Recruiting?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
evilpoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

I know its only two days after the fact, but any news on how the Border War win has affected recruiting?

- The bowl game in DC's first season has to help
- Also in the head-to-head matchup with CSU
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Maybe too soon to tell. However, something to look at into next year, we not only play Texas, TCU, BYU, and Utah, but BSU as well (another top 10 team).

Just me or is Wyoming's schedule getting more difficult?
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

The schedule is difficult.. but we'll have to take some lumps, like the rest of the MWC has had to, to get our program out there. If DC can keep recruiting his guys and make this team into a yearly winner, the gap will begin to narrow vs. teams like Texas, Boise, TCU, BYU, Missouri, Oregon, and others we have scheduled in the future.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Its tougher but next year we will be tougher Prosinski and the Gipsons will be 3 year starters Gary will be better ACS' second year JC recievers DCs first full class not having to honor Joe Glenns offers, we have a very good chance to put wyoming on the map next year with a chance to upset Boise State at home and i cant wait to be at that game what a fun one it will be! We are definently on the rise I think 5th place in conference play is the lowest we should ever be for a few years
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

gopokes1399 wrote:Its tougher but next year we will be tougher Prosinski and the Gipsons will be 3 year starters Gary will be better ACS' second year JC recievers DCs first full class not having to honor Joe Glenns offers, we have a very good chance to put wyoming on the map next year with a chance to upset Boise State at home and i cant wait to be at that game what a fun one it will be! We are definently on the rise I think 5th place in conference play is the lowest we should ever be for a few years
Well, if we can just beat Airforce (technically a blowout, but they only scored 10 points) and Utah (we were ahead of them the majority of the game) then I believe we will be in the top part of the conference. Though, it would be great if we can also blow out BYU. Repay them for the last couple years.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Hopefully the Bowl game & potential Bowl win will help us sign some studs. I look forward to signing day as much as the home opener each season. I think we really need to start having some recruiting classes ranked in the top 60 to start competing with BYU, TCU, & Utah on a consistent basis like we did in the 80's and early 90's. I realize the rankings by Rivals & Scout are not the end all, (TCU's haven't been in the top 4 but look where they are), but comparing apples to apples, that is about where the top 3 have been ranked the last few years. Then player development, etc, needs to turn the underrated 60th ranked class, year after year into a top 40 team, then start trying to crack the top 25. AFA has managed to be around the top 40th team in the country the last few years, and we need to catch them, we have some advantages over them, to where it should be easier to recruit some players to Wyoming.

CU's season has caused Danny Spond (4*-rivals) to de-commit, so we may be back in that horse race.

We have an offer to Mike Harris (4*-Rivals) a Juco RB which is interesting both in that we are recruiting a Juco RB and that he is 4*. I have questioned for years why we haven't seemed to even go after higher ranked players. Looking at this years recruits on Rivals there are 9 with 4*- which may be more 4* guys than the prior staff ever recruited. You can't get em if you don't try. I am realistic and know we aren't going to get 25 3-5* players like some schools, but you can only field 11 players at a time, so 6 studs a year for 4 years gives us a chance to compete with the big boys even though we may not have the depth.

I am really curious to see what kind of recruiting class DC can get with a full year to work on it. As stated above, the next 2 months are just as exciting to me as the beginning of Fall Camp leading up to the home opener.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

gopokes1399 wrote:We are definently on the rise I think 5th place in conference play is the lowest we should ever be for a few years
I like those thoughts. Reminds me of all the CSewe fans at the beginning of the year talking of a 9 or 10 win season in 2009. Hopefully DC, staff, and team can learn from the lammies failures...and maintain the improvements.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
dapokes
Ranch Hand

Fullback41 wrote:Hopefully the Bowl game & potential Bowl win will help us sign some studs. I look forward to signing day as much as the home opener each season. I think we really need to start having some recruiting classes ranked in the top 60 to start competing with BYU, TCU, & Utah on a consistent basis like we did in the 80's and early 90's. I realize the rankings by Rivals & Scout are not the end all, (TCU's haven't been in the top 4 but look where they are), but comparing apples to apples, that is about where the top 3 have been ranked the last few years. Then player development, etc, needs to turn the underrated 60th ranked class, year after year into a top 40 team, then start trying to crack the top 25. AFA has managed to be around the top 40th team in the country the last few years, and we need to catch them, we have some advantages over them, to where it should be easier to recruit some players to Wyoming.

