How far away from being competitive?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

3 and 9 next year. Followed by 6 and 5 win seasons over the next 3 years. There are some talented players but nothin I have seen makes me think we take a leap past 3 wins next year. Glenn and DC both had NFL talent and neither could get to 6 wins consistently, what does Bohl bring that is different? It seems he brought with him the same issues as the past two coaches ( bad coordinators).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

2-3 years away from being competitive that is the way I see it and I accept it and understand why it will take that long.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

Wyo2dal wrote:2-3 years away from being competitive that is the way I see it and I accept it and understand why it will take that long.
3 years? That would only be 5 total years. I think you are overly optimistic and simply don't understand how bad of shape WYO was in, how long TBD is, and just how fast the MWC is improving. Not long from now, we'll be softening our schedule with OOC games against Oregon, Alabama, TCU, etc.

Frankly, we will need NFL talent at every position before we are competitive. Even then, cowboy tough between the tackles can be a challenge. We'll get it done, but it might take 10 total years.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Until we get a consistent QB, we will struggle. This redshirt senior thing I don't like. Get the young guy some reps. We are wasting away some of the best RBs to ever come through the program with new starters every year. I am hoping Josh Allen pans out from what I saw in the short time I did.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

The Pokes could finish with 3 years this year......and if they started the year playing like they are now....could have won up to 5. That isn't the case, but 3 wins isn't the ceiling next year if you've been paying attention. Next year we will have more depth and more experience. The freshman recievers will have had a year in the system. And Josh Allen will have three years as a starting QB. With some luck, Brian Hill sill have the same fate as Larry Nance Jr.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

Since I'm more of football novice I have another question. There's been a lot of talk of questionable play calling/schemes on both sides of the ball this year and in many years past. Lack of coaching in some other areas as well. When's the last time we've actually been superior in coaching against opposition throughout the course of a season? This is a little harder to quantify due to talent restrictions over the years (which is due to recruiting another part of coaching of course), but this has also been an achilles heel for as long as I can remember. Has it really been since Tiller/Dimel years that we've really won in the coaching battle head to head over the course of a season? It's kind of mind boggling that we haven't gotten in some hot poop assistant coach in that time span that really lit up at least one side of the ball consistently. I feel like Glenn had a strong defense one year that was well called/schemed, but hey I wasn't paying that close attention so :whistle: I'm asking

With superior coaching then our opposition we'd at least be in games that we shouldn't be and win some that we shouldn't for that matter. This almost never seems to happen if I'm not mistaken. That's as big of a problem as any too if its true. It seems to be a major part of our wait till next year formula. :coffee:
Riding High!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

We need a WR coach. The lack of development of the freshmen WRs is linked to the lack of a real position coach.
WYOBISONMAN
Ranch Hand

I would guess the coaching staff does not feel the talent is there to run the offense differently. At NDSU we also had issues with Vigen's play calling at times, but it seemed he was unwilling to give the players more than he thought they could handle. The Pokes are pretty young and I suspect that is what is going on.

BJC
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote:We need a WR coach. The lack of development of the freshmen WRs is linked to the lack of a real position coach.
Forgot about that...normally you would assume WR would be the easiest of all positions to have true freshmen play.......
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Josh Allen is 4-6 for 51 passing yards, along with 40 rushing yards on 3 carries in a combined 2 games vs. North Dakota and Eastern Michigan. That's not a bad stat line, but I certainly didn't take "established, successful starting QB" from that either. He's probably the leader in the clubhouse next spring, but he's no sure thing.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

J-Rod wrote:Josh Allen is 4-6 for 51 passing yards, along with 40 rushing yards on 3 carries in a combined 2 games vs. North Dakota and Eastern Michigan. That's not a bad stat line, but I certainly didn't take "established, successful starting QB" from that either. He's probably the leader in the clubhouse next spring, but he's no sure thing.
Well, he did look impressive against EMU, even though he wasn't the starter when the season began. Since we are EMU's only win this year and their defense has been giving up pinball like scoring, it's hard to evaluate just how good Allen is/can be.

