Saw something in the AA Saturday for the first time ever...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I have been attending games at the AA since it opened...1982. And even before that at the fieldhouse...for quite a few years. Now that I have dated myself, I saw something Saturday, at the men's basketball game, that I had never seen before (nor never thought I would EVER see)...

A bWHYu fan, hat, shirt, smirk, and all, smack dab in the middle of the UW student section. College aged kid, proud of the WHY, and showing his support in the middle of the "stampede" or whatever it is called. What the hell has become of Wyoming hoops? Apathy is no more clearer evident than that. :tickedoff:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote:I have been attending games at the AA since it opened...1982. And even before that at the fieldhouse...for quite a few years. Now that I have dated myself, I saw something Saturday, at the men's basketball game, that I had never seen before (nor never thought I would EVER see)...

A bWHYu fan, hat, shirt, smirk, and all, smack dab in the middle of the UW student section. College aged kid, proud of the WHY, and showing his support in the middle of the "stampede" or whatever it is called. What the hell has become of Wyoming hoops? Apathy is no more clearer evident than that. :tickedoff:
In my day he wouldn't have lasted long. Hopefully our students took care of this kid.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

JimmyDimes wrote:In my day he wouldn't have lasted long. Hopefully our students took care of this kid.
Wouldn't have lasted in my day either...and I kept looking to see if anything would be "changing" but he was treated like an invited guest. Sad.
Dear Karma,

Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

Although he was sitting behind the sheep bench, there was a mouthy, loud, obnoxious sheep fan heckling at the womens game. I told my wife I couldn't believe the students sat on their asses and didn't march over there and sit behind him and flick his ears or pound knots on his head.
I don't know, I guess it's a kinder, gentler world. The students sure don't make an atmosphere that is detrimental to opposing teams. kitty!
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Wind River Poke wrote: The students sure don't make an atmosphere that is detrimental to opposing teams. kitty!
I'd say its the basketball team that isn't making an atmosphere that is detrimental to opposing teams.
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:
Wind River Poke wrote: The students sure don't make an atmosphere that is detrimental to opposing teams. kitty!
I'd say its the basketball team that isn't making an atmosphere that is detrimental to opposing teams.
Regardless, Wyoming fans shouldn't let BYU fans in the student section. Ever!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

JimmyDimes wrote:
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy wrote:
Regardless, Wyoming fans shouldn't let BYU fans in the student section. Ever!
When I worked the games, and some fans from other teams would try to sit in the student section, I would point them to a different area. Luckily, I nearly always worked that section. I also had a tendency to piss off some of those people, but that is the student section reserved for UW students. Not the Sheep fans, the Y'ners, or any other fanbase.

Needless to say, this was still when McClain was the HC and in full swing with about 7-10,000 fans per game.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

this is one reason why i don't like the hathaway. You get kids from evanston or star vallery of lovell that would rather go to utah or byu. Instead they come to wyo cuz its free and don't give a poop about the sports teams.

Also there isn't much the students could do with out the event staff making them leave. If you chant f u byu they make you leave. If you drink a little before the game they make you leave. The students are kitty now, but not 100 % their fault. Maybe about 50 % students fault 50% who ever decides that you get kicked out for being a little rowdy.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Thats terrible. I loved the f-word you byu and csu chants
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote:this is one reason why i don't like the hathaway. You get kids from evanston or star vallery of lovell that would rather go to utah or byu. Instead they come to wyo cuz its free and don't give a s##t about the sports teams.

Also there isn't much the students could do with out the event staff making them leave. If you chant f u byu they make you leave. If you drink a little before the game they make you leave. The students are kitty now, but not 100 % their fault. Maybe about 50 % students fault 50% who ever decides that you get kicked out for being a little rowdy.
You can probably blame the guys that are in charge of Ushers, Security, and Ticket Takers for that. First 2 years I was there, those chants were rocking the Dome of Doom, and even the War. (I even participated myself, but I was in the student section, where at least half of them were drunk to begin with and didn't care). Good times. Makes me sad now. :cry:
TheCup
Ranch Hand

The transformation of the Arena and the War into nothing more than large canvasses for our corporate friends to paint on started a long time ago. I think it was Moon who started selling time to play Village Inn and Pepsi commercials endlessly in each stadium, but it might have been Barta. Except for the stains on Bud's Bar it is hard to tell the two apart anymore.

The end result of this bowing to the corporate dollar is a home field advantage that is completely emasculated. As for basketball, I believe that the Arena is now the easiest place for an opposing team to win other than Clune. And when Air Force was on their run a few years ago that little crackerbox was brutal.

As for football, if you take away weather the War is probably now last on the list in the conference as far as tough places to play except for maybe San Diego and Vegas. Our crowd is not particularly loud unless Texas is in town, the snipers are always on duty to pop anyone who gets out of line and any good cheering opportunities during play stoppages are quickly consumed by video messages from our friends at Verizon Wireless.

It truly is sad to see what our gameday atmosphere is like today compared to what I remember in the late 80's and early 90's.

Goddamnit, why do I start thinking about these things? It just pisses me off and I start drinking far too early in the day.
Danmully
Ranch Hand

All the political correctness that is pushed on everyone these days ruins a lot of the expierence in the student section. I feel sorry for them. Last year when I was in the student section I got kicked out 3 diferent games for trying to cheer for my team. What is more special then the crowd chanting f-word You BYU. Now you will be lucky to get it going at a football game let alone a basketball game. I understand trying to portray being classy, but the day I bow down to those Arrogant, Ignorant, Pompous douches that make up BYU will be a sad day and I am sad that my school bows down so proudly
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Danmully wrote:All the political correctness that is pushed on everyone these days ruins a lot of the expierence in the student section. I feel sorry for them. Last year when I was in the student section I got kicked out 3 diferent games for trying to cheer for my team. What is more special then the crowd chanting f##k You BYU. Now you will be lucky to get it going at a football game let alone a basketball game. I understand trying to portray being classy, but the day I bow down to those Arrogant, Ignorant, Pompous douches that make up BYU will be a sad day and I am sad that my school bows down so proudly
Trust me on this...it doesn't have anything to do with bWHYu, or CSewe, or any other opponent. It has to do with Leach-field, UW marketing & admin, and the almighty $$$$$$$$. The collective 3 (or 4) have done a great job in taking away the fan game-day experience. As TheCup eluded to...
Dear Karma,