Keys to the Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

It's really scary, because the keys for this game are basically the same as against BYU - and we all saw how that turned out.

1. Offensive line must produce - Open holes, keep ACS upright.
2. Defense must get pressure - SDSU is a good passing team, bordering on great. If you leave the quarterback back there, he will find the receivers and they will score touchdowns.
3. Play up to their abilities - With the exception of New Mexico, they haven't had a complete game yet where the offense and defense are both playing up to their potential. This would be a great time to start.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Pass coverage? We should probably become a friend of it, or SDSU will have a good day through the air.
ImageImageImageImage
socalpoke82
Buckaroo

Do the exact opposite of what we did last weekend. Show up and be ready to play, and hopefully not have any lingering effects from last week. If the Pokes want a shot at a bowl, they have to play like it. So they need to come out pumped and ready to go, and everyone needs to execute.
2. Defense must get pressure - SDSU is a good passing team, bordering on great. If you leave the quarterback back there, he will find the receivers and they will score touchdowns.
I agree that they must get pressure, but I would be hesitant to do a lot of blitzing. When SDSU played CSU they got a lot of they're passing yards because the rams would blitz and the aztecs were in a max protect where they had like 7 guys back blocking and Lindley had all day to go after the weak man coverage, and they have talented receivers. So, hopefully Fletcher, Unrein, and Givens can wreak some havoc and force some bad throws, and hopefully the secondary is on its game.

Another key - Force some turnovers and capitalize. Its been awhile on this one and that would be hugenormous.

Also - Anyone know if Vincent Brown is playing. or is he still out?

GO POKES!!!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

For me, throw all the match ups out the door in this one. This game simply comes down to who shows up at the stadium with a sack and is ready to play. Both teams got humiliated last week. Which one is going to man up and play through it.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

socalpoke82 wrote: Also - Anyone know if Vincent Brown is playing. or is he still out?
He's out for the rest of the year.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

socalpoke82 wrote:Do the exact opposite of what we did last weekend. Show up and be ready to play, and hopefully not have any lingering effects from last week. If the Pokes want a shot at a bowl, they have to play like it. So they need to come out pumped and ready to go, and everyone needs to execute.
I agree that they must get pressure, but I would be hesitant to do a lot of blitzing. When SDSU played CSU they got a lot of they're passing yards because the rams would blitz and the aztecs were in a max protect where they had like 7 guys back blocking and Lindley had all day to go after the weak man coverage, and they have talented receivers. So, hopefully Fletcher, Unrein, and Givens can wreak some havoc and force some bad throws, and hopefully the secondary is on its game.

Another key - Force some turnovers and capitalize. Its been awhile on this one and that would be hugenormous.

Also - Anyone know if Vincent Brown is playing. or is he still out?

GO POKES!!!

One of the SDSU fans on the MWC board said Brown will not play in this game - not sure if that will hold true or not.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
socalpoke82
Buckaroo

not that I wish the guy any ill will, he's a good player. But, as a cowboys fan, it doesn't hurt my feelings knowing they're without their biggest weapon. Not that Sampson is a slouch, but he wasn't as much a factor until Brown went out.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

The key to the game is everyone in all aspects to play well
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

I just don't have a good feeling about this game. I expect SDSU to hit the Pokes will some big passing plays and conversely, I don't know how anyone can feel confident in this offense right now - where its either feast or famine. (I'm hoping the SDSU defense is bad enough that its feast).
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

evilpoke wrote:I just don't have a good feeling about this game. I expect SDSU to hit the Pokes will some big passing plays and conversely, I don't know how anyone can feel confident in this offense right now - where its either feast or famine. (I'm hoping the SDSU defense is bad enough that its feast).
The one thing is that if their offense tries to live on big plays, OUR offense better make sure they can move the ball and run up the time of possession. Because if that's the case, we can win this by grabbing an interception or two and never letting their offense see the field.

But if we can't move the ball, this is game over. I have zero confidence in our secondary. If they can step up, I'll be happy to eat crow, but I just don't see it.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
evilpoke wrote:I just don't have a good feeling about this game. I expect SDSU to hit the Pokes will some big passing plays and conversely, I don't know how anyone can feel confident in this offense right now - where its either feast or famine. (I'm hoping the SDSU defense is bad enough that its feast).
The one thing is that if their offense tries to live on big plays, OUR offense better make sure they can move the ball and run up the time of possession. Because if that's the case, we can win this by grabbing an interception or two and never letting their offense see the field.