CU's season has caused Danny Spond (4*-rivals) to de-commit, so we may be back in that horse race.

We have an offer to Mike Harris (4*-Rivals) a Juco RB which is interesting both in that we are recruiting a Juco RB and that he is 4*. I have questioned for years why we haven't seemed to even go after higher ranked players. Looking at this years recruits on Rivals there are 9 with 4*- which may be more 4* guys than the prior staff ever recruited. You can't get em if you don't try. I am realistic and know we aren't going to get 25 3-5* players like some schools, but you can only field 11 players at a time, so 6 studs a year for 4 years gives us a chance to compete with the big boys even though we may not have the depth.

I am really curious to see what kind of recruiting class DC can get with a full year to work on it. As stated above, the next 2 months are just as exciting to me as the beginning of Fall Camp leading up to the home opener.
Who are we going after with the 4-stars? I have scout.com not rivals :(

I'd love to know.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Danny Spond
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... pond-86338

Mike Harris
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... ris-102928

Those are the only no-commit 4 stars I can find.

We did give offers to a bunch of others who already committed to other schools, though...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Danny Spond
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... pond-86338

Mike Harris
http://rivals.yahoo.com/wyoming/footbal ... ris-102928

Those are the only no-commit 4 stars I can find.

We did give offers to a bunch of others who already committed to other schools, though...
Mike Harris has only recieved an offer from Wyoming, none of his other interests. So it looks like he may come here to Laramie. The other one, is hard to say. He has recieved more offers, and seems to be only somewhat interested in the Cowboys.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

yeah, most of the rival 4s are 3s on scout, and most of the 4s have committed elsewhere, but the point i was trying to make was at least we are going after them, usually before they were 4s. Scout takes them off your list once they commit elsewhere so it is hard to see the studs we were recruiting. hell 6 studly 3s would be an improvement over most years.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Mike Harris runs a 4.4 as a running back that is an unreal 40 for a RB
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:Mike Harris runs a 4.4 as a running back that is an unreal 40 for a RB
Nah, that's hardly unreal. It's good speed, but not unreal by any means. Alvester Alexander was timed at 4.41, Devin Moore ran a 4.35, and Darrell Scott who just left CU, ran a 4.32 40. Reggie Bush ran a 4.33 at the NFL combine. Jeff Demps for Gators runs a 4.29 40, as does Jake Sharp for Kansas.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

I like this:
"Our Coaches are out all over the country recruiting!"

(from DC's Twitter)
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Nah, that's hardly unreal. It's good speed, but not unreal by any means. Alvester Alexander was timed at 4.41, Devin Moore ran a 4.35, and Darrell Scott who just left CU, ran a 4.32 40. Reggie Bush ran a 4.33 at the NFL combine. Jeff Demps for Gators runs a 4.29 40, as does Jake Sharp for Kansas.
are those running backs not very good? or fast? jeff demps is the fastest in the nation possibly but i guess a 4.4 is the new 5.2
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster

gopokes1399 wrote:
are those running backs not very good? or fast? jeff demps is the fastest in the nation possibly but i guess a 4.4 is the new 5.2
My point was that 4.4 runningbacks aren't THAT rare. While speed is great, I'll take a back who knows where the holes will open and who then proceeds to get through them ;)
Also, 40 speeds don't always say a lot as there are players who are very fast running when not weighed down by equipment, and then they look average at best on the field.

Devin Moore has the speed, but he still has trouble finding the lanes, which is why he's on the Seahawks practice squad rather than the team. They obviously liked his work ethic and physical attributes or he wouldn't have been signed in the first place, but if he's to make the actual team, he will still have to learn a lot. If we can find a guy in college that is reasonably fast on the field, AND who can find the lanes, then we're gold.