Welcome to the Vic Koening era of Wyoming basketball

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

I wasn't able to watch all of the game last night, which I think is a good thing for my sanity, but this analogy hit me as I was reading both boards this morning. We are currently witnessing the "Vic Koening era" of Wyoming basketball. Let's take a look:

Mac had some reasonable success with somebody else's recruits but couldn't keep up with his own guys and made a lot of fans angry before he left. Just like Dimel. In order to appease fans and hopefully keep the train on track, the AD made the "easy" choice and went with Koening. Koening had no HC experience, but he "knew the system," the players and the school, which should have made for an easy transition and "instant" success. Very similar to Schroyer, who I realize did have some HC experience, but was still the easy choice for Burman as he was familiar with the guy and Schroyer had experience at Wyoming. Schroyer is Koening, and I think his success (or lack thereof) on the court proves it. We all know how that worked out for the football program, I just hope it doesn't mean that we have to suffer through six more years of "rah-rah" Joe-Glenn-style-coaching for the bball program.

Fans are upset, revenues have got to be down, success on the court is lacking, and to me it screams that a change needs to be made. I realize the financial situation in the AD's office may mean another year of mediocrity (or worse), but it better also means that Burman has plenty of time to get his s**t together and get a great hire. The program needs it, the fans need it, and most of all, these players deserve it.

GO POKES!
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Agreed
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Vic who? Oh yeah, that one guy. Did he ever win a game? Schroyer needs to go. I don't have any hope. I don't see one guy that can hit a jumper. We have a bunch of guys that can drive the net and put up crazy layups.
W-Y, Until I Die!