But if we can't move the ball, this is game over. I have zero confidence in our secondary. If they can step up, I'll be happy to eat crow, but I just don't see it.
It's not just the secondary - but the ability to get pressure on the quarterback. The Pokes get pressure on choice plays - like they could get pressure whenever they want, just choose not to for some reason?

I'm hoping for a huge game from Fletcher.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

evilpoke wrote: It's not just the secondary - but the ability to get pressure on the quarterback. The Pokes get pressure on choice plays - like they could get pressure whenever they want, just choose not to for some reason?

I guess I'd have to agree, sort of... but it's like the defensive line and the secondary plays after completely different tactics. The secondary leaves a ten yard hole for the quarterback to complete passes in way before Fletcher or anybody else can get to the quarterback anyways. Why not make sure to have the receivers tightly covered for at least a couple of seconds so the quarterback can't just dump it off for the easy completion every time?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
evilpoke wrote: It's not just the secondary - but the ability to get pressure on the quarterback. The Pokes get pressure on choice plays - like they could get pressure whenever they want, just choose not to for some reason?

I guess I'd have to agree, sort of... but it's like the defensive line and the secondary plays after completely different tactics. The secondary leaves a ten yard hole for the quarterback to complete passes in way before Fletcher or anybody else can get to the quarterback anyways. Why not make sure to have the receivers tightly covered for at least a couple of seconds so the quarterback can't just dump it off for the easy completion every time?
We have to play loose because our secondary is not fast enough to run down a receiver that gets by them. Our team speed is absolutely awful. I really hope that HCDC can fix that soon.
evilpoke
Ranch Hand

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

The strategy works ok if the opposing quarterback is mediocre - the passes aren't going to be as fast or accurate, which allows the defensive back to break up the pass or perhaps make the interception. You also don't get beat for the big play. See Weber State, UNLV.

The problem comes when you have a good to great quarterback. See BYU.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

We have to play loose because our secondary is not fast enough to run down a receiver that gets by them. Our team speed is absolutely awful. I really hope that HCDC can fix that soon.

Yes, I fully agree that is why we play so far off the receivers. It's too bad, but that is how it is. That is also why we get so few interceptions. We will get there, but not overnight.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

How can you say our secondary doesn't have speed? Did they fake their stats or something?
Tashaun Gipson's best 40 time is 4.37, Marcell's is 4.36. Chris Prosinski has been clocked at 4.50...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

Those times are from NFL Draft Scout, by the way.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:How can you say our secondary doesn't have speed? Did they fake their stats or something?
Tashaun Gipson's best 40 time is 4.37, Marcell's is 4.36. Chris Prosinski has been clocked at 4.50...
Lol if those are their actual 40 times. 4.37 is NFL caliber speed. Those guys are probably more about 4.5.

Teams always bump up their players 40 times, where did you find that those times were clocked by an NFL scout?
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

calpoke25 wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:How can you say our secondary doesn't have speed? Did they fake their stats or something?
Lol if those are their actual 40 times. 4.37 is NFL caliber speed. Those guys are probably more about 4.5.

Teams always bump up their players 40 times, where did you find that those times were clocked by an NFL scout?
They're from the organization NFL Draft Scout - the one that updates profiles for players that COULD end up in the NFL draft. Those are their top 40 times. NFL Draft Scout keeps three 40 times (if possible) for players. High, Low, and just what they call 40 time - which is a median.

For Marcell, they report "40 Time: 4.44 40 Low: 4.36 40 High: 4.53 "
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote: They're from the organization NFL Draft Scout - the one that updates profiles for players that COULD end up in the NFL draft. Those are their top 40 times. NFL Draft Scout keeps three 40 times (if possible) for players. High, Low, and just what they call 40 time - which is a median.

For Marcell, they report "40 Time: 4.44 40 Low: 4.36 40 High: 4.53 "
Well it depends with what method they measured those 40 times. I'm still going to say the Gibson's are 4.5 material. Even if they are a little faster, they don't seem very quick. Maybe they have good straight line speed, but a corner back is rarely running a straight line.

That being said, even if they are slow, there still has to be a way to better use them in coverage rather than just sitting them off 10 yards.

Keep them up and bump receivers at the line and play a zone more towards the flat, letting safeties take care of over the top stuff. Just do this every now and then...something to mix up our coverages a little bit.