Next season -- 7-5 would be GREAT!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

fromolwyoming wrote:All in all, the D-Line needs to be at as good as the one that is graduating, otherwise it is going to hurt like hell next season. The O-line looks like it is coming along nicely (as just about anything would be an improvement over what we had this year).
The one benefit is that a few of the incoming players on the d-line look like they're faster than the graduating ones. Obviously speed usually means you're losing size and strength, but I hate seeing when we get the opposing QBs out of the pocket, and they escape at will because our defensive line isn't nearly fast enough to catch him.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: I hate seeing when we get the opposing QBs out of the pocket, and they escape at will because our defensive line isn't nearly fast enough to catch him.
BUT -- the reason they are getting the QB out of the pocket is because they were able to muscle past the offensive line.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote: I hate seeing when we get the opposing QBs out of the pocket, and they escape at will because our defensive line isn't nearly fast enough to catch him.
BUT -- the reason they are getting the QB out of the pocket is because they were able to muscle past the offensive line.
This is indeed true - which is why you need both speed and power rushers. :P
I think we've kind of recruited both. Riley Lange (WDE) runs a 4.65 40, which to me sounds fast for a DE at 230 lbs, regardless of where he lines up. Tyler Strong (DT) on the other hand sounds more solid at 6'3, 268. Puletasi looks a bit undersized at 215, but was clocked at 4.73, so he's not terribly slow either, although no speed demon for his size.

Meanwhile, Purcell is a bit bigger and now has a little bit of experience. I believe we also have two redshirted DE/DTs from last year (unless they played and/or left?) in Josh Martin and Mark Willis, and then a few walk-ons.