Replacements for Hammer...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

1. Jovon Bouknight
2. Marcus Harris
3. Ryan Yarborough

You pick it DC, any one of those guys can teach kids how to run a pattern, get open, CATCH THE BALL, and get some serious YAC.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Oh, and promote Marty English to Assistant Head Coach in replacement of Hammer!
Dear Karma,

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

You'd think Bouknight would be able to teach the kids a thing or two - but then again, the best players aren't always the best coaches. Just look at what Wayne Gretzky did to Phoenix Coyotes.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

i like your list and english recommendation! i just hate that the asst head coach that ran the practices while DC was passing stones is going to be on the csu staff next year, 2 time traitor! i would love to know DCs reaction to this, cause if it were no big deal to him and he doesn't think it will give them any advantage then i wouldnt care either, but i can only speculate that he is pissed that he took a chance on a csu guy and got burnt by it, lammies cant be trusted.

replacement could be from your list or anyone with killer recruiting ability, or a great recruit in the pocket kinda like arroyo and ACS.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:1. Jovon Bouknight
2. Marcus Harris
3. Ryan Yarborough

You pick it DC, any one of those guys can teach kids how to run a pattern, get open, CATCH THE BALL, and get some serious YAC.

I can't believe you overlooked the obvious choice.

Welcome back Joe Tiller. That would be awesome.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote:Oh, and promote Marty English to Assistant Head Coach in replacement of Hammer!
I hope you aren't serious. If you didn't notice, our defense took a major hit this season and it wasn't because of a change in players. We lost three guys: Dobbs (who was replaced with another all-conference performer), Ray (who was mediocre at best), and Juergens (who was replaced by Biezuns). I don't really see why our defense should have taken as big of a hit as it did. Add in the fact that our offense was improved, although only marginally, but it did result in our defense being on the field less. That was always the excuse: the defense was wearing down from being on the field too long. Well, the defense finally got less time on the field and the result was worse than before.

The schemes used by the defense were horrible in my opinion. They didn't seem to change from team to team. Always the same approach...try to prevent the big play. It looked like we were playing a base, cover 3 nearly 75% of the time. That isn't going to get it done against any team worth a damn. Good quarterbacks will pick that defense apart, especially when they see it over and over throughout the game. Take a look at what Max Hall and BYU did against it. Not to mention that the other team could have literally ran a WR screen on every single play and continued to move down the field because our CB's were constantly 10-15 yards off of the receiver. Dink and dunks might not be pretty, but those types of pass plays KILLED us all season long.

I'll say this, if we would have lost to CSU and didn't make a bowl game, I find it highly likely that coach English is looking for a job elsewhere. The defense was a HUGE disappointment in my opinion. Definitely does not warrant any sort of promotion in my opinion.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Bouknight would make sense.. since he was a grad assistant a couple of years ago.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

Jovon is coaching at USU but im sure he would leave pick JOVON
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Wow, sounds like TheRealUW wasn't happy with the defense...understood, you have valid and well thought out points. But I would like to play devils advocate for a second and point out that
1. The offenses we face this year were much better than last year.
2. The offenses were more aggressive because we had the ability to score 30+ points a game this year.
3. Truly, I didn't see the defense being any worse this year than last year, I think it was about the same, we gave up more yards because the offenses had farther to go, last year with the turnovers they didn't have for to go, built a huge lead, and could milk the clock.
4. Last year we were out of games early, this year that only happened once I can think of(BYU, which was pathetic)

I understand your points, but think this years D actually was very similar to last year, with pretty much the same guys.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

Fullback41 wrote:Wow, sounds like TheRealUW wasn't happy with the defense...understood, you have valid and well thought out points. But I would like to play devils advocate for a second and point out that
1. The offenses we face this year were much better than last year.
2. The offenses were more aggressive because we had the ability to score 30+ points a game this year.
3. Truly, I didn't see the defense being any worse this year than last year, I think it was about the same, we gave up more yards because the offenses had farther to go, last year with the turnovers they didn't have for to go, built a huge lead, and could milk the clock.
4. Last year we were out of games early, this year that only happened once I can think of(BYU, which was pathetic)

I understand your points, but think this years D actually was very similar to last year, with pretty much the same guys.
Well, also pretty limited on what we could do up front with a 3-4 scheme. But they are looking to go to a 4-3 next year, just that we didn't seem to have the right players to make it happen this year.

