Keeping recruits

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Ronalduw
Buckaroo

Cant help but wonder how much better our D would be if we had Kongbo (i know thats getting old news) but also barber (db at Nevada who originally committed to us. He has now been POW twice as a true freshman. Lets hope we can land, and perhaps more importantly keep, equally talented players this year.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Ronalduw wrote:Cant help but wonder how much better our D would be if we had Kongbo (i know thats getting old news) but also barber (db at Nevada who originally committed to us. He has now been POW twice as a true freshman. Lets hope we can land, and perhaps more importantly keep, equally talented players this year.
Agree that Kongbo would have helped. He would have been next in line before Granderson and Prosser....both of who needed to redshirt. Barber seems like a good player, but we have some good db's. They, like Barber, are young. At least we were able to beat Barber.....kind of nice considering he jumped at the last minute.

Personally, I think we have some good young players on the roster, we have some good looking players redshirting, and, believe it or not, we have some decent recruits in this upcoming class regardless of how the team in playing.

It is just going to take a couple years to build some depth. In two years we should see the team we want instead of the team we're seeing this season. We should have 230+ lb linebackers and 240+ lb defensive ends. We won't have 265 lbs offensive linemen either.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Here is where I see a good coaching decision:

We brought in Granderson and Ghiffan(spell) and DEs last year.
We were lacking in depth behind Yarbrough.
Do we A: Redshirt your best DE recruit and play the other?

Do we B: redshirt both and have an extreme lack in depth?

Do we C: play your best as a backup and lose an extra year for him to build and still have four straight years to play?

Bohl decided to RS Ghiffan ( a 250lb Frosh DE) and played a 200lb Granderson.

Granderson gains in game experience and will build in size before next year, and Ghiffan gets to build in strength and size and gain experience through practice, video and learning from Yarbrough this year.

So now next year instead of just Ghiffan at game ready, both Ghiffan and Granderson will be game ready.

I'm also excited to see the size of our incoming recruits, it is much needed.

So, as abysmal as this year is (which I expected) I see hope for the future.

Call it pumping Sunshine, call me a fanboy, call me a moron, I don't care. I know what I see and it is looking good.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

You could also say the same thing about Jaylon Watson. Who, if he didn't redshirt, would easily be our biggest linebacker. Luckily, we don't waste his scholarship this year and will have him for 4 years...with a year already under his belt.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

I don't think we'll have trouble keeping kids on this team. Transferring is such a pain in the butt and I bet all the kids in the program think they are set up pretty well to get playing time. Lots of people may not see it, but I think a lot of the players realize that this is going to be a very good program sooner rather than later. Playing for Wyoming can be pretty cool when the team doesn't suck.
PokeOLoco
A Real Cowboy

Also don't forget the transfer from UCLA at corner, he could be huge next year for our secondary.
“Being around Colorado State, I saw that football wasn’t really a big sport there," Parker said Sunday night.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

PokeOLoco wrote:Also don't forget the transfer from UCLA at corner, he could be huge next year for our secondary.
Completely forgot about him. Just another piece to the puzzle. We are going to be better next year.
The significance of better will be determined by each individual players progression, strength and ability to mesh as a unit and team and then things we cannot control, like injuries. I will say that had we not had the amount of significant injuries that we have had this year, we would not be sitting at 1 win. I really believe we would be at about 3 or 4 by now.
But we get a lot of experience back that we have lost due to injury as well this year.