On the topic of successful coaches leaving UW...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

And on the heels of Gags article written about the topic...

I find it rediculous that so many Wyoming fans automatically throw their hands in the air, and believe the sky is falling, when the team has just a small taste of success.

I saw it with Glenn, and now I have seen it with Christensen. Rediculous. The team finished 5th in a league of 9. That is the bottom half. We weren't competitive with BYU or TCU. And yet, our fans (a lot of them) think that 7 & 6 is success and the coach will leave?!?

Just had to say it here, that mentality pisses me off.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote:And on the heels of Gags article written about the topic...

I find it rediculous that so many Wyoming fans automatically throw their hands in the air, and believe the sky is falling, when the team has just a small taste of success.

I saw it with Glenn, and now I have seen it with Christensen. Rediculous. The team finished 5th in a league of 9. That is the bottom half. We weren't competitive with BYU or TCU. And yet, our fans (a lot of them) think that 7 & 6 is success and the coach will leave?!?

Just had to say it here, that mentality pisses me off.
Actually, finishing 5th out of 9 is right smack dab in the middle. Lost to the 4 above us, beat the 4 behind us. As of now, AFA is that stepping stone into the top 4. Which is really more of a top 3, as there is a gap between AFA and whoever comes in 3rd. A mile wide gap. They played close with TCU, sure, but it seems after that, TCU put the pedal to the medal and has been blowing through everyone.
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Gotta link to that article?

Worrying about successful coaches leaving is useless. As a consultant, this exact same thing happens in my profession daily. Basically, my business is only as good as the people I have. When I have good people, business is good and there is always a danger of them leaving for better jobs. I do what I can to keep them and otherwise just don't worry about it. Sometimes they leave and sometimes they don't and they all have their own reasons for staying/leaving. However, when I have people that I'm not worried about losing, business is not so good. I do much better when I have people that are capable of leaving.

Obviously, same goes for coaching. We want a coach that we are worried about losing. Very few coaches stay in places long term so its not just a laramie situation. If we are happy with mediocrity, we could have kept Glenn for another 5-10 years....but there is no doubt he'd have left as fast as any other coach given a great opportunity. It would sure be a hell of a lot easier getting good coaches if one leaves and we follow it up with another that has great succes, and leaves, and follow it up...etc. Just can't throw any Koenings/Locksleys in there to F things up.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:Gotta link to that article?
I looked, but couldn't find it. It was in the WTE & Boomerang about a week ago. Couldn't believe it...although it ended more positive than it started.
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:Gotta link to that article?
I looked, but couldn't find it. It was in the WTE & Boomerang about a week ago. Couldn't believe it...although it ended more positive than it started.
I do remember reading about it myself. Not one of my favorite sports articles. :?
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I don't know if I would consider some of the bloggers quoted in the article as "fans." The poster that started the "Coach Christensen is leaving soon" crap is very anti-Wyoming athletics. I don't know if the poster is a CSU fan, Joe Glenn apologist or Geology Museum supporter, but he/she spent the entire season posting about how bad Wyoming was, how the Cowboys weren't going to win a game (then only one game, then only two games, then only three...you get the drift). When it was announced that Wyoming was playing Fresno State, then the posts were about how FSU was going to trounce Wyoming. After the bowl victory, he/she began posting how DC would be gone soon. He/she was just attempting to bring a negative to the success the team enjoyed this year. Unfotunately, Gags jumped on it. I do agree with the poster quoted who said that if DC does leave, then that means we have had several years of success and hopefully, with a contract extension, could make some cash via a contract buy out.
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cheywypoke wrote:Here's the link to the article:

http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/200 ... -24-09.txt
Good find...thanks.
Dear Karma,

WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Look, if he leaves, he will have been successful at his first head coaching job. We won't have anything to complain about. We got a ways to go.

What is probably more important is making sure that we give our athletics program the resources it needs to win games and be successful. What does that entail? Investing in our facilities; continuing to upgrade them to attract good recruits; showing up to regular season and bowl games (no one wants to play in an empty stadium). Providing a good atmosphere and a campus/town that people want to go to school/live in.

The better the coaching staff, the talent, and the facilities, the better off we will be. Does salary factor in? Sure it does, but with more success we should be able to afford to keep the personnel around.

What if the coach still wants to leave? We'll, we have done what we can to help them be successful. We go out and find a new coach and keep building an atmosphere that makes winning as easy as possible.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

wyobrandon nailed it - if he leaves, that means he won games here (or he got fired), and fans should be happy. Unfortunately, the best UW can hope for is a Boise/Utah type situation where coaches win, they move on, but leave a capable assistant to take over - it's gonna be tough to find a Tiller-type that would love to retire here (even though he didn't get the chance).

DC put a lot of research into UW before he came here. He believes he has the support, facilities, and money to win here. If he leaves it will likely be to a big time BCS program and not some school one step up, and for that to happen we will have to be winning 10+ games a year.

We heard the same thing with Glenn after he won the Vegas Bowl. Face it, DC has a long ways to go and win a lot of games to get his stock where a BCS program will come calling - at least another 3-5 years.

On another note, hopefully the MWC will be BCS conference soon, and UW will have LOT more money in its coffers to pay and retain coaches.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

PokeNer wrote:On another note, hopefully the MWC will be BCS conference soon, and UW will have LOT more money in its coffers to pay and retain coaches.
Amen to that!.............and the fact McPeachy has another new Avatar!
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!