Brian Johnson to coach Ute QBs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footb ... 10aaa.html
Brian Johnson, the winningest quarterback in Utah football history and the 2008 Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Year, has joined the Ute staff as an assistant coach, head coach Kyle Whittingham announced today. Johnson will oversee the quarterbacks and fills a vacancy left by J.D. Williams, who accepted a position with UNLV after one year as Utah's cornerbacks coach.

"The addition of Brian Johnson to our coaching staff is a huge positive for our program," says Whittingham. "Brian was an outstanding player for us, has natural leadership ability and possesses a complete understanding of the game. Brian's intelligence, knowledge of the quarterback position and tireless work ethic will help make his transition into coaching a smooth one. Our players respect and admire Brian, and they will respond well to him in his new role."

"I am really excited for this opportunity and am grateful for Coach Whitt's confidence and trust in me," says Johnson. "The chance to coach at my alma mater and help build on the success we have enjoyed here at Utah is really a dream come true. I learned from some great coaches in my time here as a player and I feel I am well prepared for this job. I am looking forward to working with Jordan (Wynn) and Terrance (Cain), as well as the rest of the quarterbacks, and to remain a contributing part of Utah's football success."

Age should not be a factor for the Baytown, Texas, native, who will turn 23 in February. Johnson was just 16 years old when he signed with Utah back in 2004.

Johnson went 26-7 in his three-year career as Utah's starting quarterback and set a school record for wins. He earned five bowl championship rings from 2004-08, winning MVP honors at the 2007 Poinsettia Bowl and the 2009 Sugar Bowl. As a true freshman in 2004, Johnson played in 10 games as Alex Smith's backup. He assumed the starting job in 2005--injuring his knee late in the season and taking a redshirt year in 2006. Johnson returned to start in his final two seasons, and culminated his career by leading Utah to a 13-0 record and No. 2 national ranking in 2008.

Johnson graduated from Utah in the May of 2008 with a bachelor's degree in mass communication and was a four-time Academic All-Conference honoree. He served as a team captain his senior season.
ImageImageImageImage
The Road
Ranch Hand

Good hire for the Utes. Bad news for the rest of the Moutain West.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

the guy was a stud
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

The Road wrote:Good hire for the Utes. Bad news for the rest of the Moutain West.
As has been discussed on here several times...we'll see if good player translates to good coach.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
The Road
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:
The Road wrote:Good hire for the Utes. Bad news for the rest of the Moutain West.
As has been discussed on here several times...we'll see if good player translates to good coach.
That is true. Sometimes the great players don't always make the best coaches.