new job opportunity

Keep it clean, but this is the place if you want to smack talk!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

I'll be hit and miss from here on out as I was accepted to work for a company booking travel for the fisheries people up at Dutch Harbor, Alaska, so I'll be taking Poke pride with me out in the Aleutian Islands. It's a good gig, working 3 weeks on 3 weeks off, they fly me in and out, put me up and give me a car, it's a heckuva raise and quite the adventure. On my 3 weeks off I plan on still living in Cheyenne(for now) and be able to go to a few games here and there. I am going to Reno for my away game this year still. Hopefully our Pokes can go at least 500 and I'll be on as I can, GO POKES as usual, taking the pride to the Aleutian Islands!!!!
Last edited by stymeman on Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Congratulations! Sounds like a great gig!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

nervous and excited, but one that I waited a whole year to apply for thinking I'd get it, sure enough!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

it's quite the adjustment, flights in and out of Anchorage are hit and miss, didn't see my bags for 48 hours my 1st 48 hours up there, 1 change of clothes, so I kept some at the apt up there. Interesting people, Interesting country, beautiful. It truly is a boom town, very isolated, no cell service with Verizon, internet/wifi is there but $40 per gig, no thanks, rain/drizzle most of time, saw some whales, salmonberries-blueberries everywhere. Food at Safeway about double what we pay down here. We'll see how long I keep it....it's an adventurous adjustment now. LOL
We'll bring Poke Pride to the Aleutians for sure, I head out again this Sunday and back around Sept. 7 for another report. LOL GO POKES
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

stymeman wrote:it's quite the adjustment, flights in and out of Anchorage are hit and miss, didn't see my bags for 48 hours my 1st 48 hours up there, 1 change of clothes, so I kept some at the apt up there. Interesting people, Interesting country, beautiful. It truly is a boom town, very isolated, no cell service with Verizon, internet/wifi is there but $40 per gig, no thanks, rain/drizzle most of time, saw some whales, salmonberries-blueberries everywhere. Food at Safeway about double what we pay down here. We'll see how long I keep it....it's an adventurous adjustment now. LOL
We'll bring Poke Pride to the Aleutians for sure, I head out again this Sunday and back around Sept. 7 for another report. LOL GO POKES
Just happened to see this thread and your posts. What a great experience! Travel safe, and take it in!

We will be in Reno this year as well - let's kill a cold one!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

foggy today, but somewhat ok in "paradise" , still debating, but plan on the Sept. 17 game in Laramie and the trip to Reno for sure!!! cya then, later from the Aleutians
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

If someone randomly hands you a NDA to sign, do it. We would love to see your unblurred face on Deadliest Catch.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

ok so I went twice and had a change of heart/mind, the isolation factor was a bit too much and the job was nutz during the slow season and I couldn't keep up, I could only imagine what it'll be like during the crazy busy crabbing season Dec. 26......I tried, but I'm perfectly happy here in W.Y.O as well, thank goodness my old job kept me as well. I tried!!!! It takes a special breed to live in Alaska, especially on the Aleutian Islands!!! LOL
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

You never know until you try! I applaud you for stepping out of your comfort zone and giving it a shot!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:You never know until you try! I applaud you for stepping out of your comfort zone and giving it a shot!
many thanks and it was an adventure and it wasn't for a lack of TRY, LOL, will be in Laramie on Saturday, hoooray