Short article on possible bowls and the economics of it

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

If UW plays in this game, and it’s on the road, the MW takes care of all the expenses
so basically hawaii hosting a conf championship would damn near bankrupt the mw
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

Or Hawaii just being in a conference championship, I guess.

Also, I was surprised we made even the pittances we did in the NM bowls. The majority of bowls are poor/losing propositions for schools, for the reasons touched upon in the article.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

SnowyRange wrote:
Or Hawaii just being in a conference championship, I guess.

Also, I was surprised we made even the pittances we did in the NM bowls. The majority of bowls are poor/losing propositions for schools, for the reasons touched upon in the article.

if we only netted 10k at the last bowl.......how much did it cost temple?

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

Isn't the NM bowl the first one? So that would save us the most money. If it comes down to the NM Bowl or Boise Bowl please let it be the NM Bowl.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

About money. Is Trump going to reinstate coal, making it a viable revenue source for Wyoming (and thus the university)?
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

Adv8RU12 wrote:About money. Is Trump going to reinstate coal, making it a viable revenue source for Wyoming (and thus the university)?
trump could relax some regulations on mining and using coal.......but i doubt it would do much if any good at this point

SnowyRange
Ranch Hand

if we only netted 10k at the last bowl.......how much did it cost temple?
You can bet Temple lost a bunch.
About money. Is Trump going to reinstate coal
Sure, he'll order the world markets to change via a tweet.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:About money. Is Trump going to reinstate coal, making it a viable revenue source for Wyoming (and thus the university)?
Huh? What is 'reinstating' coal?

In order to make coal a more viable revenue source that would encourage companies to ramp up production, natural gas prices would need to increase significantly thus increasing the demand and price for coal. I, personally, don't see that happening with the abundance of East coast shale supply and the ability of natural gas producers to turn profits at $3.50/mcf.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote:
Huh? What is 'reinstating' coal?

In order to make coal a more viable revenue source that would encourage companies to ramp up production, natural gas prices would need to increase significantly thus increasing the demand and price for coal. I, personally, don't see that happening with the abundance of East coast shale supply and the ability of natural gas producers to turn profits at $3.50/mcf.
unless the epa bans fracking

not saying i would agree with it, but that would definitely change the supply/demand balance

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

whyoh wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
unless the epa bans fracking

not saying i would agree with it, but that would definitely change the supply/demand balance
Yes, if the EPA (although I don't know how this would not exceed their authority) were to ban hydraulic fracturing of tight sands and shales, coal would boom like never seen before...although I would probably be looking for a new job :( . In a strange twist, a ban of 'fracking' would probably lead to great prosperity for the State of Wyoming due to our coal resources and a coalbed methane production resurgence.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

The bigger issue with coal is the EPA standards coal fired power plants have to meet in around 2018 (possibly sooner). Many can't meet the standards, such as the Carbon Pacificorp plant in Helper, UT. It can't meet the standards and is forced to shut down. The number is about 20% nationwide won't meet the new standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elfletcho
Ranch Hand

Poke-proud wrote:
The bigger issue with coal is the EPA standards coal fired power plants have to meet in around 2018 (possibly sooner). Many can't meet the standards, such as the Carbon Pacificorp plant in Helper, UT. It can't meet the standards and is forced to shut down. The number is about 20% nationwide won't meet the new standards.

Yeah the Clean Power Plan will be the first thing to go. Those standards are gone. This guy will be the next head of the EPA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... al-legacy/

EPA career employee response

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060045642
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Regardless of what happens with regulations, I think it'd be wise for Wyoming to try hard to diversify their economy. Yes, coal will be around for another 20 years, but it's likely it'll keep shrinking, especially with dying international demand and with alternate power sources declining in cost rapidly. Hell, even solar is dropping at a steady 12% per year as both battery and solar cells keep improving and getting cheaper.

Question is - exactly what should Wyoming try to get into?
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

elfletcho wrote:
Poke-proud wrote:

Yeah the Clean Power Plan will be the first thing to go. Those standards are gone. This guy will be the next head of the EPA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... al-legacy/

EPA career employee response

http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060045642
Fine with me if it does. Historically I've not seen too many regulations relaxed, maybe this will be a first.

303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Looks like BYU accepted a bid to the Poinsettia Bowl already. What could be better than watching UW pound the stormin Mormons in San Diego??
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

Asmodeanreborn wrote:Regardless of what happens with regulations, I think it'd be wise for Wyoming to try hard to diversify their economy. Yes, coal will be around for another 20 years, but it's likely it'll keep shrinking, especially with dying international demand and with alternate power sources declining in cost rapidly. Hell, even solar is dropping at a steady 12% per year as both battery and solar cells keep improving and getting cheaper.

Question is - exactly what should Wyoming try to get into?
+1000. Its great for us to be able to have coal in the short term. It will help us pay the bills. Knowing it will go away, it gives us a great opportunity to determine what we would like to see the Wyoming economy diversified with.

The only real chance for coal is figuring out how to capture carbon dioxide output from it and either destroy it, or put it somewhere. And if we can accomplish figuring that out - thats a huge help to keeping on mining it. But even then, coal will only last so long.

At some point, we are going to have to figure out how to pull some CO2 out of the atmosphere at a reasonable price. There are some options here. I hope we figure it out.