 million with a competent and aggressive fundraising team. Down here in frisco they are spending $10 million this weekend alone!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

So what division do they fit better in, the Mountain or the West?
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I would rather have NDSU in the MWC than SJSU.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 621 times
Been liked: 255 times

WYCowboy wrote:I would rather have NDSU in the MWC than SJSU.
+1 Boise can go to the other division
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 134 times

If it did not negatively impact conference money too much, I might prefer MWC-14 to ease future scheduling.

7 division games
2 cross division games
3 OOC games

With the playoff, I think OOC games against P5 teams will get harder to schedule. Personally, I would rather play more in conference games than OOC against other G5 or FCS schools. Just me. Naturally, we could do that now by playing more cross division games.

Either way, I would not be opposed to NDSU coming aboard.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
lakesbison
Cowpoke

NDSU title game radio show had 3 NDSU players on and they spent 5 minutes just thanking Coach Bohl and all he did for NDSU and that he was an incredible coach and they plan to come to Wyoming for a game next year. Thought you should hear that

Ps. I asked them how they would've done in MWC last year. Billy Turner 2nd round draft pick of Miami and QB Brock Jensen said "we would've walked through that conference last year with thier team!"

Pss. Title game at 11am wyoming time espn 2. You'll see a carbon copy of wyoming
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

lakesbison wrote:NDSU title game radio show had 3 NDSU players on and they spent 5 minutes just thanking Coach Bohl and all he did for NDSU and that he was an incredible coach and they plan to come to Wyoming for a game next year. Thought you should hear that

Ps. I asked them how they would've done in MWC last year. Billy Turner 2nd round draft pick of Miami and QB Brock Jensen said "we would've walked through that conference last year with thier team!"
1) Glad to have Bohl
2) In regards to Brock's comment, I echo Cousin Eddie, "Now, you just hold your wad there, fella." The MWC isn't a powerhouse by any stretch,. But to have the cajonies to sit and say they would "walk" through teams like USU, BSU, SDSU, Nevada, hell even Wyoming last year would be bold. I get it, the biZon are a great FCS team. But I even think Bohl was surprised this year in some his comments saying, "This is a new league of football." Even he knows it. It is like the people that say Alabama or Oregon could beat the Raiders in the NFL. Bull. Shi. Not true.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

58-3

That will be the career records of all the NDSU seniors who played their entire careers at NDSU if they win tomorrow.

58 wins, including 4 wins over FBS opponents and 4 National Titles.

How impressive would it be to say those kids averaged more National Championship wins per season than losses?
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 41 times

lakesbison wrote:NDSU can be mountain west easily. Und offers nothing no one even cares about hockey it's laughable.

Ndsu with an expanded dome to 25,000 packed to the rafters beats other mwc stadium attendences of 18,000 in a 42,000 stadium don't ya think?

Ndsu has a 44 million basketball arena and the team is 11-5 now after a big dance win .

Ndsu has a top 25 wrestling program a great baseball stadium and volleyball soccer are good and softball has 4 ncaa trips.

Ndsu is in the fastest growing area in the country money is pouring in they just need incentive to give more and mountain west is that incentive.

We in Texas for 4th straight title with 20,000 traveling fans that would be a great resume for future bowl attendences.

You have no credibility after that first statement lakesbutt-head. To whom is Hockey laughable? Seven national championships is laughable? A nicer hockey arena than most pro teams have is laughable? Also, I seem to recall UND playing in football national championships in the not too distant past. You way overestimate Moo U. And there will not be as much money pouring into ND for awhile. Oil is done for at least 18 months.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

At least NDSU has a nickname/mascot...
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Oh my......
:popcorn:
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

ZapPoke wrote:
lakesbison wrote:NDSU can be mountain west easily. Und offers nothing no one even cares about hockey it's laughable.

You have no credibility after that first statement lakesbutt-head. To whom is Hockey laughable? Seven national championships is laughable? A nicer hockey arena than most pro teams have is laughable? Also, I seem to recall UND playing in football national championships in the not too distant past. You way overestimate Moo U. And there will not be as much money pouring into ND for awhile. Oil is done for at least 18 months.
Not gonna lie, I thought all the same things when I first read his post. Have no problem with NDSU, but I do have a problem when people let their bias/hatred for another group (school) cloud their perspective of reality.

And just FYI, I (and quite a few others) care for Hockey.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

Ndsu is in the fastest growing area in the country money is pouring in they just need incentive to give more and mountain west is that

Last edited by Dutchnation on Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dutchnation
Ranch Hand

I agree+10000.
Hayduke
Cowpoke

ZapPoke wrote:
Agree.

Hockey at UND is no joke. It is big time. Ranked #1 in the country again. 7 national championships at the highest level of college sports. UND hockey doesn't have to watch an "Oregon/Ohio State" real division I championship from the second or third tier. They've lived that game many times.

Zach Parise, Jonathan Toews, TJ Oshie, Zajac, etc... millions up on millions on NHL team payrolls.

The last four Stanley Cup champions have had team captains from...UND.

The winning goal for the Olympic gold medal...scored by a UND player.

Ralph Engelstad Arena has been called the nicest hockey arena in...the world. Not in college hockey..that's a given...in THE WORLD.

etc, etc. etc...

Fargo has had an awesome run. At the FCS level, there isn't a team that compares to their last four years. Incredible. I even agree that they should go FBS.

But, UND is the $$$ school. The alumni there have more of it. They are going to poney up to keep up. They always do. They are building a full size indoor practice facility that they hope to be ready for spring football practice. Rumors of a new stadium for football are starting to fly around Grand Forks. They hate being behind Fargo in anything.

So, UND will always be a premier college hockey school. That's #1 there. But, it's not a joke. But, just for fun, UND catches up and usually exceeds Fargo in football and basketball. Historically, that's always been true. Look it up. It'll probably happen again.

As for the nickname, yup...UND had theirs stripped through a very bizarre set of political circumstances. But, I would imagine they will have a new one by the end of this spring semester.

Next fall, they play the Pokes. Through my graduate program, I grew and continue to love UW and their football team. But, when I show up to that specific game in Laramie, I have to go with my boyhood home and my undergrad school. Sorry folks, but I'll be wearing Fighting Sioux gear. (wearing gear from both schools is just dumb..) I figure UW will win. I won't be hearbroken with that at all.
“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”
Frank Zappa