Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4772952
Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletic director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer, 45, said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family."

Meyer will coach his last game for Florida against Cincinnati on Jan. 1 at the Sugar Bowl.

"Coach Meyer and I have talked this through and I realize how hard this was for him to reach this decision," Foley said in a statement. "But, the bottom line is that Coach Meyer needed to make a choice that is in the best interest of his well being and his family. I certainly appreciate what he has meant to the University of Florida, our football program and the Gator Nation. I have never seen anyone more committed to his players, his family and his program. Above all, I appreciate our friendship."

Meyer helped the Gators win two national titles in five years at Florida. He is the only coach to win two BCS titles.

A three-time national coach of the year, Meyer is 95-18 in nine seasons. Meyer's five-year record at Florida is 56-10, including a school-record stretch of 22 straight consecutive wins, the fourth longest streak by an SEC team and the longest in the conference in 15 years.

Meyer, 45, holds a 32-8 mark in SEC play at Florida, which is the top career SEC winning percentage among head coaches who spent five years or more in the conference.

Meyer came to Florida from Utah, where he closed out his stint with 16 consecutive wins. He began his head coaching career at Bowling Green in 2001, where he engineered the top turnaround in NCAA Division I-A football, showing a six-win improvement from the previous season. The Falcons rebounded from a 2-9 record with their first winning season (8-3) since 1994.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Sad situation, hopefully he can overcome whatever his health condition may be.

A lot of speculation already of Gary Patterson, Chris Peterson, Kyle Whittingham...but I just have a feeling that Jim Harbaugh gets that job.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Honestly.. I'd give the job to a FL assistant. Who better to take over than the guys that Urban has been grooming. Patterson just signed an extension at TCU. Peterson would be interesting. Whittingham.. dunno if he'd leave Utah. Harbaugh.. I think he's looking for the quickest train outta Palo Alto he can find.
ImageImageImageImage
gopokes1399
Blog Team

sad stuff has a heart condition hopefully he returns soon
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Am I the only person who thinks there might be more to this story than what they are saying? Non-life threatening heart issues that have never been mentioned or caused a problem before, and all of a sudden the condition warrants retirement? Treated for dehydration which has absolutely nothing to do with heart conditions? Now he wants to just take a break? Is that heart condition going to fix itself over the break? Something stinks about this story.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

My theory....

He wants to be away from the transition year where there's no Tebow. Then after, say a 4-8 season or whatever next yr., Urban comes back like the Second Coming of God to everyone in Gainesville.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyokie wrote:My theory....

He wants to be away from the transition year where there's no Tebow. Then after, say a 4-8 season or whatever next yr., Urban comes back like the Second Coming of God to everyone in Gainesville.
Didn't he say that he's coming back for the 2010 season now?
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:

As of now, he wants to take a year off then come back to coach Florida. :roll:

But, he could change his mind again........
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

Wyokie wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:

As of now, he wants to take a year off then come back to coach Florida. :roll:

But, he could change his mind again........
Oh, I don't know if I ever heard that one :P
I only heard that he was taking off from now until August... but you're probably right. I haven't paid all that much attention.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 105 times

Update: Yesterday he was rushed to the hospital after complaining of chest pain and tingling in his left arm.

Odd for two reasons. 1, UF has said over and over again that he isn't leaving due to heart problems. 2, they also said he checked himself into the hospital. 911 tapes shot that story to hell.

This sounds really bad for Urban. I wish him the best.

On a side note, UF says that he will return next season in a non-coaching capacity.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

WYO1016 wrote:Update: Yesterday he was rushed to the hospital after complaining of chest pain and tingling in his left arm.

Odd for two reasons. 1, UF has said over and over again that he isn't leaving due to heart problems. 2, they also said he checked himself into the hospital. 911 tapes shot that story to hell.

On a side note, UF says that he will return next season in a non-coaching capacity.
I hope the guy is alright.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

WYO1016 wrote:Update: Yesterday he was rushed to the hospital after complaining of chest pain and tingling in his left arm.

It wasn't yesterday, it was Dec. 6 after the SEC Championship.. according to ESPN.
ImageImageImageImage