TV Exposure and Bonus Money

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

Can any one explain in detail how we receive bonus money for televised games? I know Hawaii has their own deal, and Boise gets a lions share correct? But for the 10 remaining teams, how does it work out? Will we be getting all of the bonus money this week by being on ESPN 2? Or is that split 10 ways? At the end of the year, do the 10 teams all end up with the same amount of bonus money?

Sorry if I'm ignorant and this is common knowledge among fans, but I can't seem to get it right in my mind lol
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

cali2wyo wrote:Can any one explain in detail how we receive bonus money for televised games? I know Hawaii has their own deal, and Boise gets a lions share correct? But for the 10 remaining teams, how does it work out? Will we be getting all of the bonus money this week by being on ESPN 2? Or is that split 10 ways? At the end of the year, do the 10 teams all end up with the same amount of bonus money?

Sorry if I'm ignorant and this is common knowledge among fans, but I can't seem to get it right in my mind lol
Boise gets theirs guaranteed. Hawaii gets paid off their own t.v. deal. The other ten members split a pool of bonus money. That just changed this year. Before the other ten members had to appear on a big network to get bonus money.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

So basically, we'll be getting the same amount of bonus revenue as teams who made more or less TV appearances? So the only team who stands to have an advantage is boise since they're the only ones who can possibly make more than anyone else?
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

From what I can tell, this is the last year of the CBS contract.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Cowboy Junky wrote:
cali2wyo wrote:Can any one explain in detail how we receive bonus money for televised games? I know Hawaii has their own deal, and Boise gets a lions share correct? But for the 10 remaining teams, how does it work out? Will we be getting all of the bonus money this week by being on ESPN 2? Or is that split 10 ways? At the end of the year, do the 10 teams all end up with the same amount of bonus money?

Boise gets theirs guaranteed. Hawaii gets paid off their own t.v. deal. The other ten members split a pool of bonus money. That just changed this year. Before the other ten members had to appear on a big network to get bonus money.
I still don't really understand where the bonus money comes from? Now that they are just splitting it, isn't that just a conference payout? So, yay, they are paying out whatever they normally would but calling some of it bonus money?

I hope we get a better deal in 2020 (or is it 2019).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

:? I thought the 500K went straight to the schools so everyone doesn't get equal pay.....
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

BJC wrote::? I thought the 500K went straight to the schools so everyone doesn't get equal pay.....
That's what I thought too. You get 500K each time you appear on ESPN or ESPN2. Since Boise has the most appearances on those channels, they get the most money. Has this changed?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

COS Cowboy wrote:
BJC wrote::? I thought the 500K went straight to the schools so everyone doesn't get equal pay.....
That's what I thought too. You get 500K each time you appear on ESPN or ESPN2. Since Boise has the most appearances on those channels, they get the most money. Has this changed?
That is what I thought until reading Junky's post. Hopefully, Junky can explain.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Apparently it changed this year. I've seen nothing confirmed from UW but from articles at other schools it appears the West side complained because they don't get to play Boise every year and Boise is guaranteed so many games on ESPN so it gives the MTN more chances at Bonus money.

How I understand it. We still get all our bonus money for games not involving Boise so we get 500,000 for the AF game and will get bonus money for the USU game(I think thats on ESPN or 2 right). FOr the games played against boise they still get all of their bonus but the bonus we(and whoever else plays them for a bonus game) gets put into a pool and split between the 10 teams. Kinda sucks for us but I understand the reasoning for the West side.

Can't wait until this contract is over and we might be able to get rid of this bonus poop. Contract should be even.
cali2wyo
A Real Cowboy

TSpoke wrote:Apparently it changed this year. I've seen nothing confirmed from UW but from articles at other schools it appears the West side complained because they don't get to play Boise every year and Boise is guaranteed so many games on ESPN so it gives the MTN more chances at Bonus money.

