4-3 Defense

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
23handicap
Buckaroo

It's time to switch back to the 4-3 defense. As you have already seen, our depth at linebackers are OVERRATED and too slow to get to the QB. So why even blitz them? I say switch to back to the 4-3 and rush 4.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I'm a huge fan of the 4-3... I hate, absolutly HATE a 3-4 defense. I run a 6-3 with my youth team and I swear it could do better than a 3-4 in D1
I'm good for 3!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

3-4 works if you have a talented group of linebackers with different skill sets. You need bigger guys in the middle and quicker guys on the edge. Our linebackers aren't bad, but they are all kind of the exact same player. You need specialized skill sets for a 3-4 linebacker.

Not matter if you have a 4-3 or a 3-4 you need a good speed rusher to disrupt passing teams like BYU. That is what we need more than anything else. Patrick Chuckwurah where are you?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'd be more inclined to just blame the entire secondary - they start 10 yards off of the receivers, to the QB need all of 0.5 seconds' worth of protection before throwing.
dapokes
Ranch Hand

I noticed today that we ran the 4-3 before I left in disgrace in the second qtr....

it was fletch, givens, purcell, and unrein...

purcell looks like a keeper for sure
thirtyseven
Ranch Hand

The positive of the 3-4 over the 4-3 is recruiting. It is much easier to recruit linebackers than defensive linemen. I think we need to stick with the 3-4. I agree we don't have the depth or talent at all of the linebacker positions but let our new coach Fanoga do some recruiting and lets see what happens.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

thirtyseven wrote:The positive of the 3-4 over the 4-3 is recruiting. It is much easier to recruit linebackers than defensive linemen. I think we need to stick with the 3-4. I agree we don't have the depth or talent at all of the linebacker positions but let our new coach Fanoga do some recruiting and lets see what happens.
Doesn't help with Hendricks & Knapton hurt on the sideline either...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Of course any defense requires talent... but a 3-4 requires a monster at NT. Then again a 4-3 requires 2 good DT's. The more I study it, the 3-3-5 stack is something I like against the modern spread offense which most teams run now.

We could talk X's and O's all day but it still comes down to Talent, execution, and coaching with any offense/defense.
I'm good for 3!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

With Hendricks out this week and with Purcell (isn't he another true frosh?) playing pretty well (relative, I know) against byu, I'd bet you'll see a 4-3 against sdsu. Coach C was pretty vague about his intentions for defense with BH out in the papers. I think he stated when he got here that he was more of a 4-3 believer but realized he had the personnel and recent success to stay at a 3-4 for the foreseeable future.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

We are running the 4-3. I don't like it one bit.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

OrediggerPoke wrote:We are running the 4-3. I don't like it one bit.
We could run any defensive scheme in the world and look like complete dog s**t right now. Our d-line is completely unable to put any pressure on the QB, and our secondary just plain sucks. This season is over.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:We are running the 4-3. I don't like it one bit.
We could run any defensive scheme in the world and look like complete dog s**t right now. Our d-line is completely unable to put any pressure on the QB, and our secondary just plain sucks. This season is over.
Not quite yet.

Go Pokes!