Also, I would go with Bouknight as well. He helped win the Vegas Bowl back in '04, and is what, our 3rd best reciever ever in school history? Put him in.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote:
McPeachy wrote:Oh, and promote Marty English to Assistant Head Coach in replacement of Hammer!
I hope you aren't serious. If you didn't notice, our defense took a major hit this season and it wasn't because of a change in players. We lost three guys: Dobbs (who was replaced with another all-conference performer), Ray (who was mediocre at best), and Juergens (who was replaced by Biezuns). I don't really see why our defense should have taken as big of a hit as it did. Add in the fact that our offense was improved, although only marginally, but it did result in our defense being on the field less. That was always the excuse: the defense was wearing down from being on the field too long. Well, the defense finally got less time on the field and the result was worse than before.

The schemes used by the defense were horrible in my opinion. They didn't seem to change from team to team. Always the same approach...try to prevent the big play. It looked like we were playing a base, cover 3 nearly 75% of the time. That isn't going to get it done against any team worth a damn. Good quarterbacks will pick that defense apart, especially when they see it over and over throughout the game. Take a look at what Max Hall and BYU did against it. Not to mention that the other team could have literally ran a WR screen on every single play and continued to move down the field because our CB's were constantly 10-15 yards off of the receiver. Dink and dunks might not be pretty, but those types of pass plays KILLED us all season long.

I'll say this, if we would have lost to CSU and didn't make a bowl game, I find it highly likely that coach English is looking for a job elsewhere. The defense was a HUGE disappointment in my opinion. Definitely does not warrant any sort of promotion in my opinion.
Are you serious? Are you sober? Did you pay any attention to what the heck happened? Trying chekcing out the TOP in the games where we wore out. Check out the special teams play in the Texas game and the second half field possession. The reason we made late game comebacks was because the defense kept us in a position of bieng able to comeback. Fortunately you aren't a decision maker. It's an attitude like that which led Joe Tiller to feel he wasn't appreciated in Wyoming and decide he should leave.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Cowboy Junky wrote:
I can't believe you overlooked the obvious choice.

Welcome back Joe Tiller. That would be awesome.
Junky...come on. You think DC & his (shall we say) personality & values, would let Joe Tiller be a member of his staff. You crack me up. ;)
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

TheRealUW wrote:The defense was a HUGE disappointment in my opinion. Definitely does not warrant any sort of promotion in my opinion.
Agree...the defense had issues (at times)...but they still were just as competitive as ever really. I hear you on the schemes also...I hate the way our DB's play 10 - 15 yards off the WR's, but that is not a English solo decision. UW has been doing that for years...a product of the talent level of those positions.

And ya, I don't think "promotion" is the right word (but may be warrented)...I chose to think it would be more like a "stability" move for the program. UW needs some of that.
Dear Karma,

zappinpoke
Cowpoke

[quote]by gopokes1399 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm
Jovon is coaching at USU but im sure he would leave pick JOVON[/quote

He just got promoted from Grad Asst to receivers coach a couple of days ago. :brick:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

zappinpoke wrote:
by gopokes1399 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:39 pm
Jovon is coaching at USU but im sure he would leave pick JOVON[/quote

He just got promoted from Grad Asst to receivers coach a couple of days ago. :brick:
Damn. Guess USU heard about this and gave him the promotion. I guess they really want to be a good team this year (so would I, having to be stuck in BYU's and Utah's shadow for over a decade in D1A).
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

not really in the coaching scene but a fun name to throw out there....Jay Novacek!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Fullback41 wrote:not really in the coaching scene but a fun name to throw out there....Jay Novacek!
Nice! That would help our recruiting in the TE department. Not gonna happen tho.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

damn jovon wouldve been awesome
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Jovon was the real deal, he played all out every play! He made tough catches, He didn't short arm passes over the middle, he didn't drop passes, he didn't shy away from contact, he was a fierce downfield blocker, you couldn't ask him to do anything more. He was fun to watch.
The Road
Ranch Hand

Here is a list of a few possible candidates I put together. Could take over as Assistant Coach or just handle WR's. I think Bouknight could still come up from Utah State. No one would blame him for taking a job with his alma mater.

http://cowboyaltitude.blogspot.com/2009 ... coach.html