How I understand it. We still get all our bonus money for games not involving Boise so we get 500,000 for the AF game and will get bonus money for the USU game(I think thats on ESPN or 2 right). FOr the games played against boise they still get all of their bonus but the bonus we(and whoever else plays them for a bonus game) gets put into a pool and split between the 10 teams. Kinda sucks for us but I understand the reasoning for the West side.

Can't wait until this contract is over and we might be able to get rid of this bonus poop. Contract should be even.
Ok, this makes more sense. So for this weekend, we'll only be getting 10% of our bonus money (since it's against boise it'll be shared between 10 schools) but for air force and utah state games we'll get 100% of our bonus money. So Boise earns WAYYY more than anyone else, but some schools can still finish ahead of others. Thanks!
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

Here is the article I saw that explains it too. It hurts us but we end up getting a piece of the pie for others games against Boise too not enought to make up for what we would have gotten in that one game. SO Boise ends up making the same and everyone else evens out some with others still making more and less than others but not as extreme as it was.

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/oct/16 ... -earn-the/
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 2 times

From Matt Sarz
http://mattsarzsports.com/Contract/Game ... iZaYm5mrrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I wonder how much BSU really helps us? Where do you think the conference would be if we didn't try to recruit SUDS and BSU back and also not invited HI or SJSU? How do you think that would have impacted WYO? Hindsight is always 20-20 but these are questions I've often thought about.

I never think uneven revenue distribution is a good idea. Apparently our leaders thought it was necessary. Was it?
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

TSpoke wrote:Here is the article I saw that explains it too. It hurts us but we end up getting a piece of the pie for others games against Boise too not enought to make up for what we would have gotten in that one game. SO Boise ends up making the same and everyone else evens out some with others still making more and less than others but not as extreme as it was.

So according to that article, we will get $850K, (2nd only to Boise's 1.1M) So we get $500K from the AFA game, $300K from the USU game and $50K from the Boise game?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

COS Cowboy wrote:
TSpoke wrote:Here is the article I saw that explains it too. It hurts us but we end up getting a piece of the pie for others games against Boise too not enought to make up for what we would have gotten in that one game. SO Boise ends up making the same and everyone else evens out some with others still making more and less than others but not as extreme as it was.

So according to that article, we will get $850K, (2nd only to Boise's 1.1M) So we get $500K from the AFA game, $300K from the USU game and $50K from the Boise game?
I believe Boise is already over the 1.1 Million mark.

Yes, Wyoming has done remarkably well compared to the rest of the conference in terms of 'bonus' money over the past few years. A large part of this has to do with Wyoming having not been very good and CBS Sports declining to select Wyoming's games before the season started.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:

Yes, Wyoming has done remarkably well compared to the rest of the conference in terms of 'bonus' money over the past few years. A large part of this has to do with Wyoming having not been very good and CBS Sports declining to select Wyoming's games before the season started.
According to Brew Pokes link, Boise has four games scheduled on ESPN or ESPN2. Washington @ BSU (Friday), Hawaii @ BSU (Saturday), Wyo @ Boise (Saturday) and Air Force @ Boise (Fri). That makes $1.6M for Boise unless I am missing something. Does Boise get the bonus for non-conference games? Do we get $30K from Air Force's game with Boise or are weekday games not split?
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

COS Cowboy wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:

According to Brew Pokes link, Boise has four games scheduled on ESPN or ESPN2. Washington @ BSU (Friday), Hawaii @ BSU (Saturday), Wyo @ Boise (Saturday) and Air Force @ Boise (Fri). That makes $1.6M for Boise unless I am missing something. Does Boise get the bonus for non-conference games? Do we get $30K from Air Force's game with Boise or are weekday games not split?
The way I see it is we would get 50k for our game, 30k for airforce(of course friday games would count), not sure about hawaii would guess not as it is not a bonus game since hawaii doesn't get bonuses but boise will. including the 500k for af and 300k for usu we would have 880k this year. but then in hte article it says something about "inconvience" bonus too so that hasn't added those in yet. But not sure if there is any of those. Do we have a late game that will not be a bonus game?