If he doesn't pan out, maybe we can have Smith run the wishbone.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote:We need a WR coach. The lack of development of the freshmen WRs is linked to the lack of a real position coach.
Yeah, didn't Bohl get rid of our WR coach due to some questionable recruiting or something of that nature? He had one of the other coaches fill in for the year. So we will see how they fare under a new Position coach probably by spring.
BJC
A Real Cowboy

We ever find out what happened with that?
snowsailor
Buckaroo

So which moral victories are we touting this week?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

snowsailor wrote:So which moral victories are we touting this week?
If I could moon you through the internet I would.
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Josh Allen is 4-6 for 51 passing yards, along with 40 rushing yards on 3 carries in a combined 2 games vs. North Dakota and Eastern Michigan. That's not a bad stat line, but I certainly didn't take "established, successful starting QB" from that either. He's probably the leader in the clubhouse next spring, but he's no sure thing.
Well, he did look impressive against EMU, even though he wasn't the starter when the season began. Since we are EMU's only win this year and their defense has been giving up pinball like scoring, it's hard to evaluate just how good Allen is/can be.

If he doesn't pan out, maybe we can have Smith run the wishbone.
If he doesn't pan out, Chandler Garrett will be there to step in.

Garrett will step in Day 1 and instantly be better than Smith, and it won't even be close.

A comparison:
Smith, senior season HS: 126-221-1,677-14-8 (in 12 games)
Garrett, senior season HS: 145-229-2,066-16-8 (through 8 games)
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

ragtimejoe1 wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:2-3 years away from being competitive that is the way I see it and I accept it and understand why it will take that long.
3 years? That would only be 5 total years. I think you are overly optimistic and simply don't understand how bad of shape WYO was in, how long TBD is, and just how fast the MWC is improving. Not long from now, we'll be softening our schedule with OOC games against Oregon, Alabama, TCU, etc.

Frankly, we will need NFL talent at every position before we are competitive. Even then, cowboy tough between the tackles can be a challenge. We'll get it done, but it might take 10 total years.
I've been watching the pokes for going on 30 years I'm fully aware of what shape we are in.

Maybe you don't comprehend what the word competitive means. I didn't say we would be top 25 or even winning MWC Championships what I said is in 2-3 years we will be competitive.
Cosmic Cowboy
A Real Cowboy

:hijack: :hijack: :hijack:
I'd like to step back in to keep the thread on topic. It is about us being competitive, when you think that can happen,and how can we get there. You can define it your own way I suppose. I'd personally consider it to be the Pokes being able to threaten to win in over 50% of our games. Even if say we make a bonehead TO every game that costs us the game but we played within 7 or 10 points, maybe we had the lead, etc, well that would be competitive imo. Hell we could actually have our current record but at least be competitive (which we aren't really this year unless we win out or close to it). HAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol: How many truly close heartbreakers have we lost this year??? ZERO close ones! Damn its hard to believe we got dominated like that so early this year...it really is hard to fathom. Sorry off topic again haha but yeah we weren't really competitive those first 6 games. So I can't say we've been competitive this season without a big turn around..... unfortunately we're just so snake bit this year. :wtf:
Riding High!!!
joshvanklomp
WyoNation Addict

Wyo2dal wrote:
ragtimejoe1 wrote:

I've been watching the pokes for going on 30 years I'm fully aware of what shape we are in.

Maybe you don't comprehend what the word competitive means. I didn't say we would be top 25 or even winning MWC Championships what I said is in 2-3 years we will be competitive.
Don't listen to RJ, he just likes fabricating opinions of what he thinks the so-called "Bohl fanboys" think, and 99% of his posts are sarcastically making fun of these make-believe opinions.
I said it sucks.....to be.....a CSU Ram! #GoWyo
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

joshvanklomp wrote: If he doesn't pan out, Chandler Garrett will be there to step in.

Garrett will step in Day 1 and instantly be better than Smith, and it won't even be close.

A comparison:
Smith, senior season HS: 126-221-1,677-14-8 (in 12 games)
Garrett, senior season HS: 145-229-2,066-16-8 (through 8 games)
This is kinda what I was alluding to. More impressed with Garrett's tape than what I saw from Allen in brief action against one of the worst FBS defenses Wyoming will ever see. Those guys are getting run by bed & breakfasts. Won't be shocked if Chandler joins the youth movement next fall.